SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need a new garbage disposal but which Waste King?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a new garbage disposal but which Waste King? Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted
Somewhere I got exposed to the idea of Waste King being the "king of garbage disposal units." I don't know from where I got that idea, probably some glock forum that tries to hide it's a glock forum.

Anyways, I need to replace the garbage disposal as it's dead. I go to Amazon to order Waste King and, lo and behold, there's several versions.

First, I take it there's no physical difference among horsepower ratings other than the HP and the size, right? That is, a 1 HP can physically be installed where there used to be a 1/2 HP?

Second, there's Legend Series Continuous Feed, L-5000TC Batch Feed, L-1001 1/2 HP, L-3200 3/4 HP, etc.

Is there a Waste King expert here that can decipher and give me quick guidance just like Q can on Sigs, particularly P228s? And, yes, I'd like to get a full 1 HP one.

Thanks in advance.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19662 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post

We went with a quiet 3/4 hp insinkerator about a year ago. Works great - super quiet.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suggest all stainless & low noise. I am very satisfied with this low noise InSinkErator: Also make sure you get the correct electric hookup.
https://www.amazon.com/InSinkE...ct%2Caps%2C86&sr=8-2

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I too went with Waste King when my last went out.
If I remember correctly I went with 1HP due to the listed warranties. It or the one I got had a full warrantee. Where the lower hp had limited.

While the WK has been flawless the mounting flange setup was a pain in the ass compared to all others I had installed which catch the disposal then you twist the flange to tighten.

The WK use a different setup and was a real pain to hold in place and tighten. Had to basically build up a platform to support the WK while I installed the flange.

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Second, there's Legend Series Continuous Feed, L-5000TC Batch Feed, L-1001 1/2 HP, L-3200 3/4 HP, etc.

Imagine the continuous feed line is for those who are carving up Yaks on a regular basis, vs normal people who maybe dispose of a Yak once in a lifetime.....

Outside of that, went Insinkerator, quiet or low noise series is what we went with when doing the remod...

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I installed the Waste King 9980 (i.e. 1 hp) in Alaska when the builder's POS low powered InSinkAerator Badger died. 3 bolt flange style gets better reviews than the so-called EZ Mount.

Right now, I have a Waste King 9980 sitting on the shelf for when the builder's POS low powered InSinkAerator Badger dies.

What I like about Waste King 1 hp is they are essentially the same price as the POS 1/2 hp InSinkAerator Badger, but:
  • more power. Baby Yaks beware.
  • quieter
  • stainless grind components
  • 20-year warranty

I will warn that there is a Sigforumite who thread shits in every Waste Kang thread. He never seems to grasp that he's comparing a $107 to $130 (I paid $107 in '19) Waste Kang to a $300ish dollar InSinkAerator Evolution.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of myrottiety
    posted Hide Post
    Beware Baby Yaks!! Waste King!!!

One I put in is either 3/4hp or 1hp. I can't remember. But pretty sure I could flip it on and direct feed it a broom handle with no issues.

Installed maybe 5 years ago +/-.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8851 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ammoholic
    Picture of Skins2881
    posted Hide Post
    I just installed this Badger 1hp Power Series yesterday, it's quite and I assume works well (haven't tried anything but water in it). I looked at waste king, I forgot now why I went with this one. I think it was the stainless steel internals and online reviews.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Yew got a spider
    on yo head
    Picture of DoctorSolo
    posted Hide Post
    Get yourself an Insinkerator 3/4 HP Badger 900.

It's like the Sig P226 of spoon-chewers!

Posts: 5137 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    We have InSinkErator. I did not have a choice. My wife's father worked in marketing for the company that made them.

The unit that we have is probably thirty years old, maybe more. We have been in this house since it was built in 1986, and it is still chugging along, although we don't have too many yaks in the neighborhood, so it has not had the ultimate test.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Peace through
    superior firepower
    Picture of parabellum
    posted Hide Post
    Waste Kang!!

The model I purchsed in 2012 is the 1 horsepower Model 9980, probably been superceded by something else after so long.

I'm happy to report that this disposal has been trouble free for more than a decade and it's still going strong.

Posts: 107582 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Spread the Disease
    Picture of flesheatingvirus
    posted Hide Post
    I got the L-8000 1HP KANG! model. I accidentally dropped a steel fork in there without realizing it and turned it on.

No visible damage. I think I heard it chuckle after.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Peace through
    superior firepower
    Picture of parabellum
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
    No visible damage.
    That's one damn tough fork.

Posts: 107582 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Team Apathy
    posted Hide Post
    WASTE KANG!

Very happy with my continuous feed, 1HP L-8000 Legend series. I remember it being a PITA to put in, due to the heft and the odd mounting ring style, and due to my apparent inability to use plumbers putty. I had leak troubles due to my own lack of ability.

When I removed it to try again I managed to damage the mounting ring and made it unusable.

I called the company and confessed that I broke the mounting ring and asked to order a new one. The lady chuckled and said it sounded like a warranty issue and sent me a new unit. Meanwhile I re-arranged the plumbing under the sink to not use a disposal.

The new unit went on a shelf for about a year until I got around to finding a local plumber who took my $60 to install it.

I say again, WASTE KANG!

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of P250UA5
    posted Hide Post
    I put in a 3/4 horse at our old house when the builder unit started puking water into the cabinet below.

IIRC the difference between continuous & batch was switched vs activated by a drain plug.
    I believe continuous was what most residential units would be.

We did ez mount since that's what was already there, and the 3 bolt was unavailable at the time.

The Kang was quieter than the 1/3hp Badger that died.

Would not hesitate to put in another if/when we need one in this house.

Looked at my order history, it was a 1/2hp that I put in
    Legend Series L-2600
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d..._od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The 1hp L-8000 is only about $20 more, if you need whole yak capacity.
    https://www.amazon.com/Waste-K...st_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15317 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Oregon
    posted Hide Post
    Don't get the batch feed. We erroneously ordered on of these for work and you have to stick a cover over the drain and literally grind the stuff in batches instead of turning it on when you need it.

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
    -Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6086 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Partial dichotomy
    posted Hide Post
    I'm getting new counter tops and sink and the thought of replacing the (old) disposal didn't even occur to me....until now.

Watching!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
    Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    ^^^ Another option is to do what I've done. I have a Waste Kang sitting on the shelf for when the existing builder's grade one inevitably fails. I caught it on a good sale for $107. Theoretically, I can have my sink back in 30 minutes after failure or even better swap it out if the existing one starts making noises like failure is imminent.

That's a stark contrast to when my builder's grade one failed in Alaska. It was winter, and I was having 20ish people over for an indoor fish fry. I had thawed out a bunch of halibut to batter and fry in peanut oil. The GD disposal broke after I had started pouring the juice out of the vacuum sealed halibut packs. When I wasn't looking guests would throw more junk into the broken disposal. I fished the junk out as best I could after guest left and put a plug into it while I waited for the Waste Kang to arrive. It was pretty gross taking off the old one, and left a sufficient impression on me to:
  • having a Waste Kang waiting in the wings right now.
  • participating in nearly every Waste Kang thread since then

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Anush:
    I suggest all stainless & low noise. I am very satisfied with this low noise InSinkErator: Also make sure you get the correct electric hookup.
    https://www.amazon.com/InSinkE...ct%2Caps%2C86&sr=8-2

That’s the one I got to replace my old Badger when it quit after some 20+ years. Thought about Waste King but realized that replacing the Badger with another Insinkerator meant no changes to the flange and I just connected the new Evolution to the existing flange. Very simple swap.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of konata88
    posted Hide Post
    Probably better methods but if it helps, I’ve found it useful to use my car scissor jack to hold up the unit while I attach it to the sink.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
    "A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post