SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Premium Gas-Really?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Premium Gas-Really? Login/Join 
posted
My wife is new car shopping but is turned off by the ones that require premium gas. I have friends, who say they routinely use regular gas in such cars without a problem. What's been your experience?

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Most of them will run on regular, but the higher compression engines of today really benefit from the anti-knock qualities of premium fuel and the additive packages that help keep the parts clean.

Most modern cars have computer controlled systems that will retard the timing if knock is detected (due to lower octane fuel or other causes). This impacts power and mileage.

If the vehicle is turbo-charged, premium is a must.

Your choice.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Depends on the engine. I trust the engineers for the most part.

The VQ in my Altima didn’t like anything under 89 and I definitely saw better performance using 91 or higher (which was recommended).

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:

RMD

Not anymore. 2012 S60 T6 and 2015 Volvo XC60 T5 call for 87 octane, as does my 2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
If it's premium only, heed that warning. They are designed to run with high octane for a reason. Usually high compression. I had a moronic manager at work blow his 535i engine on his leased car from running 87 and beating on it.

They ECU will retard timing if you use 87 but it also gives you worse performance and gas mileage.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Most of them will run on regular, but the higher compression engines of today really benefit from the anti-knock qualities of premium fuel and the additive packages that help keep the parts clean.

Most modern cars have computer controlled systems that will retard the timing if knock is detected (due to lower octane fuel or other causes). This impacts power and mileage.

Your choice.

RMD

The Ford Ecoboost 3.7L in my F150 doesn’t require premium. I assume the other Ecoboost engines are the same in that regard.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have driven 2 Acura V6s that 'require' Premium over 300,000 miles combined using 87 octane.

Never a problem. In fact the MDX pulls incredibly strong.

I suppose it depends on the specific engine / fuel system.

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Around here there is a 50-60 cent price difference between reg and premium. That's the same as legalized theft. Anyone remember the old days of 29.9 regular and 31.9 for premium?

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
Around here there is a 50-60 cent price difference between reg and premium. That's the same as legalized theft. Anyone remember the old days of 29.9 regular and 31.9 for premium?

I was thinking about that the other day.

I recall the 'norm' being about 10 cents difference between the fuel grades. The difference now is crazy.

'Lexus-tax' I suppose...

-----------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
When I acquired a 2000 Acura TL from my brother in '10 with 100k on the odometer, it had been unloved in all respects for at least four years. I gave the car a 100k mile service but the m.p.g. remained lacking.

Bumping to premium, per the owners manual, got me there and then some. Even hitting 10+% of spec on long highway trips.

The fuel cost less than 10% more than 87 octane. Increased performance, increased fuel economy, an engine which purred like a high-end sewing machine, it was worth the extra money.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
We use 89 in my wife's car as a compromise in price and mileage.

Since 87 octane lowers the mileage, you need to know how much lower. Then figure the percentage difference in mileage and see the percentage difference in prices between the grades of fuel.

What you are looking for is the cost per mile, not the price per gallon.

Posts: 9520 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have driven 2 Acura V6s that 'require' Premium over 300,000 miles combined using 87 octane.

Other than the NSX I don't think Acura has ever made a car that "required" premium. Most of them "recommended" premium, with options and impacts as noted above and below.

I think their manuals recommended or even required "Top Tier" gasoline which is an entirely different thing, and a really good idea whether in a Ferrari or Yugo.

Top Tier Gasoline site

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12422 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
You can use lower octane, but mileage and power benefits from higher octane.

Here is a good explanation that gets into the science a bit...

https://youtu.be/hpVHLTRrxCw

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:

Supply and demand. Back then only the highest end/big engine cars took premium, and few of them. My college roommate had a 57 Buick boat that got ~8 mpg but regular was just fine. It was so cheap that my 61 VW would not hold $2 worth.

Lets say you buy 20 gallons a week. That’s 1040 gallons a year, or a difference of $500 or so. Mileage is worse, the engine runs worse and maybe bringing on early engine work.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am reminded of the old joke about pumping Ethel (Ethyl). Gosh, that was a long time ago.

Posts: 403 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I figure cost per mile to run one is comparatively the same across the board nowadays.
My 14mpg truck is a dinosaur .......

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would use 87 if it's not mixed with alcohol. There is no such 89 rating, they mix 93 and 87 at the pump. Years ago, 87 Octane had a good efficiency, but after they mix alcohol to it.

Your vehicle doesn't complain which fuel type you put in the gas tank, until the internal sensors were clouded with soot.

I used to run a mix of aviation 105 and lower rating and got good result.

Good lucks,

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: April 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So if the car is at altitude doesn't the octane needs drop?
Also on our vehicles, mileage appears to be improved, one a 4 cylinder gas, the other a 4 cylinder turbo diesel, using the fuel requirements from lower. Of course with the diesel we are on winter blend which drops mileage.

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
When I bought my Tacoma, the service manager told me not to worry about premium as we live at 4,500’ above sea level. If we went to Vegas or dropped down to sea level, then we were told to run premium. I now run ethanol free gas and get about a 10% increase in mileage which almost covers the price difference. As it’s a much better product, I consider the slight cost increase worth it. I now have over 171,000 trouble free miles on my Tacoma.

Posts: 12468 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I put premium in my mustang. I definitely get better gas mileage with it. I believe the manual says it will run on 87, but that performance will increase with higher octane and I’ve noticed that’s true

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post