SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tire Gurus - a question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tire Gurus - a question Login/Join 
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I worked in a tire shop for a couple years and went to school for auto mechanics.
Those 5 psi will make your tires last a bit longer and give you a very slight mpg increase and the payoff is an extremely slight decrease in ride quality and low speed traction.
You won't even come close to hurting anything so no worries. Smile

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
All depends on the load rating of the snow tire vs stock load rating that the doorjamb sticker is based on. As an example - my stock tires are a particular load rating - and the sticker says 37psi all around. The replacement tires I have now are a higher load rating and based on someone's calculation I now run them at 33-34psi.

https://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/...t+Tire+inflation.pdf

Edit - after writing that - I realize I never have snow tires and I don't know what might be different for snow tires. But the above certainly applies to non-snow tires.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2281 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The door sticker PSI ONLY applies to the OEM tires that came on the car. If you replace them with a different brand, type, style of tire, then the door psi is a basic guideline, but you may need to lower and/or increase pressure from what the sticker says.

Posts: 6705 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
If I’m not wrong the door sticker is required to take into consideration the payload capacity of the vehicle. If you travel light drop the rears to 30 and move up from there until you’re happy with the ride and braking response. Different tires may vary so take into consideration the differences in pressures on the sidewalls and factor that in as well.

Posts: 6960 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I always use the chalk test to determine correct tire footprint, with OEM or replacement tires. The chalk test usually results in a slightly higher pressure than the door panel pressure for OEMs. I use my Dymo label maker to make my own label for the door jamb.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10876 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I set them at 40psi all around. Last February before parking the truck for a month I set them at 45psi. They are still all slightly over 40psi.

Harsher ride, shorter stopping distance, increased MPG, less road noise, cheap insurance against pothole blowouts and rim damage.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post