SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Drugs Advertised on TV Aren't Better Than Existing Options: Study
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drugs Advertised on TV Aren't Better Than Existing Options: Study Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Ozempic and the like are flying off the shelves. Used off label for weight loss, celebrities can afford 1500 per month.
If you are dirt poor you can get some of these drugs for free from Big Pharma. Doctors who still see detailers get lots of samples.

Hope this answers your question.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I figure if I need to ask my doctor if “Drug X is right for me” I must need a new doctor.

Posts: 401 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep. I absolutely hate that tagline.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
The placebo effect can be just about as strong as any real benefit. Like with anything, some things work for some but not for the next, whether real or imagined.

The drug companies will never be satisfied until all of us are on an assortment of prescription meds. There seems to be a drug for everyone & everything. When they run short they dream up new ailments.

In some ways that clip from Josey Wales still applies. Yep, not surprise if Phizer is twisted up with Covid vax promotions.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
When Nexium first came out years ago, they ran an ad, the first I had seen, and of course, it ended with "ask your Doctor if it's right for you."

I asked Mrs. Flash if I had missed the part about what the pill did. She said she had missed it too. So we waited for the next time it ran and paid total attention to the ad. It never said what the pill did.

It seems to me that only a hypochondriac would ask their doctor if it's right for them based on nothing but an ad that doesn't even tell you what it's for.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was prescribed an expensive diabetes drug, which I took for several years. On changing doctors, we discussed the drug and she recommended, since I was on other drugs as well, stopping the drug and monitoring my blood glucose for a while. It turns out the 480 dollar a month drug (insurance paid another 1500) was of NO BENEFIT. I'm now much more inquisitive about drugs I am offered.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good example would be comparing Warfarin to Eliquis and Xarelto. Warfarin requires frequent blood work, while the others do not. Warfarin is pennies per month, the other two are hundreds of dollars. Eliquis and Xarelto may be have some other benifits. Take your pick.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MelissaDallas:
I figure if I need to ask my doctor if “Drug X is right for me” I must need a new doctor.
Every time I hear that tag line I say "Yeah, I'll get right on that first thing tomorrow."

Modern versions of snake oil salesmen, IMO.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I think I'll got to my next physical with a 5 page notebook. I'll open it and say to my doctor, "Hope you have time. I need to find out if these drugs are right for me."

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12423 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Oh, I forgot to add all the side effects of the drug that they mention in passing. Which often seems worse than your affliction!

My "favorite" is "Jardiance" with the flesh-eating bacterial infection in your "taint." I'll take my chances with the kidney disease. Another annoyance is the ridiculous contrived names.

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post