SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does this stripped down PC exist can it be built?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does this stripped down PC exist can it be built? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Looking to build/buy a simple simple simple PC to run Blue Iris IP camera software. Will run no more than six cameras so we aren't talking a super hog of memory. Just looking for a simple standalone box.

Decently fast processor (don't know enough about processors to give a specific one)
Decent video card (out put makes no difference DVI or HDMI)
16gb RAM (upgradable later)
3 USB ports
Wired gigabit Ethernet
1TB hard drive
Windows OS

Will run one program. I need no optical drive, no sound card, no wifi, Bluetooth.

Here are the suggested requirements for HD cams.
Intel core i7 with QuickSync for hardware decoding
8GB or more RAM
Microsoft Windows 8.1 or 10, 64 bit
nVIDIA graphics adaptor for efficient screen display
7200+ RPM drives and/or SSD drive

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25427 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Will follow with interest

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
You can buy everything from Tiger Direct or Newegg and build something like that for probably under $100

Posts: 33816 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
You can buy everything from Tiger Direct or Newegg and build something like that for probably under $100
+$100 for windows 10. Roll Eyes

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6215 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Budget?
A new i7 is $250+ - you mention quicksync, but what version? Only 6th gen+ has H265 Quicksync. If you only need H264 hardware decode, 3rd/4th gen can be had MUCH cheaper.
H170 motherboard for ~50 used or 100 new
RAM got expensive - I just bought 4x4GB for 90 from amazon ~2months ago, ever 2x8GB kit was 130-140
GTX1050s are expensive right now due to bitcoin mining. You're probably looking at 150+
Case/PS = you can probably get by with 60-80 - I just got a coolermaster HAF912 & Corsair 550W PS for 80 after rebate. You probably don't need as big/nice of a case, don't go super cheap on power supply.

You're in the $700 range from my wild-ass guess above. That's skimping, watching prices & trying to catch a deal or cheap auction. You still need HDD/SSD & OS. Gonna be tough to build a new rig for under 1k at those specs.

This site often has win10 pro license for 15$ - I haven't used it, but someone I trust in such things has & passed it on to me
https://www.play-asia.com/

I'd look at refurbs or Ex-business machines, then add gfx, RAM, etc.
ETA:
Dell @ Newegg

Here's a quick check of refurbs at newegg. I doubt you could build a new comparable machine for $1k, but this one's probably 2 years old. Again, check the quicksync needs - I doubt whatever software your using needs H265 yet, but it would be expensive to assume that one. Otherwise, I doubt quicksync will make much difference vs the 1050.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I would think a Dell Optiplex Micro could fit the bill, but I'm not seeing the i7 option or a graphics upgrade available from Dell.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15333 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
You could build that yourself pretty easily and cheaply.

I'd see if you can use the graphics support that Intel builds into the CPUs now, and avoid having to buy a separate video card. That would save a fair chunk of money (in percentage terms.)

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
Budget?
A new i7 is $250+ - you mention quicksync, but what version? Only 6th gen+ has H265 Quicksync. If you only need H264 hardware decode, 3rd/4th gen can be had MUCH cheaper.
RAM got expensive - I just bought 4x4GB for 90 from amazon ~2months ago, ever 2x8GB kit was 130-140
GTX1050s are expensive right now due to bitcoin mining. You're probably looking at 150+
Case/PS = you can probably get by with 60-80 - I just got a coolermaster HAF912 & Corsair 550W PS for 80 after rebate. You probably don't need as big/nice of a case, don't go super cheap on power supply.

You're in the $700 range from my wild-ass guess above. That's skimping, watching prices & trying to catch a deal or cheap auction. You still need HDD/SSD & OS. Gonna be tough to build a new rig for under 1k at those specs.

This site often has win10 pro license for 15$ - I haven't used it, but someone I trust in such things has & passed it on to me

ETA:
Dell @ Newegg

Here's a quick check of refurbs at newegg. I doubt you could build a new comparable machine for $1k, but this one's probably 2 years old. Again, check the quicksync needs - I doubt whatever software your using needs H265 yet, but it would be expensive to assume that one. Otherwise, I doubt quicksync will make much difference vs the 1050.

I have no clue what any of that means. But I am guessing that is overkill.
Here are the minimum recommendations for the software
Minimum requirements:
Pentium dual-core or equivalent 2GHz processor or better
2GB or more system RAM
Microsoft Windows XP SP3 or newer, or a server OS
One or more USB or Network IP cameras, or an analog capture card with DirectShow drivers

I am running the program now with an Athlon A8, 8gb of RAM and it is running 1 camera and I have not even cracked 10% CPU usage according to the meter built into the software.
I have had zero lag or connectivity issues.

Ran across this and think it may fit the bill for $250
2016 HP 6300 Pro Small Form Factor Business Desktop Computer, Intel Core i5 Quad Core Processor up to 3.6GHz, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB HDD, DVDRW, Windows Professional (Certified Refurbished) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J...cp_api_.hR0zb0J280AQ

————————————————

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
You don't need much.

A now 4yo core i3 Intel NUC (tiny little PC) with a mere 8GB RAM runs my entire MediaPC and Media Server setup for my home, streaming HD video and Lossless audio all around with zero issues.

And a 5yo 4GB core i3 laptop I have gets used heavily and worked hard in a Music creation context, with tons of hungry software and hardware, and works just fine.

A gozillion PCs from the last decade will probably do what you need just fine, short of some random and very specific requirement.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
As you may know I build computers, IT networking and Security cameras among a few other things.

First an I7 is not necessary.
I would just build a basic mini-itx box with an I3, a small m2 drive for the OS and add a large-ish regular sata > WD purple 2TB (for video storage) or so and 8gb ram.
I don't know if Blue Iris is supported on Linux or not but since it is only going to be a one trick pony why pay for a full OS?
Or perhaps look at an embedded server ITX board.
I suggest the ITX as it is very small footprint.
I use them in servers and special purpose devices all the time such as Untangle Firewall's, DVR's, backup appliances....etc.
I have used ASRock for many of these as they have several versions.
I build a DVR using an embedded server cpu but it used Windows 7 and it's build in IIS for the software along with Video Insight's VMS software. I prefer server boards with ECC Ram.

http://www.asrockrack.com/general/products.asp#Server

Posts: 22912 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
As you may know I build computers, IT networking and Security cameras among a few other things.

First an I7 is not necessary.
I would just build a basic mini-itx box with an I3, a small m2 drive for the OS and add a large-ish regular sata > WD purple 2TB (for video storage) or so and 8gb ram.
I don't know if Blue Iris is supported on Linux or not but since it is only going to be a one trick pony why pay for a full OS?
Or perhaps look at an embedded server ITX board.
I suggest the ITX as it is very small footprint.
I use them in servers and special purpose devices all the time such as Untangle Firewall's, DVR's, backup appliances....etc.
I have used ASRock for many of these as they have several versions.
I build a DVR using an embedded server cpu but it used Windows 7 and it's build in IIS for the software along with Video Insight's VMS software. I prefer server boards with ECC Ram.

http://www.asrockrack.com/general/products.asp#Server

Blue Iris is windows supported and iOS. I have them figured out for the most part.
I looked into Linux stuff when I first started fooling around with the camera and software but don't have the time or desire to wade in that ocean.

So pretty much that refurbd machine for $250 is going to be my cheapest route and handle my needs just fine.

————————————————

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33816 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
Budget?

ETA:
Dell @ Newegg

I have no clue what any of that means. But I am guessing that is overkill.
Here are the minimum recommendations for the software
Minimum requirements:
Pentium dual-core or equivalent 2GHz processor or better
2GB or more system RAM
Microsoft Windows XP SP3 or newer, or a server OS
One or more USB or Network IP cameras, or an analog capture card with DirectShow drivers

I am running the program now with an Athlon A8, 8gb of RAM and it is running 1 camera and I have not even cracked 10% CPU usage according to the meter built into the software.
I have had zero lag or connectivity issues.

Ran across this and think it may fit the bill for $250
2016 HP 6300 Pro Small Form Factor Business Desktop Computer, Intel Core i5 Quad Core Processor up to 3.6GHz, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB HDD, DVDRW, Windows Professional (Certified Refurbished) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J...cp_api_.hR0zb0J280AQ

If your A8 can handle it, damn near anything intel will be able to handle it UNLESS it is using gfx hardware to encode/decode video (compressing video).
Your min recommendations & original request are MILES apart. I would expect a $300 refurb like the one you posted to be able to handle it. The i5-3570 is no slouch. You could probably add a half-height graphics card to it if needed & if supported by your software.
Storing video straight isn't very taxing for a computer, I assume that's why you're seeing 10% CPU usage.
Trying to encode 4 HD streams on-the-fly will require a lot of horsepower - It doesn't sound like you're doing that now & probably don't need (or want to pay for) that in the future. I recently compressed a bunch of blurays to H265 with similar hardware to your amazon link. It took 6-9 hours each using handbrake. It also reduced the file size by about 75% without being able to tell a difference by my eye/TV. I went from having 4TB of BluRays to ~700GB. I borrowed a couple PCs from work to do it - 3 weeks for 4pcs running 24-7 at 100% CPU usage. I had the cases open & fans blowing in so they wouldn't throttle......

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trying to encode 4 HD streams on-the-fly will require a lot of horsepower - It doesn't sound like you're doing that now & probably don't need (or want to pay for) that in the future.

All the processing is done in the camera not on the computer. However, some VMS's (vid mgt software) do have some server-side utilities such as motion detection which can affect cpu's.
In those cases a hyper-threaded cpu I5 or better can help if you are doing other things besides the video server.
Otherwise the most impact is on total storage space or network bandwidth an not so much on memory or cpu.
YMMV

Posts: 22912 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would just build a basic mini-itx box with an I3

why? Ryzen kicks the I3 in the teeth across the board.

Posts: 8148 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
quote:

I would just build a basic mini-itx box with an I3

why? Ryzen kicks the I3 in the teeth across the board.

I wouldn't use an AMD if you gave it to me.
Been an Intel Product Dealer for over twenty years, plenty satisfied with Intel.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Trying to encode 4 HD streams on-the-fly will require a lot of horsepower - It doesn't sound like you're doing that now & probably don't need (or want to pay for) that in the future.

All the processing is done in the camera not on the computer. However, some VMS's (vid mgt software) do have some server-side utilities such as motion detection which can affect cpu's.
In those cases a hyper-threaded cpu I5 or better can help if you are doing other things besides the video server.
Otherwise the most impact is on total storage space or network bandwidth an not so much on memory or cpu.
YMMV

I saw i7 + nvidia in OP & was thinking h264/265 for web viewing/storage. Hearing A8 @ 10% tells me that's not what's going on, hence the sentence before your quote.
Hope he can find that hyperthreaded i5, I'd like one too Wink
But yes, Intel over AMD any day of the week- Ryzen might make it interesting, but they've just barely caught intel at this point, don't think they can overcome them. Pentium 3 / Athlon K7 was about the last time AMD had the edge, that was almost 20 years ago.

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
No more than a DVD drive costs I'd put one in there just in case.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I am only running 1 camera at the moment but am planning to add 5 more all HD over the next few months.
The specs I have are the specs that Blue Iris lists as minimum and then recommended for multiple HD cameras.
I may just add 8 more gigs of RAM to my current PC and see how it does as I add cameras.

quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
No more than a DVD drive costs I'd put one in there just in case.

I already have an external DVD burner.

————————————————

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I know the OP is using Blue Iris but a list of available VMS from my IP Cam Industry Site:

https://ipvm.com/reports/free-vms-software-directory

Might be of use to some one.