SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm beginning to hate Apple
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm beginning to hate Apple Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
I own an Apple IIP, one of the earliest ones to roll out of Woz's garage. It was a marvel in it's day. My son all but wore it out when he was a boy, so I have some residual goodwill there.

I woke up this morning to find my iPad had updated, my ID password no longer works and I am supposed to have some sort of key to use to redo a password. I have no memory of ever setting up a key.

If I understand this right, my only choice is to set up an entire new ID, probably losing all the notes, iBook material, et al. I'm not happy.

Any other ideas how to set this right?

What other brands of notebook might work in the sub notebook role? My iPhone is a 4S, still running iOS4 or something and is no longer supported, so I can't use many of the apps on it, like Schwab. It may be time to part ways with Apple.

I don't use the phone all that much and for some reason, incoming texts give an alert from everyone but my wife, so I'm under pressure to upgrade. Maybe another brand would serve both roles.

Any ideas? I'm unhappy.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have had three Samsung Android phones in a row now - the 3, 5, and 7. I also have a Samsung tablet which was the top-of-the-line when I got it two years ago, but which is now a version or two out of date. I have been happy with them.

I did use the first Apple tablet, but I immediately preferred Android when I started using it.

I think Apple might be better for people who don't want to customize or fiddle with the computer. But I know you are a fairly sophisticated computer user - I think you might like Android better.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I doubt it changed your password, I did the update last night on two iPhone 7plus models and they didn't lose anything, I did have to put in the password however it didn't change

Perhaps you are just keying it incorrectly, I know I've had to put my password in a few times when I was in a hurry, have to slow down with the keyboard so small and my fat fingers it's for certain that I'll put in the wrong letter without trying.

You do have to put in the password for your iCloud for it to sync with the cloud, you can skip that step and come back to it later, iCloud passwords contain numbers, letters and at least one capital letter if that helps.

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
My wife was complaining about the same problem. She waited a while and tried her password again and it worked. She just assumed she had made a mistake entering her password.
Google mentioned that a high volume of upgrades might be causing problems.
My BIL, a tech type guy, advised me to wait a few days before jumping on any updates to give them time to iron out any unforeseen wrinkles in the update. After all this, I figure this update can wait a while longer.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
My wife was complaining about the same problem. She waited a while and tried her password again and it worked. She just assumed she had made a mistake entering her password.
Google mentioned that a high volume of upgrades might be causing problems.
My BIL, a tech type guy, advised me to wait a few days before jumping on any updates to give them time to iron out any unforeseen wrinkles in the update. After all this, I figure this update can wait a while longer.

It invited me to upgrade yesterday, "now" or "later." I picked "later." "Later" apparently was last night.

It's funny because in the past, when I chose "later", it bugged me for weeks about the upgrade before I manually did it now.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Is 2 factor authorization enabled?

2 Factor Authorization for Apple ID

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrbill345:

Not that I know of.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
When it updates the software you have to put in your passcode to open; if you have fingerprint recognition (touch ID) it won't work until you have put in your passcode. As noted, try again.

Don't give up on Apple yet; the melding of iPhone, iPad and Mac software makes moving from one environment to the other much easier than with Android/Windows.

Posts: 18049 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I have had three Samsung Android phones in a row now - the 3, 5, and 7. I also have a Samsung tablet which was the top-of-the-line when I got it two years ago, but which is now a version or two out of date. I have been happy with them.

Ever since my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, and what I found out about how Samsung treats device security, software quality and customer service: I won't have a Samsung "smart" product anywhere near me.

Android is bad enough, Samsung makes it worse.

My Tab 2 would've been gone, long ago, if not for the fact I was able to replace Samsung's buggy Android release with CyanogenMod.

quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
But I know you are a fairly sophisticated computer user - I think you might like Android better.

I like Android better, but, I may have to switch. I no longer trust my Android devices any further than I do the MS-Win install on my wife's desktop Frown Thus I have removed, from both my Android devices, everything I don't regularly use, and all applications of a sensitive nature with which I can do without--such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, PayPal, our retirement plan's app, etc.

It has also not escaped my attention that, near as I've been able to tell, all, or nearly all of my security-oriented I.T. colleagues are using iThings. (This incl. some people that have had some pretty high-speed, low-drag I.T. jobs for some seriously Not Fooling Around employers.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Far from an expert but a long time Apple user here...

I highly doubt it reset your password. Try again later, servers probably extremely busy after the update. Or you used the wrong one.

Don't confuse your iCloud password with your master apple id password, they can be different.

You had to activate 2 factor authentication for it to require the extra "KEY" They explain very plainly when you do, and advise that to make absolutely certain to remember the key.
I don't use that, left it off, I was not worried about needing the extra security.

You can turn off auto update for the future.
Do you have any other apple devices? If so AND you had Keychain activated through iCloud you can see your passwords on the other device, if you have admin access to it.

Basically you are bashing Apple because you turned on extra security and forgot you passwords... Got it Roll Eyes

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Apple has the best customer service… Suggest you just give them a call and they will walk you through step-by-step what you need to do to rectify the situation.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
One more thing-I have figured out the least hassle method of updating an Apple device is to choose the option to let it update overnight while plugged in. This avoids numerous clicks to except and user license agreements and passwords. It still does require that you know your password but it is the simplest method of all the ones they provide.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
One more thing-I have figured out the least hassle method of updating an Apple device is to choose the option to let it update overnight while plugged in. This avoids numerous clicks to except and user license agreements and passwords. It still does require that you know your password but it is the simplest method of all the ones they provide.

That's what I have chosen in the past. This is the first time it actually worked.

I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:

Not that I know of.

How many characters was your iPad password?
How many digits is your iPad asking for in the key?

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Far from an expert but a long time Apple user here...

I highly doubt it reset your password. Try again later, servers probably extremely busy after the update. Or you used the wrong one.

Don't confuse your iCloud password with your master apple id password, they can be different.

You had to activate 2 factor authentication for it to require the extra "KEY" They explain very plainly when you do, and advise that to make absolutely certain to remember the key.
I don't use that, left it off, I was not worried about needing the extra security.

You can turn off auto update for the future.
Do you have any other apple devices? If so AND you had Keychain activated through iCloud you can see your passwords on the other device, if you have admin access to it.

Basically you are bashing Apple because you turned on extra security and forgot you passwords... Got it Roll Eyes

You've got nothing. Butt out. You are leaping over the facts to arrive at unwarranted conclusions.

I don't use iCloud, never have. Never heard of keychain, no idea what that is. I do not recall ever setting verification. I did not ask for my password to be changed, either. It was disabled, some time in the recent past.

I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:

Not that I know of.

How many characters was your iPad password?
How many digits is your iPad asking for in the key?

Only asking is that the first time it happened me, I figured it out when my password was 4 characters & the key asked for was 6.

If that isn't the issue, I second calling Apple Support. I had an issue regarding my iMac's hard drive that I spent hours on the phone with them & even had to take it to the nearest Apple Store for repair.

Their support is top notch.

Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Their support is top notch.

pardon thread drift & different opinion:

2 device problems with Apple support similar to United Air of recent fame

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Had a user that had this happen a few hours ago. It was asking for iTunes password and nothing entered would work. I tried to sign into iTunes Store on my device and could not. It appeared that the store was overloaded due to the upgrade.

Go into settings...iTunes and Apps Stores and click on your Apple ID and a pop up will happen - click on 'View Apple ID' and see if you can view your ID. If you can then you should be good to go. If not, it may be that the Apple store is just overrun.

Either way, reset your device by pressing the sleep button and home button for about 10 seconds - until the apple logo comes up on your screen. Then go into settings like above and try your iTunes password.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have an Apple Store nearby? I'd try the experts there before throwing in the towel.

Where did you buy or download your iBooks? If from Amazon, you should be able to reload them on another device.

I have a Samsung Tab4, 8" from Costco. Best $139 I've spent. The drawback is that Google can be a bit intrusive wanting you to have a google account. Even though I reject or disable everything google they are still probably snooping on everything I download. I use Kindle books instead of Google App Store too.

As far as texting your wife, be aware of whether you are sending an iMessage or regular text messages. The Apple gurus can help with that also. It's beyond what I know to recommend more. I've had problems sending texts from my iPhone to hers because of iMessage.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post