SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you eat Chinese food out of the box with chopsticks?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you eat Chinese food out of the box with chopsticks? Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I eat it out of the box (or plastic tray thing) that it comes in...but I use a fork. My goal when eating is to feed my face with as little drama as possible, and a fork is a far more efficient tool for doing that.

Posts: 8654 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My takeout Chinese food doesn't come in a box (other than the rice). It's in a foam container with an attached lid. I dish half of it onto a plate, mix in some of the rice, and eat it with a fork. The rest goes into the fridge for a repeat process later (heated in the microwave).

I have eaten with chopsticks at a sit-down restaurant if the dish is one I can handle (Almond Chicken, for example). Otherwise I use a fork.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I don't get using chopsticks, either. Forks and spoons are so much easier.
Things have evolved; I wouldn't put wood wheels on my modern car, either.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16536 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I lived near a superb sit-down Chinese restaurant (I guess that term is racist now, but, whatever)

I loved the place, ate there at least once a week, either at the restaurant or via delivery.

These days, though, I've stopped even trying to find a good place, and all the strip mall takeout places are, quite frankly, wretched, and that's being kind about it.

If you haven't seen this, you're missing out. The movie as a whole is fine, but this opening scene is great.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107722 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Only genuine bamboo, poplar or sweetgum chopsticks will do.

Metal utensils drain all the flavor from Chinese food by electrolysis.
Plastic utensils contaminate comestibles with PCB's and you get gynecomastia.

Did you know that Georgia exported millions of domestically made chopsticks to China?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...-shortage-grows.html

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

I call it food, not Chinese food
Big Grin

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30727 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
yes

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
My mother was born in China, lived there until she was 15, and learned to cook from her family servants, so we ate Chinese food quite often as I was growing up, and I was encouraged to use chopsticks from an early age. I do not find them any more limiting than forks and spoons in how fast I can load my gullet. When my wife and I order takeout, we eat it from my family's legacy Chinese plates and bowls, and yes, with chopsticks (we have several pairs made of ivory, I guess I'm going to Hell). I will not claim I have never eaten from the delivery container, but I don't think I've ever made a full meal of it.

But not so much these days, at least three of our long-time favorite carry-out places have gone out of business in the last year leaving only one with decent recipes. This place is only so-so, and has high prices, and slow service to boot so we are ordering Chinese delivery a lot less often than we used to.

Posts: 6509 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
No once you've figured out how to eat with chopsticks, you check that box off and use a fork like a normal person.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20841 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I eat Chinese or Korean take-out food in the containers the restaurant supplies, with a pair of Korean stainless steel chopsticks.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
No once you've figured out how to eat with chopsticks, you check that box off and use a fork like a normal person.

Nuh-uh!

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well heck. I DO eat right out of the containers sometimes, normally just for left overs. And I use chopsticks most of the time.
But we rarely eat out as I can cook better foods than most of the restaurants. In fact, tonight I'm making Brocolli with Beef!

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

If you haven't seen this, you're missing out. The movie as a whole is fine, but this opening scene is great.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1-2QBYKI8LU" title="YouTube video player" width="1280"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

That is one hell of a meal he made.

Posts: 1183 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
I don't get the whole eating with chopsticks thing . I have nothing to prove and don't tell me it's more efficient than a fork because that's bullshit . Big Grin

I find chopsticks more efficient for noodles. Not so much for rice. Wink

Posts: 6924 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BadDogPSD:
Well heck. I DO eat right out of the containers sometimes, normally just for left overs. And I use chopsticks most of the time.
But we rarely eat out as I can cook better foods than most of the restaurants. In fact, tonight I'm making Brocolli with Beef!
Isn't broccoli originally from China?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:

It actually originated in Italy. It was brought to America in the 19th century by an Italian immigrant named Broccoli (whose nephew, incidentally, went on to co-produce the James Bond films.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16387 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
BadDogPSD is a actually subtley boasting about his sex life.

quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by BadDogPSD:

flashguy

My taiwanese wife and I use plates or bowls, and stainless steel chopsticks for thai/chinese/vietnamese takeout. And I opine tbat being truly cultured requires presenting those nifty chopstick rests. Plain ceramic will do but some decorative motif is spiffy.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5967 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I would think a whole lot of Chinese in China will not recognize western broccoli if they saw it.

Posts: 7424 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
I only eat Chinese food that's Made In America.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member of FPC, GOA, 2AF & Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2845 | Location: Tucson Sector | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 28005 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post