SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best Travel Pants?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Travel Pants? Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
Unlike my recent past excursions, I'm headed off to one of Europe's grand capitals in a few weeks. When I'm out "roughing it," I like jeans and The North Face convertible pants. They travel well and are good for hiking, climbing, bending and exploring. But there will likely be times when I'll need to dress up a bit on this trip. I'm planning to wear a navy blazer, and am looking for a pair of pants that will look dressy enough with it, but will also allow me to walk city streets, and to bend and otherwise get "awkward" when taking photos.

The temperature range at this time of year is lows in the 40s and highs in the 60s.

I'm looking at the Columbia Men's Ultimate Roc Pant, the UnionBay Rainier Travel UPF 50+ Tech Pant, and the [URL=https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/10307889/men's-horizon-guide-chino-pants]Eddie Bauer Horizon Guide Chino Pants[/URL].

What are your recommendations? Again, the requirements are that they must look good with a blazer, but also be a good travel pant.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with LL Bean lightweight Chinos. Kuhl makes pretty good stuff too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16110 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Clothing Arts P4 pants.

Linky

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m3zona
posted Hide Post
Bluffworks Ascender Chinos. Best travel pants I’ve ever used. They come with zippered pockets in the front to hold your cash and passport. Bluffworks

Posts: 62 | Location: Out West | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Prana Stretch

These are my current go-to for outdoor stuff unless it's going to be ungodly hot.

Took two pair of these to Alaska a few months back. Used them hiking on a glacier and then for a nice dinner. The ones I listed have one flat cargo pocket. If you are wearing a blazer you may want to check out some of their other pants but with a polo shirt, they work fine for me when I need to be clean up a little.

Edited to add: I only buy these when there is some kind of sale. I will not pay full price. REI has them on sale a few times a year.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: comet24,

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16406 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m3zona:
Bluffworks Ascender Chinos. Best travel pants I’ve ever used. They come with zippered pockets in the front to hold your cash and passport. Bluffworks

+++1

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
TheseAreNotMy™

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43912 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m3zona:

I just got a pair and I'm pretty pleased.
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Prana Stretch

These are my current go-to for outdoor stuff unless it's going to be ungodly hot.

Took two pair of these to Alaska a few months back. Used them hiking on a glacier and then for a nice dinner. The ones I listed have one flat cargo pocket. If you are wearing a blazer you may want to check out some of their other pants but with a polo shirt, they work fine for me when I need to be clean up a little.

Really popular, great lightweight soft-shell type all-weather pant.

My favorite travel pants are Exofficio's Dylan Jean, I've bring at lease one for the last handful of int'l trips. Apparently they're discontinuing them and introducing a replacement, until then, I'll buy another to go with the other two I currently have. They're dark denim with three hidden pockets without looking goofy with ridiculous pocketing, look good, wear well with just a shirt or, wearing with a sport jacket.

Posts: 14672 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I just wear Wranglers black relaxed-fit jeans.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
If you’re wanting something a little nicer that will take a beating, is pretty much stain and wrinkle proof, and extremely comfortable, I highly recommend Haggar’s Cool 18 Pro khakis.

I practically live in them M-F and they’re perfectly good looking worn with everything from a t-shirt to a button down and blazer. Slightly stretchy material, hidden expandable waist, very breathable polyester, and they’re affordable (and often on sale).

Buy now, thank me later.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm cheap. But I've been pleased with the Vertx Phantom LT pants - lightweight, comfortable, water repellent ripstop.

I like the pocket in pocket for the cargo pockets and the hidden zipper pocket on the right side.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12747 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The IZOD saltwater series they sell at Costco. They don't wrinkle, no matter how you pack them and they're comfortable and best of all cheap.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
Take a look at Clothing Arts P4 pants.

Linky

Another vote for them.
Last summer we flew to Europe for a Baltic cruise. These have exterior pockets that zipper and button close with interior pockets that closed with Velcro. Those pockets got my passport and cash.
In St. Petersburg, I suddenly got a hard bump and felt a pull. Pretty sure it was a frustrated pickpocket.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at these:

https://www.llbean.com/llb/sho...&searchTerm=allagash

On the right front is a zippered pocket if you prefer more security.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Kind of ironic, I was just looking at pants for a trip to Europe. I’ve got a jacket from Kühl and my neighbor has pants and shirts both from them; probably get at least one pair. I have black Wranglers as someone else suggested. I also depend on a blue blazer and khakis for dressier occasions. Mine are both from Orvis and I recommend them highly.

Posts: 13293 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
5.11 Apex Pants. Extremely comfortable.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. Keep 'em coming.

NO JEANS. NO CARGO PANTS/POCKETS. I have jeans. I'm looking for something that looks dressy but can stand the rigors of travel. The Bluffworks Ascender Chinos look nice, but I read they are "shiny" and "noisy." I'd prefer something a little more cotton-y.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I'm cheap. But I've been pleased with the Vertx Phantom LT pants - lightweight, comfortable, water repellent ripstop.

I like the pocket in pocket for the cargo pockets and the hidden zipper pocket on the right side.

I concur. Vertx has some good stuff. The fit is dead on for me. REI has them, or available online.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'll probably catch some flak for this, but for my last seventeen years or so of employment I wore Dockers almost exclusively. They're "dress/casual," relaxed fit, relatively robust, and some versions have a handy zippered "mobile" pocket on the right leg.

I'll be traveling soon. I'll be wearing jeans. But I'll have a pair of Dockers and a dress shirt in my suitcase--in case they're needed.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Adidas has a sale on golf pants - some heavier weight - on their website now. I love golf pants because they are so comfortable.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post