SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question #1: Anyone know how to straighten a warped 4X4?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question #1: Anyone know how to straighten a warped 4X4? Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
I'm in the process of frantically trying to finish my deer proof garden fortress and sunk pressure treated 4X4s into concrete. Everything was straight and level until they started to dry out and two of them began to bow.

These are the two in question:

I'd rather not dismantle what I've done, dig them up and put two new ones in if I can help it. If it comes to that, I think I'll just leave them for now and do it at a later date.

Ideas?

Posts: 20563 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
You don't have a board straightener?

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

Smile

I lost it with my board stretcher, dammit. Big Grin

Posts: 20563 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

Smile

I lost it with my board stretcher, dammit. Big Grin

I've got a spare one laying around somewhere, I think it's under my wire stretcher. Maybe in the drawer with my left handed screw drivers?

I seriously doubt there is any solution other than replacing it. I've tried parking a car on a warped piece of wood for a few days, zero effect.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I had some fencing 4x4's do that in the small amount of time before I arrived with finished panels to attach. The direction of the warpage pointed directly away from another 4x4. I took an old motorcycle tie-down and pulled it back toward the other 4x4. I used a second tie down to link the straight 4x4 to a metal pole within about 6 inches, and that kept it straight. I wet it down and let the Texas heat do its thing. left it that way for about a day and attached the fencing. I left the tie downs up there for weeks after just to be certain. It seemed to work and it had no bowing once everything else was in place.
So if there is a suitable something to tie off to...?

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7392 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I was going to say go to the hardware store and buy another one, but that's not gonna work...

Posts: 5202 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Eh?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30896 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
I had some fencing 4x4's do that in the small amount of time before I arrived with finished panels to attach. The direction of the warpage pointed directly away from another 4x4. I took an old motorcycle tie-down and pulled it back toward the other 4x4. I used a second tie down to link the straight 4x4 to a metal pole within about 6 inches, and that kept it straight. I wet it down and let the Texas heat do its thing. left it that way for about a day and attached the fencing. I left the tie downs up there for weeks after just to be certain. It seemed to work and it had no bowing once everything else was in place.
So if there is a suitable something to tie off to...?

Not a bad idea actually. What I was considering is putting in another cross 2X4 half way up and screwing that in using a fence puller to straighten it enough to get the screws in.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
You have a beautiful spot!

Good luck with the warp.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39225 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Thanks. Due to injuries I've done next to nothing with it the past two years so it's a work in progress. Lots to do this year.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
some creative use of chain/cable and some turnbuckles and eyebolts/clamps ought to work

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
^^^^ Thanks. Due to injuries I've done next to nothing with it the past two years so it's a work in progress. Lots to do this year.

Hopefully that ankle is fully healed now.

Is that a river and a mountain in the background? If so I'm super jealous. I noticed all evergreens, no deciduous trees. What's your growing season like? Do you have to grow all "early" varieties? I have a freaking frost warning tonight! Peppers are going to be screwed, 40's kill production, don't want find out what 30's will do.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
you have to use the knot remover before you use the board straightener Roll Eyes

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by side_shot:
you have to use the knot remover before you use the board straightener Roll Eyes

Big Grin

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
If appearance didn't matter, cut the bowed top off and sister in a straight piece on top.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7274 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
If appearance didn't matter, cut the bowed top off and sister in a straight piece on top.

Actually, since the high sides are only six feet (top of the top 2X4), my plan was to put a one foot lattice material across the top and then cut off the remaining anyway. So that's very likely going to take care of the one in the top pick. That particular on is a gate post anyway so I should be able to figure out a way to cover that up.

The other one is going to take a little more brains and muscle though.

And yeah Skins, river down below and mountains all around. Not much for real deciduous trees around these parts (hardwoods anyway) which is one of the other reasons I'm trying to plant a bunch of black locust on my property. I do have a peach tree that produced nearly 100 peaches last year...until the fucking birds got every single one them literally overnight. To say that I was pissed is the understatement of the century. My Granny Smith is starting to blossom out finally this year (six year old tree) and am looking for some of that goodness come fall. I will be netting them both this year though.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
My sympathies, I've got a similar problem with my fence, the wood 4x4's warped and now my 3 walk through gates don't hang right and open-close properly. I should have used metal poles instead of wood 4x4's.

Maybe you could yank it out, put in a metal pole, and frame the pole in 1x4 cedar wood so it looks better.

Posts: 11981 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
You can make a kerf (or several spaced as required) in the outside radius of the bow, then pull the post a little over center inside, then screw a 1x4 on the inside, and or a 1x4 on each side.

It may work for a short while, or a long while.

Or dig it out and start over with that post.

In the end, is it easier to do #1 and hope, or #2, and not worry about down g the #2 down the road when the fence is complete.

I am the number 2 guy, having been the number one guy more times that I like to admit.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44458 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You will regret putting the post in concrete. One of the biggest deterrents to the life of the post is ants. They will eat even pressure treated lumber with no ill effects.

Are you going to use a wire fence or plastic?

Posts: 11889 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Electroshock therapy.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32002 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post