SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Guys, I need help with theft
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guys, I need help with theft Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your family having to deal with this violation, and the suffering you dad has over the situation, I'm sure it's upsetting to him since he was a long time collector, sure it all meant a lot, plus anytime someone's home/space is violated it's traumatic.

If you have a list get it out to pawn shops, at least the shops will know then that anything on the list is stolen and has been reported to the cops, maybe that will make them call if they get something or refuse to buy it.

File the insurance, get the money, and get the email/fax for the police detectives, I'm sure they are busy with lots of cases and the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Had some local thieves in my home many years ago in KY, they stole some coins, camera, collectables, for a while I was on high alert just coming into the house, since they ran out the front door when I was coming in the back. That's when I bought my first 1911 and it went from car to my side coming in the house, something I'd never experienced, pissed, concerned, all kinds of emotions, so just back him up and help when you can...

Filed the police report and heard nothing until 6 months later the police recovered most of it from a pawn shop, some things were missing but I did get some of it back.... There's so much of this going on and so few people assigned to handle it, mentally to get on, I just wrote it off early on.

Posts: 23489 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Sorry for your family having to deal with this violation, and the suffering you dad has over the situation, I'm sure it's upsetting to him since he was a long time collector, sure it all meant a lot, plus anytime someone's home/space is violated it's traumatic.

If you have a list get it out to pawn shops, at least the shops will know then that anything on the list is stolen and has been reported to the cops, maybe that will make them call if they get something or refuse to buy it.

File the insurance, get the money, and get the email/fax for the police detectives, I'm sure they are busy with lots of cases and the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Had some local thieves in my home many years ago in KY, they stole some coins, camera, collectables, for a while I was on high alert just coming into the house, since they ran out the front door when I was coming in the back. That's when I bought my first 1911 and it went from car to my side coming in the house, something I'd never experienced, pissed, concerned, all kinds of emotions, so just back him up and help when you can...

Filed the police report and heard nothing until 6 months later the police recovered most of it from a pawn shop, some things were missing but I did get some of it back.... There's so much of this going on and so few people assigned to handle it, mentally to get on, I just wrote it off early on.

Thank you for the input. This is promising information. I’ve called all the local pawnshops. Walked to next-door facilities that have cameras and asked for footage of the night when the alarms went off. Only one person was awful about it. The rest seemed sympathetic, but of course reminded me to file reports (which we already have).
Partly the problem is my dad is out of state and is trying to handle it long distance, and just sits politely waiting for a response. I just got back into town so I’m trying to handle it directly. Luckily the thieves seemed to focus strictly on watches and jewels and left everything else.. which screams an inside job to me because there was a LOT of other small stuff to take.. even cash and they did not do that. I’ll try to keep pressure on.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5328 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post