SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hotel Worker ‘Averted Disaster’ Finding Loaded Rifle And Scope In Guest’s Room Overlooking Ohio Street Beach; Keegan Casteel Faces Weapons Charges
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hotel Worker ‘Averted Disaster’ Finding Loaded Rifle And Scope In Guest’s Room Overlooking Ohio Street Beach; Keegan Casteel Faces Weapons Charges Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Yeah. He probably has some kind of nickname as most cops. Maybe Downtown Brown. You know some name he saw on a T shirt at Goodwill.

Posts: 17250 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
Brown was brought in to be the fall guy. He knew it when he applied for the job. There are moments though that he voices his concerns, as he was once one of us. My guess is that he's not going to last the summer. I don't believe that anyone who doesn't have the total control and is able to set policy without interference from politicians, will ever succeed here. All are setup to fail since no one wants to deal with the real issues. Chicago is losing it's tax base by the thousands and even though new buildings are being built, they'll be empty, as most that were scheduled to move in are breaking their contract. They are incurring heavy penalties, but seem to gladly pay them. Chicago is a shell of what it was and is in it's death throws.

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfan Roy:
I've been traveling throughout the Corona as an airline pilot. Stayed in many motels in many states and Mexico and haven't had a single maid service since the craziness began. Was in a hampton inn over the 4th on vacation and were told no house cleaning until checkout. I'm sure there are exceptions and places where they have resumed daily cleaning, but I haven't seen it. So it does seem a bit curious as to why the maid would have been in the room.

Probably watched him come in to the hotel with a rifle case, marked him and then checked the room

Posts: 23489 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living a strange life
Picture of jonrem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:
quote:
Originally posted by Klusk2:
Lately, many of the downtown hotels have their staff checking rooms for contraband. Most of them have a strict no firearms policy and we've often been called to retrieve or take possession of firearms and sometimes making the occasional arrest. This guy had the rifle out in plain sight, uncased and sitting on a window ledge, not very smart. Make no doubt that this is political as this will cause the media to focus on this instead of the 380 homicides to date and the rapidly increasing amount of carjackings throughout the city.

Multiple arrests are being made downtown of CCL holders as well, charges being approved for felony charges due to the lack of a FOID card. My guess is that a few federal lawsuits have already been filed and we shall see the outcome eventually. Discretion has always been a an option for us in general, but there has been a push to make gun arrests and new police officers are drinking the kool-aid whole-heartedly.

I don't think I have ever been more disgusted of the policy makers, bosses and in general the department as a whole. I am exhausted, 12 hour days, days off cancelled, even when the rest of the department isn't, has taken it's toll. I'm drained and await furlough.

Arrests of CCL holders without a FOID card? Or are these out of state people?

Former Illinoisan here. My contention is that the FOID presents an equal protections clause infringement, aside from being a blatant infringement of the second amendment. Finding the right test case and getting federal courts or the supremes to sack up is another story.

So glad I left.

Posts: 442 | Location: Central TN | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Klusk2:
Brown was brought in to be the fall guy. He knew it when he applied for the job. There are moments though that he voices his concerns, as he was once one of us. My guess is that he's not going to last the summer. I don't believe that anyone who doesn't have the total control and is able to set policy without interference from politicians, will ever succeed here. All are setup to fail since no one wants to deal with the real issues. Chicago is losing it's tax base by the thousands and even though new buildings are being built, they'll be empty, as most that were scheduled to move in are breaking their contract. They are incurring heavy penalties, but seem to gladly pay them. Chicago is a shell of what it was and is in it's death throws.

I gotta give credit to Brown for one thing however. He is the ONLY guy that I recall calling out the States Attorney and the Judges for their catch and release program. Jody Weis did as you probably remember, farmed out all the civil lawsuits to a private firm in order to contest all the bullshit law suits that are filed against coppers.Those guys were great and they had a good track record. I know because I was sued for bullshit. They notified the plaintiffs attorney that we were ready and able to go to court and fight them. In one case, as my attorney's ( the team Jody hired ) attempted to enter the court room, the plaintiffs attorney walked up to him and said that they were dropping the case.

Posts: 5743 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
I gotta give credit to Brown for one thing however. He is the ONLY guy that I recall calling out the States Attorney and the Judges for their catch and release program.

That is telling me he will probably be gone by late August or September, becoming this year's fall guy for the the 2021 "Killing Season".

Posts: 3938 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
quote:
I gotta give credit to Brown for one thing however. He is the ONLY guy that I recall calling out the States Attorney and the Judges for their catch and release program.

That is telling me he will probably be gone by late August or September, becoming this year's fall guy for the the 2021 "Killing Season".

He can't get out of here soon enough!
Assclown Brown is a clueless dolt.

Bad thing is; the next boss is going to be just as bad, if not worse. As long as lightfoot is here, anything connected to this city is going to be SHIT.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8351 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfan Roy:
I've been traveling throughout the Corona as an airline pilot. Stayed in many motels in many states and Mexico and haven't had a single maid service since the craziness began. Was in a hampton inn over the 4th on vacation and were told no house cleaning until checkout. I'm sure there are exceptions and places where they have resumed daily cleaning, but I haven't seen it. So it does seem a bit curious as to why the maid would have been in the room.

I also traveled through Corona and spent almost 200 nights in hotels last year making Platinum with Marriott and Diamond with Hilton. I’ve already spent over 100 nights in a hotel this year.

I don’t think I’ve ever been told that there was no maid service until check out. Though if you are a pilot then I bet I tend to stay longer than you in one place. Last year it was mostly every few days unless I requested more. It’s possible some hotels wouldn’t do any service, I don’t like maids in my room so I declined it when offered and kept my do not disturb sign up. For the past few months every hotel outside of NY and CA that’s I’ve stayed at has offered daily service again. I did just hear Hilton will be going to weekly or something like that. This year all I’ve stayed at are Marriotts.

In any case, maids don’t just come in the room to clean. Many hotels are doing “safety checks” and will enter rooms even if the do not disturb sign is on the door, or if you decline service. Ever since that shooting in Vegas more and more hotels are doing it.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like the case against him is weak-

https://www.newsbreakapp.com/n...Zjwq&lang=en_US&s=i0

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8351 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Looks like the case against him is weak-

I hope he can get out this unscathed, but I won't put anything past the Chi-town machine here...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6219 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
"unscathed?" they hauled him off to jail and he got to stay there for a day or two. If he had not been able to post bond it could have been over a year before he went to trial.... who's that rapper that got shot the other day because he finally got someone to post bond for him after sitting in jail for 400 days?

Probably the guy is an idiot and was just showing off his rifle and using the scope to look at things... too many gun owners do stupid things... he should be charge with "temporary stupidity" and get five lashes with a wet towel and sent home.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
He was charged with aggravated unlawful use of a firearm.

What exactly was the unlawful use?

And who, aside from Chicago PD, was aggravated?

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2841 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
They certainly can’t have people from Iowa Out Walking Around.

Posts: 10971 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post

Headline: "Prosecutors so far offer no proof that Iowa man was planning mass shooting"

Maybe 'cause there is none... Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8919 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
The TV link shows a PTR91 pistol and a USP pistol.

They don't even have a super scary 'sniper' rifle to show a jury.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
How much shit will he be in for the weapons charges in Peoples Republic of Chiraq?

quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:

Headline: "Prosecutors so far offer no proof that Iowa man was planning mass shooting"

Maybe 'cause there is none... Roll Eyes

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

From Mr Casteel’s Lawyer:

“... What they don’t show is any evidence of a potentially sinister plot as envisioned by the police superintendent and mayor.

Casteel told officers he “left [the weapons] in the hotel room when he went to the beach” – and police did find “an empty tactical bag with what appeared to be sand from a beach,” according to the police report...”

So the truth is rearing it’s head.

The best line from the article:
“While the Superintendent and other public officials have made Mr. Casteel a scapegoat in the face of widespread violence and actual shootings in the City of Chicago, he is nothing more than a law-abiding person exercising his Second Amendment Rights. The fact that good people feel the need to arm themselves when traveling to Chicago is the real problem that our public officials need to address.”

posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
LOL. Growing up we used to joke about how naive people were from Iowa. In my youth they were described as easy marks due to their gullibility.

Posts: 17250 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
LOL. Growing up we used to joke about how naive people were from Iowa. In my youth they were described as easy marks due to their gullibility.
If you grow up in a community of honest, God-fearing people with few vices, it's not unlikely that some naivety might result.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WGN Investigates: Sinister plot envisioned after arrest of man with guns in hotel not backed up by records

Well no comment by the Mayor or Police Chief.

CHICAGO — City officials portrayed the arrest of an Iowa man found with multiple guns in a hotel room overlooking the lakefront as a crisis averted, but newly obtained records don’t quite match their rhetoric.

When police arrested Keegan Casteel, of Ankeny, Iowa, Fourth of July weekend during his stay at the W Hotel, they found guns and ammo.

Two days after the arrest, Chicago officials said the hotel employee who alerted authorities as a hero.

“Thank God for that hotel worker who saw something and said something and I believe averted a disaster,” said Mayor Lightfoot.

Casteel was hit with two felony counts of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon and spent a night in the Cook County Jail before bonding out.

Police reports obtained by WGN Investigates show officers found a semi-automatic PTR-91 without a serial number, four additional rifle magazines with unknown amounts of ammunition near a window and a loaded handgun.

What they don’t show is any evidence of a potentially sinister plot as envisioned by the police superintendent and mayor.

Casteel told officers he “left [the weapons] in the hotel room when he went to the beach” – and police did find “an empty tactical bag with what appeared to be sand from a beach,” according to the police report.

Police and hotel employees have been on alert to shooting threats since 2017, when a gunman in Las Vegas used his room as a perch to spray automatic gunfire down on a country music crowd – killing 60 and injuring hundreds more.

In contrast, Casteel’s attorneys say he came to Chicago with plans to propose to his girlfriend on the Ferris Wheel at Navy Pier.

He wound-up doing so minutes after being released from jail.

In a statement, Casteel’s attorney said that his clients purpose for bringing the guns was violent crime in the city.

“While the Superintendent and other public officials have made Mr. Casteel a scapegoat in the face of widespread violence and actual shootings in the City of Chicago, he is nothing more than a law-abiding person exercising his Second Amendment Rights. The fact that good people feel the need to arm themselves when traveling to Chicago is the real problem that our public officials need to address.”

It was still illegal for Casteel to possess loaded weapons in Chicago. WGN Investigates reached out to Mayor Lightfoot and Supt. Brown for comment, but have not heard back at this time.

LINK: https://wgntv.com/news/wgn-inv...acked-up-by-records/