SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hotel Worker ‘Averted Disaster’ Finding Loaded Rifle And Scope In Guest’s Room Overlooking Ohio Street Beach; Keegan Casteel Faces Weapons Charges
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hotel Worker ‘Averted Disaster’ Finding Loaded Rifle And Scope In Guest’s Room Overlooking Ohio Street Beach; Keegan Casteel Faces Weapons Charges Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
This case just keeps getting stranger by the minute:

Guess who’s engaged?

https://www.newsbreakapp.com/n...Zjwq&lang=en_US&s=i0

“After being released on bond following his arrest for bringing a rifle and handgun to his lakefront Chicago hotel room, an Iowa man proposed to his girlfriend outside the 18th District headquarters.
Keegan Casteel, 32, of Ankeny, Iowa, is charged with two felony counts of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, police said. Casteel owns an auto repair shop in Des Moines.

Bla, bla, bla...

Casteel's girlfriend was also in the room, prosecutors said, and law enforcement sources tell the I-Team that their two children were also on the trip.
As part of the conditions of his bond, Casteel will be allowed to return to Iowa if he's released. While prosecutors said Casteel has an Iowa gun permit, Judge Navarro told him "clearly, we are not in Iowa" and noted that the weapons found in the hotel room are in police custody“

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8357 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
There might be some kind of half-assed legal maneuver his lawyer has in mind, but to me, this type of thing is not uncommon. Some people react to a crisis (such as being arrested and charged with felonies) by drawing those around them, closer to themselves.

Who knows? The entire story is kinda screwy. It's not as if he didn't have an opportunity before to propose, since they have two kids together. Maybe he had planned to propose before he was arrested.

To do list:

• Set up sniper's nest

• Pop the question
  •  
    Posts: 107677 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
    Picture of Balzé Halzé
    posted Hide Post
    This whole thing is idiotic, ignorant, antigun pantyhose wearing leftists getting freaked out at the sight of a freaking firearm. Roll Eyes

Jesus...if you're traveling through a commie shithole and staying the night, keep your firearms out of sight when away from your room.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
    NRA Life Member (Patron)
    God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30419 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Can a non Illinois resident obtain a FOID card, or a non resident CCW permit? If not, somewhat of a Catch 22 for anyone that is not an Illinois resident in the state having a gun. If you have a gun in your possession and are from another state you may be guilty of violating Illinois laws that you cannot in any way possibly comply. Not that I have any interest in traveling to Illinois unless I absolutely must.

The “POLICE"
    Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
    Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2892 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Non-residents of Illinois are not permitted to obtain a FOID card, however, there are exemptions if the non-resident is employed in Illinois as a security guard, law enforcement officer or by the US military.
    The law does allow non-residents to apply for an Illinois Concealed Carry Licenses for a fee of $300 if their state's concealed carry license laws are determined by the Illinois State Police as “substantially similar” or stronger than Illinois' requirements.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
    ...The law does allow non-residents to apply for an Illinois Concealed Carry Licenses for a fee of $300 if their state's concealed carry license laws are determined by the Illinois State Police as “substantially similar” or stronger than Illinois' requirements.

I am certain we in Iowa CANNOT obtain an IL non-resident permit. I looked into this several years ago before we went constitutional carry.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Well the statutues state the regulations must be equivalent or greater than those of Illiniois. I suspect that is the issue.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Little ray
    of sunshine
    Picture of jhe888
    posted Hide Post
    Whew. Disaster averted.

The thought crime police have triumphed again.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    The politicians seem certain that some mass murder was avoided somehow. What evidence is there?

Meanwhile 22 were killed over the July 4th - what's the arrest and conviction rate for Chicago?

Never mind......

P229

Posts: 3838 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of erj_pilot
    posted Hide Post
    OK...I'm confustigated by the charge, "...unlawful USE of a weapon" [emphasis mine]. Exactly HOW was Mr. Casteel "USING" the weapon if it was just lying on a window sill and he wasn't even present when the weapon(s) was found?? Color me puzzled......

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Irksome Whirling Dervish
    Picture of Flashlightboy
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by erj_pilot:
    OK...I'm confustigated by the charge, "...unlawful USE of a weapon" [emphasis mine]. Exactly HOW was Mr. Casteel "USING" the weapon if it was just lying on a window sill and he wasn't even present when the weapon(s) was found?? Color me puzzled......

Under their law "use" doesn't mean what we commonly think it does. Possession without the FOID card is considered use.

Just having the gun at one end of your house and you at the other, without the FOID card, is considered to be using it.

It's BS and that's another reason to avoid that place if possible. Can an out of state resident get a FOID card? Yes with a $300 fee and the local Five-0 determination that the guns laws where you're coming from largely mirror theirs.

Posts: 4084 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of erj_pilot
    posted Hide Post
    ^^^^^
    So in other words...

I appreciate the response!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Leatherneck
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by sgalczyn:
    Obviously a setup.... With Covid all hotels have stopped cleaning rooms so the cleaning service finding weapons sounds fishy....

This is not true. Even at the height of covid you could request service, and it was common for there to be service at least once a week even if you didn’t request it, unless you put up a “do not disturb” sign.

Now many hotels have gone back to regular, daily service. I just stayed in a W a few weeks ago and maid service was daily again.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15257 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Blackmore
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

The law does allow non-residents to apply for an Illinois Concealed Carry Licenses for a fee of $300 if their state's concealed carry license laws are determined by the Illinois State Police as “substantially similar” or stronger than Illinois' requirements.

Well, being from New Hampshire,

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3453 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Corgis Rock
    Picture of Icabod
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Russ59:
    Meanwhile 22 were killed over the July 4th - what's the arrest and conviction rate for Chicago?

Currently it is 44.5%

However: “ Not all cases are cleared with an arrest and charges, however. Of the 329 cases, 134 were cleared by a category the department calls “exceptional,” which means police have identified a suspect, but either the suspect is dead or prosecutors said there was not enough evidence to approve charges.”
    https://www.chicagotribune.com...4wlvrx62q-story.html

Which means 40% of the cleared cases do not have a “beyond reasonable doubt”
    finding.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I've been traveling throughout the Corona as an airline pilot. Stayed in many motels in many states and Mexico and haven't had a single maid service since the craziness began. Was in a hampton inn over the 4th on vacation and were told no house cleaning until checkout. I'm sure there are exceptions and places where they have resumed daily cleaning, but I haven't seen it. So it does seem a bit curious as to why the maid would have been in the room.

Posts: 1128 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Sigforum K9 handler
    Picture of jljones
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Icabod:
    Which means 40% of the cleared cases do not have a “beyond reasonable doubt”
    finding.

That is not what exceptionally cleared means. Exceptional clearance means a type of clearance other than cleared. It could be that the case was closed due to declination by the prosecution, transfer to federal court, the victim refuses to cooperate, or the suspect is deceased. My clearance rate has a large percentage of “exceptionally cleared” because the suspect goes federal. Where they get convicted or pled.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37118 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Never miss an opportunity
    to be Batman!
    Picture of jsbcody
    posted Hide Post
    I think the actual clearance rate for murders in Chicago is around 9% to 13% (numbers I have heard from people in the department) and that is for arrests and charges issued. Those numbers make more sense when you compare them to Carjacking numbers on HeyJackass.com .

Posts: 3945 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    The media coverage featuring Lightfoot and Brown the police chief is ridiculous. DISASTER AVERTED ARSENAL OF WEAPONS CONFISCATED. Last year there were 1400 car jackings. Most by kids. Some as young as 13.

Peace through
    superior firepower
    Picture of parabellum
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    ...Lightfoot and Brown the police chief
    It would be so freakin' cool if his name was Thunderbolt.

Posts: 107677 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post