SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trusted Camping/sports equipment store near Alexandria/Fredericksburg, VA?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trusted Camping/sports equipment store near Alexandria/Fredericksburg, VA? Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
If I need to send someone to get some backup cooking/camping gear and recommended supplies with the hurricane coming to NC/VA where is there to send? Obviously, not Dick's if at all possible.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5648 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
REI there are a few in VA. There is one in Woodbridge and a few others in NOVA. Their gear will good but not on the inexpensive end of things. Just missed their big Labor Day sale.

What are you looking for and I might have some other suggestion?

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16413 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Think materials for a young couple and their dog to shelter in place in a no utilities situation for up to a week near Old Town Alexandria.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5648 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Based on my adventure over the past 2 hours (near Charlotte) - it's already too late.

Posts: 4015 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Think materials for a young couple and their dog to shelter in place in a no utilities situation for up to a week near Old Town Alexandria.

Might be better off just getting an hotel room. If they can't afford that. I've got an air mattress, but the dog must stay in the basement.

Alexandria sucks for flooding, but it's easy enough to seek higher ground here and a lot cheaper than buying a bunch of goods for something that may or may not happen.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20844 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
very good points. They are already committed to sheltering in place, and the dog wouldn't do well in another environment. Hotels have already proven to be bad under normal circumstances.

I'd like them to at least learn some forward thinking and preparedness, much less try to help their odds of getting through ok.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Walmart.

For a young couple sheltering in place, they'll get everything they need there.

Flashlight and batteries.

Coleman stove.

Water filter and some purification tablets.

Canned food. Bottled water.

I really don't think they need camping gear--I imagine trying to sleep in a tent in a storm bad enough to to knock out utilities is a bad idea.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
Check out Gander Mountain on Route 3 in Spotsylvania (just south of Fredericksburg)l

Posts: 1723 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Yes. Minimally, canned food (that doesn’t necessarily have to be heated up/cooked),a non-electric can opener, bottled water. Things they should have in their pantry already.

I am always amazed to see that my nephews/nieces and young tenants have absolutely NOTHING to eat in their kitchen cabinets and refrigerators. I guess they eat out every meal. Hell, at least keep several cans of fruit, Vienna sausage, and pork and beans around, for emergencies.

Posts: 26947 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Old Town loves to flood but usually, just damages first-floor stuff, not life threating.

Walmart likely has what they need at better prices than other stores.

I'm north in MD and not too worried here. Although I have enough gear to survive a few days without power.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
very good points. They are already committed to sheltering in place, and the dog wouldn't do well in another environment. Hotels have already proven to be bad under normal circumstances.

I'd like them to at least learn some forward thinking and preparedness, much less try to help their odds of getting through ok.

If they are dead set on staying. I'd highly recommend a small inverter generator (Honda) to keep refrigerator, microwave, toaster oven, and communications going. Plus enough gas storage to run generator for 60% of the time of entire outages/flooding.

If you have refrigeration and electricity (even if limited) then you have a bunch more flexibility in any situation.

To that I would add charcoal grill and/or Coleman stove.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20844 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
One thing I learned from my grandmother who lived in FL and survived many storms.

Take some two-liter plastic soda bottles. Drink the soda, rinse them out, fill with water and put in the freezer a few days ahead of a storm. A few frozen two-liter bottles will help keep stuff cold for a few days. Freeze enough and put some in the refrigerator section.

If they don't lose power just pull them out and let the ice melt.

Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I agree with all that was posted. Maybe someone else reads this and benefits.

Thanks for the store locations advice.

posted Hide Post
As always you can learn a lot by reading these forum topics.

I am glad I read it because I totally forgot about using water bottles as ice packs.

I always forget the little things such as that.

Flashlights, candles, water, food for the animals, propane for the grill.. all checked off.

But the little things like that I somehow always forget.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Also look at water treatment, a gallon of bleach and some cheese cloth can last quite some time.

Agreed Walmart kit it quite ok, especially for light usage

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post