SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Plumbers: Water Pressure Question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plumbers: Water Pressure Question Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
BTT so I can find this again.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
BTT so I can find this again.
You could bookmark it--either in your browser's bookmarks or in your SIGforum bookmarks (Tools -> Add to My Favorites).

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Many factors to consider:

1. Size of your water service to the house and what pressure is in the public (street) water main.

2. With a 50 foot elevation difference you will lose 21.64 psi. That's just elevation and not friction loss through the 700 feet of service.

3. Where's the meter? In a pit down near the property line or in your house? Regardless, you'll probably lose another 2 psi through the meter and valving.

4. Someone mentioned a pressure regulator. You may or may not have one.

5. Age and composition of the water service may be a factor.

6. Booster pump may be a solution, but adequate water has to be there on the inlet. The pump cannot create water, only a pressure boost. I.e. if you need 6 gpm, that amount at a positive pressure needs to be available at the pump inlet. (NPSH - net positive suction head, or, if the pump is not getting water Not Pumping So Hot). If your water service is too small, has diminished inside dimension (think clogged artery), has a valve partially closed or obstructed, etc. these will contribute to flow and pressure drop.

7. Other factors that contribute to pressure loss are backflow preventers, which you may or may not have on your service.

Have you always had low pressure or is this a recent development? Do you know the water pressure in the house and at the street? Your water purveyor should be able to provide you with flow test results from a nearby fire hydant that would indicate pressures/flows in the street main.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8534 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
chbibc,
Thanks for the detailed reply. My answers are below:

quote:
Originally posted by chbibc:
Many factors to consider:

1. Size of your water service to the house and what pressure is in the public (street) water main. I believe it is 1 1/2" steel pipe. Does that sound right?

2. With a 50 foot elevation difference you will lose 21.64 psi. That's just elevation and not friction loss through the 700 feet of service.

3. Where's the meter? In a pit down near the property line or in your house? Regardless, you'll probably lose another 2 psi through the meter and valving. The Meter is down at the street.

4. Someone mentioned a pressure regulator. You may or may not have one. No Clue

5. Age and composition of the water service may be a factor. Granted. Over 30 years old

6. Booster pump may be a solution, but adequate water has to be there on the inlet. The pump cannot create water, only a pressure boost. I.e. if you need 6 gpm, that amount at a positive pressure needs to be available at the pump inlet. (NPSH - net positive suction head, or, if the pump is not getting water Not Pumping So Hot). If your water service is too small, has diminished inside dimension (think clogged artery), has a valve partially closed or obstructed, etc. these will contribute to flow and pressure drop. Will have to have that checked.

7. Other factors that contribute to pressure loss are backflow preventers, which you may or may not have on your service. I am pretty sure I have a backflow preventer on my hot water heater.

Have you always had low pressure or is this a recent development? Do you know the water pressure in the house and at the street? Your water purveyor should be able to provide you with flow test results from a nearby fire hydant that would indicate pressures/flows in the street main.
. Yes, the water pressure has always been poor.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post