SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Haven't gone to the range in almost 3 months, even worse, haven't shot an AR in over 10 years
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Haven't gone to the range in almost 3 months, even worse, haven't shot an AR in over 10 years Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Too damn lazy to lug the AR around. Even the AR pistol is huge compared to a handgun. But all that was rectified today. Didn't want to drive to the open range, since it's a little further out. So, the nearby indoor range (25 yds max) was adequate for the fun task. This is the first time ever that I shot an AR indoor, so I was expecting bad concussive effect from the 5.56. But it was not bad at all. This is completely different from the case where you stand in the next lane, or even 2 or 3 lanes down, to some guy shooting the AR, where the concussive effect is almost unbearable. No one was around, so no one had to suffer from me shooting the AR. Cool

This is a FrankenAR pistol with the brand new 11.5 bbl BCM upper that's been sitting unfired for over 10 years. The PSA pistol lower was bought 3 years ago. Just ran a couple of patches through the barrel to clean it and gave the BCG a little lube before range time. The old PMAGs ('07, '12, '13) and the original Lancer mag ('08) have been sitting fully loaded with some Euro ammo (PPU) and Lake City stuff for years. All 120 rounds went through without a hiccup. Forgot how much fun it was just to send these 5.56 rounds down range, so I really had a blast. Big Grin

On the way out, I stopped and chat with the counter guys and found out that they're looking to sell the place. Business not going so good, I guess. This would be the 3rd gun shop/range that have closed in the last few years around here. Frown

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I have heard from other people in the farms industry that this is the worst year for retail ever. Mainly as there’s nothing to sell.

Posts: 5736 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
Always enjoy your range reports Q. Glad you got out for some trigger time with that AR!

Posts: 444 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would seem logical that ranges all around the country have suffered due to the ammunition shortage.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I haven't gone shooting since March 2020. Have shot an AR since sometime in 2019.

Ammo is just too damn expensive. Starting next week no more Saturdays at work, so I'll at least shoot a few matches. So much rust to knock off.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ammo is actually fairly plentiful around here and gun inventories are increasing as well .

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Excellent Q!
Thanks for the range report, sounds like fun.
I haven't been out much either, but do still have ammo on hand.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
I have heard from other people in the farms industry that this is the worst year for retail ever. Mainly as there’s nothing to sell.

Interesting. Three of the four LGS' in which I've been over the last couple months had plenty of stock and, at the two at which I asked, said they're doing a brisk business.

One of the four has an associated indoor range. It, likewise, seemed to be doing about average for the middle of the day in the middle of a work week.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Been lax on shooting here too.
No excuse though ~ have lots of guns and lots of ammo. Frown
There is an indoor close to me (Texas Gun Club) that can even shoot 25 or maybe 50yd? for rifle but I have only been there for pistols.
My main stomping ground (American Shooting Center) has nice outdoor rifle to up to 600yds but with the Apocalypses and all I haven't renewed my membership or been out there sadly in a few yesrs.
Still no excuse.
That is going to change and get back in the groove.
Thanks for the review and a push to get going again. Smile

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sweet Chuckie
posted Hide Post
Great fun, Q, and I like your pistol!

Posts: 250 | Location: White Sulphur Springs, MT | Registered: December 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Somebody done stoled your barrel, looks like.

Posts: 107578 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Somebody done stoled your barrel, looks like.

Big Grin

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15316 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I don’t shoot very much anymore. Even though I have lots of ammo I get verklempt spending it. I did go with some retired LE friends three weeks ago. We were shooting at 800+yds and there were four of us so my round count was only 20 for the day. I hadn’t shot that rifle in years.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Nice looking gun (even if there is no visible barrel).

I haven't been shooting for several years. I've still got all my guns and lots of ammo (keep buying more) but just haven't been motivated to go shooting. It would be more fun to do it with a friend, but I don't have any of those nearby.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Nice looking gun (even if there is no visible barrel).

I haven't been shooting for several years. I've still got all my guns and lots of ammo (keep buying more) but just haven't been motivated to go shooting. It would be more fun to do it with a friend, but I don't have any of those nearby.

flashguy

I wish we still had our little shooting group together, but sadly the covid restrictions killed that and now when we try gettogether, it's lack of reasonably priced ammo, and until very recently gun range restrictions even outdoors. Hoping this silliness ends. It's killing the ranges. I fear some will close leaving us with fewer options at I'm sure much higher prices. I wish I had land to shoot on. I'd have my local gun friends over often. I know land is a pretty good investment (as they say, God's not making anymore of it) Still, it takes some work to secure and keep up on even vacant land which is difficult at my age.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I sure looks like someone stole the barrel, doesn't it? Big Grin

This is older pic with slightly different set-up.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
is rubberbands on the optic the hot setup?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
It's the Tango Down bikini cover for the Aimpoint Micro. The rubber bands are there to hold the back cover in place to the side so it doesn't flop around. I know TD designed it so the front and back covers can be snapped together off to the side, but I wanted the front cover to be on and the back one off. Hence, the rubber bands.

Q

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have not been to the range for fun in nearly 2 years now.
I have however gone for work purposes a few times.

I have built 3 ARs, bought 2 air rifles, and a Mauser M2, and have yet to get to shoot any of them.

I don’t foresee getting a chance anytime soon either.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
How do you like that Primary Arms red dot? Been contemplating one for my stable.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post