SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tire Gurus - a question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tire Gurus - a question Login/Join 
posted
Had snow tires installed on my Silverado yesterday. Door sticker says 30 psi fronts, 35 psi rears. Checked this morning and both fronts and rears are 35 psi. Not sure if that was intended, or the installer just missed the fronts being 5 psi less than the rears.

Other than a slightly harsher ride, any pros (or cons) to leaving the snow tires on the front 5 psi over Chevy’s recommendation?

Posts: 1221 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prob not a huge issue.

Likely, the manufacturer is thinking lower pressure up front to get a larger contact patch between the tire and the road/ice. That will enable better steerage.

If you're not in cold temps yet... I'd just leave it as you'll get a drop in pressure with temps... ie Boyle's Law.

Just my random thoughts.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 866 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I always run slightly higher anyways.

My door says 33/41 and I'm always at 35/43. With my summers and my winters.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8154 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The door pressures are a blend of ride quality, handling and other factors.
I run mine above the door sticker numbers, sometimes at the maximum load rating numbers shown on the tire sidewall.
Underinflation is a much bigger concern than over. Under causes the tires to flex more each rotation which leads to higher tire temps and much worse wear. Also the vehicle will have a sloppy and less precise feel.
The only time it might be ok for a short time is in extreme snowy or icy conditions at lower speeds to get better traction.

Posts: 9798 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments. I’ll just leave them as-is. I usually put four 70lb bags of sand in the back of the bed for a little more rear traction once we start getting snow on the roads and that tends to smooth out the ride a bit anyway.

Posts: 1221 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The tire installers don't read door panels, they read the tire and pump them up to max PSI.

I always adjust pressure after getting new tires or getting tires rotated.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
The tire installers don't read door panels, they read the tire and pump them up to max PSI.

Yours may do that, but I'm pretty sure that's not what my service guy did. Max tire pressure on the sidewall is 44 psi and THAT would have made for a noticeably harsh ride!

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
The door info is not always the best as vehicle weights can vary and tire characteristics change with wear. The chalk line method is a good way to determine proper pressure but it is a PITA. In the summer I like to run on the high side, and in winter right at the recommended pressure. I don't do much off-roading but the few times I drove on a beach, I aired down to 20 PSI and was amazed at the increased traction.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I usually try to keep my tire pressure within a couple pounds of the door recommendation. Both our vehicles have the tire pressure sensor on the display, and while not completely accurate, it allows me to keep on top of it.

Plus, tire pressures will vary with big temperature changes in the weather, so you should at least check your tire pressure at change of seasons.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It is very likely that the installer(s) didn't read, or fully read, the door sticker, but it won't hurt anything. Frankly, most people don't even know they have a door sticker with tire pressures on it. You are actually an exception. Smile

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
35 is pretty much the default tire pressure at tire stores.

Unless you are towing, monitor the wear and feel. They’re gonna drop as it gets colder.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:

I always adjust pressure after getting new tires or getting tires rotated.

Not in my shop.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
It often depends on the individual employee, how much of a hurry they are in, etc. I always check mine after they have done whatever.

In your case, I would leave the fronts at 35 and pump the rears up to 40.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2160 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I'm kind of surprised tire changers can read. It very easily is the lowest of low skilled jobs. I would think most are considering a break or a smoke, not your tires. I will grant you they aren't all idiots, but its safe to go with that assumption.

Interesting the poster above aired his tires "down" to 20. When I go rock crawling, that's the pressure I go up to when I get back to the road to drive to the camp or motel. In places like Moab, and on some of the more interesting trails a pressure of 6 isn't unheard of. We used to joke about needing a vacuum pump. For mild or moderate trails 12 or 14 are good compromises. You boys haven't lived until you need low pressure. You can usually tell who the experienced drivers are by the bulge in their sidewalls. Yes, everyone has an on board air system of some type. Not to go back up to 30, but to go from the aforementioned 6 up to 14. I know, y'all drive street cars to the shopping center.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
I'm kind of surprised tire changers can read. It very easily is the lowest of low skilled jobs. I would think most are considering a break or a smoke, not your tires. I will grant you they aren't all idiots, but its safe to go with that assumption.

Interesting the poster above aired his tires "down" to 20. When I go rock crawling, that's the pressure I go up to when I get back to the road to drive to the camp or motel. In places like Moab, and on some of the more interesting trails a pressure of 6 isn't unheard of. We used to joke about needing a vacuum pump. For mild or moderate trails 12 or 14 are good compromises. You boys haven't lived until you need low pressure. You can usually tell who the experienced drivers are by the bulge in their sidewalls. Yes, everyone has an on board air system of some type. Not to go back up to 30, but to go from the aforementioned 6 up to 14. I know, y'all drive street cars to the shopping center.

I have a bachelors degree and graduated with honors FWIW. Talk about painting with a broad and condescending brush.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Steed:
It often depends on the individual employee, how much of a hurry they are in, etc. I always check mine after they have done whatever.

In your case, I would leave the fronts at 35 and pump the rears up to 40.

At 35, his rears are probably overinflated.

Door sticker on my truck calls for 65 front, 80 rear. That's great with a load, but way overinflated empty. Empty, front weighs 4,900 and the rear weighs 3,300. Loaded with the 5th wheel hooked up it's 5,100 front and 6,300 back. At 80, the tires are rated for 7,280. There's no good reason to have 80 in them when it's not loaded, so I run 60 in the rears unloaded.

Posts: 11616 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:

before this post I wasn't sure who the coolest poster on sigforum was...

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10571 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
It depends.
Now the explanation:
  • Door stickers are manufacturer's recommendations and are specific to the type tire
  • By type of tire, I refer to pmetric (P) or light truck (LT)
  • Each type of tire has different inflation requirements based on load
  • Many switch from pmetric to LT and then UNDERINFLATE based on the door sticker
  • Underinflated LT tires have LESS load capacity than pmetric tires

As an earlier poster mentioned, underinflation increases tire temps and that is bad.

In my opinion, often times LT tires are sought after for the higher ply counts, but then underinflated which likely makes them weaker than a comparable pmetric tire properly inflated.

Not always about being a "guru," sometimes it's about taking the time to understand differences. Smile

Posts: 3580 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
It depends on the tire, vehicle, load, and conditions. Easiest method is to contact the tire manufacturer for their recommendation. For example, the BFGoodrich website would recommend a tire pressure for an entered vehicle and selected tire. I went to a 10 ply AT on my old truck and there was a large difference.

Posts: 10040 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
before this post I wasn't sure who the coolest poster on sigforum was...

Razz Smile Cool

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24583 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post