SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need a hatchet
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a hatchet Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted
I probably have not touched a hatchet since I was a kid. I have never owned one as an adult. This will be a light duty tool, since I do live in Florida after all. I need it to split the occasional piece of wood for the outdoor fire pit. And then I can take it when we do our vacation to the cabin in NC / GA in case I need to spilt a piece of wood or two for the fireplace. Is there a particular brand that SigForum prefers?

Posts: 2292 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Estwing. USA made!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Gränsfors Bruk large carving hatchet

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I have the Gränsfors Bruk small forest axe (hatchet) :

https://www.gransforsbruk.com/...rs-small-forest-axe/

I am very pleased with this axe (hatchet).

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I was just looking at Hatchets myself.
Was looking at Fiskars and Estwing.
They are like $60
This is a piece that will be kept in the truck for clearing something on the trail I come across.

quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:

Help me understand what makes these $225?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1559 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few years ago, I was considering a Gränsfors Bruk hatchet. I decided on a Husqvarna hatchet and it serves me well.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I have a Gransfors Bruk Wildlife Hatchet. I don't think you can ask for better quality.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:

I have the same question. I was thinking on the cheap end a hatchet would be $20, something mid level for $40, higher end for $70-$90. Never occurred to me they could go up over $200.

Posts: 2292 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I’m a Council Tool fan.

Posts: 9966 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the Estwing, it has one piece construction and the handle never can come loose.

Don't use it much lately but when I did it held up.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
I like the Estwing, it has one piece construction and the handle never can come loose.

Don't use it much lately but when I did it held up.

Yes, Eastwing does produce good stuff. And at a fairly reasonable price.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Fiskars X7 camping hatchet

https://amzn.to/2Sih5qm

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I have fiskars models for throwing in the truck, wheeler, etc.

On my person, when hiking or when quality and performance matters...I carry a Gransfors Bruk. My hiking model is the small forest axe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

You can save some kronor and get a simpler handled hatchet, but the handle on this is carved for a better grip. The last thing you want is your hatchet flying out of your hand or the head coming off accidentally.
Deuteronomy 19:5

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Estwing. USA made!

Concur. I have a leather handle one my dad bought in the 1960s when we used to camp a lot in the Rockies.

You can’t break the handle on an Estwing.

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
I think the most bang for the buck is the Estwing. I’ve had one a few years and it is great for light duty use.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
After having gone round and round myself on this topic let me suggest that you actually upgrade to a light axe. Most hatchets are too light to do any small log splitting etc.

I have had this Estwing for several years in my camper and use it all the time.

https://www.amazon.com/Estwing...%2Caps%2C188&sr=8-16

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6319 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
You really can't go wrong with the Estwing, especially for how often you will use it. I have many hammers of all types of theirs, and their funky light axe, good stuff. If you're making firewood, a one handed splitting maul would be money well spent as well.

I have a Fiskars hatchet that I bought cheap from a hardware store going out of business. While I haven't beat on it, mostly used it to split and quarter game, it surprised me with the quality.

(I have a Gransfors Bruk mini hatchet, you don't need spend that kind of money for what you're after, unless you will get pleasure from owning it, old world craftsmanship sort of thing)

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I have a Fiscars that is better than anything else I've owned.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39757 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post