SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Am I being catfished?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Am I being catfished? Login/Join 
posted
Received this text this afternoon.
"Hello, can you tell me who you are? You are in my address book, but I don't remember you. I don't remember where we met."

Not going to answer something this strange.

Just received this text this evening.
"I am Linda. I sent you a photo of me. Do you still remember me?"

Photo is of a very good looking young woman, way younger than me and no I don't recognize her.
Just going to block the phone # its coming from and delete the texts.
Never have had this happen before other than some strange friend requests on facebook(ignored).

Anyone else have this happen?

Posts: 272 | Location: SW,MI | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
Yes it's a scam. Sometimes I mess with them.

Usually it's a "wrong number" text and when you say it's a wrong number, then they apologize profusely, then you say don't worry about it, and then they want to start chatting because of some "fate" about the meeting.

If they ask my name, I often say I am Don Corleone. And that I am in the import business. Sometimes I do favors for people. And so on.

Or sometimes if they send a pic of an attractive woman, I ask for nudes so I can remember better.

I've done a reverse lookup on the photos before and then I find the real person's facebook account and send a link.

In reality these are Indian guys in a scam shop somewhere in India using phone over IP to scam people.

Posts: 4983 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Similar happened to me a month or so ago (but no pic attached). I deleted the message and then blocked the number.

Posts: 1148 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44507 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I'm always up for making new friends. Can you send me her picture and number?

Thanks

j/k

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17574 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McGregor:
You're kidding, right?

Posts: 109259 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Figured it was so. No time or desire to screw with them though I could think of a couple of things to play their game.
Thanks guys.

Posts: 272 | Location: SW,MI | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
With a treble hook.

Posts: 4102 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:

It was totally legit.

Q

Posts: 27695 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Hello, can you tell me who you are? You are in my address book, but I don't remember you. I don't remember where we met?

I get a few of these a day.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4404 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
quote:
"Hello, can you tell me who you are? You are in my address book, but I don't remember you. I don't remember where we met?

I get a few of these a day.

Sooo……your saying you have a really bad memory? Big Grin

Posts: 3161 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Chinese scammer tactics. Respond with this:

quote:
动态网自由门 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Free Tibet 六四天安門事件 The Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 天安門大屠殺 The Tiananmen Square Massacre 反右派鬥爭 The Anti-Rightist Struggle 大躍進政策 The Great Leap Forward 文化大革命 The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution 人權 Human Rights 民運 Democratization 自由 Freedom 獨立 Independence 多黨制 Multi-party system 台灣 臺灣 Taiwan Formosa 中華民國 Republic of China 西藏 土伯特 唐古特 Tibet 達賴喇嘛 Dalai Lama 法輪功 Falun Dafa 新疆維吾爾自治區 The Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region 諾貝爾和平獎 Nobel Peace Prize 劉暁波 Liu Xiaobo 民主 言論 思想 反共 反革命 抗議 運動 騷亂 暴亂 騷擾 擾亂 抗暴 平反 維權 示威游行 李洪志 法輪大法 大法弟子 強制斷種 強制堕胎 民族淨化 人體實驗 肅清 胡耀邦 趙紫陽 魏京生 王丹 還政於民 和平演變 激流中國 北京之春 大紀元時報 九評論共産黨 獨裁 專制 壓制 統一 監視 鎮壓 迫害 侵略 掠奪 破壞 拷問 屠殺 活摘器官 誘拐 買賣人口 遊進 走私 毒品 賣淫 春畫 賭博 六合彩 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Winnie the Pooh 劉曉波动态网自由门

Posts: 17704 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I’m taking a chance here..as I haven’t read the thread but if you’re having to ask then I’d say “yes”.

0:01

Posts: 4290 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes when I'm bored I mess with them. See how long it takes
before they hang up. Quite entertaining.

Posts: 1349 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I get these all the time. Sometimes it is just an emoji or a "What's up?" kind of thing.

It is classic social engineering. People don't want to be rude, or they think they really did forget to add a real person as a contact, so they reply.

I just block and ignore.

Some are actually funny. "Hi, are you still coming over for roast lamb tonight?" I ignored it, but wanted to reply 'I know this is a scam, but is there really roast lamb? Let's talk.'. .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21932 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
Sometimes when I'm bored I mess with them. See how long it takes
before they hang up. Quite entertaining.

Ido the same, if I can get them to cuss me out, then I know I've done my job.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21179 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
On iPhone, swipe left and "Delete and Report Junk".

Or block number as well. Either way, don't respond no matter how much fun you think it is..

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12741 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Nope totally legit, it’s how I met my wife! Sure she lives in China, but we text often and she sends me some fun pics! I just send her some money once in awhile, you know, takin care of my woman. We haven’t actually ever met, but we will someday. Got married online which was fun, too!

Don’t be that guy…

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, was just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2570 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
A lot of these messages are probing to see if a number is active/valid.

Responding in any way is not a good idea. Harmless at best. At worst it will turn up the attention toward you.

Posts: 5234 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
I get a few of these a week. "How are you?" "Do you remember me?" (with photo), "Can we meet" etc etc etc.

JC

Posts: 1307 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post