SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Haven't gone to the range in almost 3 months, even worse, haven't shot an AR in over 10 years
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Haven't gone to the range in almost 3 months, even worse, haven't shot an AR in over 10 years Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
How do you like that Primary Arms red dot? Been contemplating one for my stable.

A single short range session with the brand new optic will not be enough to give a comprehensive and fair review. And, keep in mind that I am no expert, when it comes to weapon optics. So, with that out of the way, I'll tell you what I've seen so far.

1- The optic is Made in China. I did not know that, although I should have suspected it, since it's quite inexpensive and comes from Primary Arms. $250 free ship, and with the state sales tax, it came out to $270. Honestly, if I had known it was Chinese made, I wouldn't have bought it. That's just me.

2- It appears to be very solidly made. Just playing around with it, you think of the names like Aimpoint and Trijicon, and not garbage like NcStar or UTG.

3- It comes with the typical paperwork, lens cover, tools and all the necessary hardware for 8 different mounting configurations.

4- The diopter ring at the rear helps you get the reticle into sharpness at the beginning.

5- It has 13 brightness settings and is NV compatible. The illumination is powered by a CR2032 battery. Has the motion sensing on/off system for battery life saving. The reticle is etched onto the prism, so even if your battery is dead, it's still there so the sight can still be used (but obviously not in darkness). So, you really don't need to have BUIS, imo, with this optic. But, that's not the only reason. With this sight, even if you want to use the backup iron sights, they are useless, since the front sight will be out of focus when looking through the prism. So, that's why I took off the MBUS. No reasons for them to be on there.

6- I have astigmatism. Even with my prescription eyeglasses, the central chevron is not completely well defined at illumination. I don't know why I was so stupid to just set it at one illumination setting (8) during the whole session. Should have also tried it at setting zero. I like the additional big horseshoe reticle around the chevron. This whole reticle setup makes for quick & easy target acquisition in "close combat" (less than 25 yds), imo, and, that is my purpose for using this sight. I don't expect to use it for any longer distant shooting, so the ranging system they have on there is of no use to me, but I'm sure it will be useful to others.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
The AR at the indoor range is tolerable, for me at least. It’s when I break out the old Mauser K98 in 8mm that you need to beef up the ear protection.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
6- I have astigmatism. Even with my prescription eyeglasses, the central chevron is not completely well defined at illumination. I don't know why I was so stupid to just set it at one illumination setting (8) during the whole session. Should have also tried it at setting zero. I like the additional big horseshoe reticle around the chevron. This whole reticle setup makes for quick & easy target acquisition in "close combat" (less than 25 yds), imo, and, that is my purpose for using this sight. I don't expect to use it for any longer distant shooting, so the ranging system they have on there is of no use to me, but I'm sure it will be useful to others.

Thank you for your report, this was something I was curious about....it's the reason I no longer use RDS.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Amazon has thick black tactical rubber bands, Big Grin

Tacticool Black Rubber Bands

I didn't renew the range fee this year, maybe will re-up, Ammo prices are the reason, not dropping $50 on 50 rounds of 9mm.

Was in the Apopka store of Shoot Straight, plenty of fire arms, lots of glocks, not much in the High end case, and not as many guns as normal, lots of EBR's

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post