SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Water Heater Woes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Water Heater Woes Login/Join 
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted
Two days ago I blew the lower element in my electric water heater. This happens every two to three years or so as I have a very high iron and silt content to my well water. I have a 10 micron filter in line after the well tank, and before any appliance, so I'm wondering what made it blow this way? By this way I mean the element itself usually breaks, but stays water tight. This time the element shorted out due to seepage from the tank. The following photos show the damage. My question is, is there anything I can do about this issue? Thanks for any info.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BDA220
posted Hide Post
Is the anode rod depleted?
My softened well water will completely deplete the anode rod in under 2 years.

"Strange days have found us, strange days have tracked us down." JM

Posts: 807 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 10 micron filter should catch most of the items. I would replace the water heater judging by the picture. Then replace the anode annually and drain every month or two. Are you sure that it's wired correctly?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I have hard water and had a dedicated 220v line run two years ago. I have never gotten more than 8 years out of a water heater, and they usually go by cracking the tank. I replaced the heater today, but I'm completely out of ideas as to whaf's causing these issues.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It could be electrolysis. Check and make sure there is no electricity on your water pipes. A lot of older homes grounded to water pipes and such and it's possibly something is leaking electricity into your water supply and the electrolysis will cause galvanic corrosion and eat the metal.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Research “low watt density” or “sand hog element” we had some sucess with them in difficult locations back in the day.

The sand hog units are tough critters... capable of operating buried under deposits or or even in free air / not submerged. Under sediment they are less efficient however.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
A 6 year warranted water heater is engineered for 6 years and 3 months of life. 87% of the water heater market is replacement heaters.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1089 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Mine did that, the top of the tank cracked.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34147 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Water has been seeping around that element for some time,sure you have other things going on with the heater but what I see is a leak on your wires.

Posts: 22411 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BDA220:
Is the anode rod depleted?
My softened well water will completely deplete the anode rod in under 2 years.

That's a good question. I'll check the old unit and see.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
It could be electrolysis. Check and make sure there is no electricity on your water pipes. A lot of older homes grounded to water pipes and such and it's possibly something is leaking electricity into your water supply and the electrolysis will cause galvanic corrosion and eat the metal.

My well plumbing is PVC so the house can't be grounded to the plumbing. I don't start with the copper until after the pressure switch.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Buy a Rheem Marathon water heater.

The last water heater I bought has a 316 stainless steel tank, but I haven't had it long enough to say if it will last.

Do you flush the tank every year?

Posts: 11031 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post