SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amateur (or professional) entomologists - Bug ID please…
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amateur (or professional) entomologists - Bug ID please… Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted
While picking up dog poop on my driveway (bad dog!) I noticed a whole bunch of these TINY red bugs.

Never seen before, seemed most plentiful around the 2 hour old turd. None closer to the house nor seen on the nearby garden brick surrounding a variety of my wife’s plants.

They seemed to move at a pretty good clip, just kind of random wandering, not in a line or with an obvious goal.

Who can tell me what they are? They did not like the Ant/roach spray, seemed to take them out on contact even with a light misting.

Between the size of a large grain of sand/head of a pin. For scale, the white fiber in the pic is probably a bristle from my soft car wash brush, maybe similar or little smaller in thickness than a cat whisker.

Don’t let me down guys…

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10911 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Well looks like I figured it out myself - Duck Duck Go’d “Tiny red bugs” and it looks like they are “Clover Mites”

Common in spring and fall, non-destructive and don’t create problems other than annoying folks who don’t like seeing tiny red bugs.

https://fromseedstoplants.com/tiny-red-bugs

Posts: 10911 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Clover mite.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43800 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rvbgtr
posted Hide Post

Posts: 798 | Location: Treasure Coast, FL | Registered: June 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Western Poop bug.

Northern variant, possibly Oregon/Washington region, driveway sub-variant.

Posts: 21041 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Mrs.BurtonRW asks if it could be a nymph of something? Like some kind of tick?

I’d be looking at baby tick pictures.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16258 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Never mind the tick nymph idea.

Looks like a concrete mite based on some quick googling. Which is also a chigger, not to be confused jigger (flea?)?

Or is it a red spider mite?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16258 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I like how you literally responded to your own post, six minutes after making it, with the answer and everyone is still giving more answers, both right and wrong Big Grin

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
^^^ Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
^^^
^^^ Wink Wink

Actually "Concrete mite" is another name for clover mite.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
I like how you literally responded to your own post, six minutes after making it, with the answer and everyone is still giving more answers, both right and wrong Big Grin

I type slow, cuz my fingers are getting twisted from the "rheumatiz" and I type two characters and have to back space and retype three times.....

The first post was all there was when I replied, and when the page "refreshed" from the post, I was second to the "Boss"'s reply, and I just let it lay there.

But I do read all the posts in a thread before replying. Just in case there is ever a Karma for such a thing as reading before replying, or maybe something one could be banned for, or, just shits and giggles...

And, yes. I really do wish I could type as fast as I did in my younger days. But I got paid then, and not so much now. So, I am just here for the fun as long as it is...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43800 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey

The first post was all there was when I replied, and when the page "refreshed" from the post, I was second to the "Boss"'s reply, and I just let it lay there.

You get a pass, it was within a minute of my post.

Now those posting hours after, them not so much Big Grin

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
LOL

I have actually taken 5 to 10 minutes to type (and correct) the miss steaks, in a 2 sentence post.

Sometimes I delete them, because it looks like I'm not paying attention. And I don't want the OP or folks contributing to think I am not reading what they are posting.

It is simply the realization of "slowing down" and sometimes reading a thread and thinking you comprehend, then find "what you read is not what they said" moments, and you realize how well you have done for a lot of years, in spite of the "limitations", but fighting to stay in front of it all, is more difficult every day.

Getting old is not for the faint of heart, or pussies (but then, I repeat myself.) Fight, with all you have, and never let the bastards win...

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Clover mites are hard to tell from chiggers. That’s why there are more replies. Put them on your arm and if they bite they are chiggers.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12404 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Great karma ... I'm in. Thanks for the chance.

hehe Smile

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
LOL

I have actually taken 5 to 10 minutes to type (and correct) the miss steaks, in a 2 sentence post.

Sometimes I delete them, because it looks like I'm not paying attention. And I don't want the OP or folks contributing to think I am not reading what they are posting.

It is simply the realization of "slowing down" and sometimes reading a thread and thinking you comprehend, then find "what you read is not what they said" moments, and you realize how well you have done for a lot of years, in spite of the "limitations", but fighting to stay in front of it all, is more difficult every day.

Getting old is not for the faint of heart, or pussies (but then, I repeat myself.) Fight, with all you have, and never let the bastards win...

Not to sidetrack the OP's post, but I hear you sigmonkey. Many times I have opened into a brand new post and by the time I have typed my response, backspaced to retype corrections or rephrase a sentence, I find that several memebers have already posted and said what I was going to say. So, I just delete my response and go on my merry way.

If I posted all the responses I intended to post, my count would be in the thousands, maybe millions. Razz

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dino -
quote:

Why would you enter a karma for mites. Personally I would wait for something gun related, or at least a rodent.

Posts: 331 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alyron:
Dino -
quote:

Why would you enter a karma for mites. Personally I would wait for something gun related, or at least a rodent.

I did not think "reading" was a prerequisite for typing : "Great karma, I am in !".

Was just hoping that I "mite" get lucky.

Smile

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post