SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One of the benefits of forest fires is that they provide wonderful appetizers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One of the benefits of forest fires is that they provide wonderful appetizers Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted

Posts: 20119 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
"Ever eat a pine tree? Many parts are edible. The rest are deadly poison."
- Euell Gibbons, 1974 Grape-Nuts commercial Smile
(I added the last part.)

Posts: 4820 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
You're going to have to explain what those things are for someone dumb like me.

Are those mushrooms, parts of fire kill?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19678 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Morels.

They're enough to make a poor man wanna kill his kids.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15485 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the title, I thought I was going to be looking at some overcooked bunnies! Eek

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9162 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
I did not know morels had a symbiotic relationship with forest fires. Please explain. Maybe I need to burn down my woods.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I knew what the post was about when I saw the thread title Smile...there are some benefits to being somewhat "seasoned".

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is awesome! My neighbors got a 5 gallon bucketful and we are gonna cook them up with some elk tomorrow, can't wait since I never had one.

Posts: 634 | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't see the connection between fungi and forest fires. Confused

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Troll
posted Hide Post
I hope there's accurate recognition of mushrooms.

Inaccurate recognition can result in death.

Posts: 261 | Registered: May 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

Well when fighting fires your feet tend to sweat. Not changing socks/boots often enough along with lack of cleaning leads to athletes foot. A FUNGAL INFECTION.

God, Guns, and Guts made this country....let's keep all three

Posts: 495 | Location: TX | Registered: March 09, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Birdvol:
I hope there's accurate recognition of mushrooms.

Inaccurate recognition can result in death.

Morels are not only the most delicious mushroom ever, but they’re also very easy to identify.

https://cabinlife.com/articles...dible-wild-mushrooms

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8978 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:

They seem to show in large numbers 2-3 years after a forest fire. Why, I have no idea. It just is what it is in my mind.

They are very distinctive and easy to identify in the burned out areas. It's a shame they have become so popular because they get picked over rather quickly. 20-30 years ago you could fill a bucket of them in just a few hours time. Not so much now.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:

They seem to show in large numbers 2-3 years after a forest fire. Why, I have no idea. It just is what it is in my mind.

I don't think anyone really has any idea. There's a few theories out there, but the best answer is, they just do.

quote:
They are very distinctive and easy to identify in the burned out areas. It's a shame they have become so popular because they get picked over rather quickly. 20-30 years ago you could fill a bucket of them in just a few hours time. Not so much now.

Yep, easy to identify. There are some false morels around, but the differences are easy to tell.

With our big fires last summer, there are tons of them around. That's good and bad. The good is that I filled a grocery store plastic sack full in about 15 minutes. The bad, is that the commercial pickers are everywhere and you have to go a little further off the beaten path to get into a good patch.

I saw a local fella on the trail on my way in who was coming out. He had two of those big mesh laundry sacks, one over each shoulder, full of them. Said he was only in there for an hour or two.

Posts: 20119 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post