SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thoughts on Marathon Watches?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on Marathon Watches? Login/Join 
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a GSAR for several years and love it. It’s a solid robust tool watch with a very readable dial. It’s not the most accurate mechanical watch I own (that would be my Speedmaster) but it’s within 7 seconds a day.

The warning about changing the date is universal for any mechanical watch. During that period the gears that change the date have started to engage. Until they have completed their work and changed the date completely and disengaged it is entirely possible to damage them by forcing them to move against each other. I know this for a fact. I had to send a Hamilton in for repair over it

Posts: 2594 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
I was going to buy a Marathon GSAR last year before the prices were supposed to go up. I had a chance to get one for $949.00 on Ebay from Windy City Watch Collector ebay user name is chronometers. He has a really good reputation and is an AD if I remember correctly. The watch was over $1000 and I put it in my cart and he sent an offer for $949. I had my eyes on a Sinn U2 and their prices were going up to so I went for the Sinn instead. Still going to get me a GSAR one day and a Doxa and a......

Posts: 3580 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to thank everyone for their input, comments, opinions and suggestions. I really appreciate the direction toward Windy City Watch Collector. They have great prices.

I haven't quite decided but I'm much closer now than before I made this post.

Many thanks!

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

Confused

My complaint isn’t about whether I know if the date will change at noon or midnight, but the explicit warning that if the date isn’t changed using the proper method the mechanism will be damaged and I’ll have one more useless piece of expensive machinery. And that’s not a recommendation, it’s clearly stated along with words to the effect of, “If you ignore this warning and kill your watch, don’t come whining to us, because we won’t fix it.”

And recommended or not for whatever reason, I’ve never managed to destroy any other watch I’ve owned as a result of ignoring it.

You must know that this is not specific to Marathon watches.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30449 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarandGuy:
Just wanted to thank everyone for their input, comments, opinions and suggestions. I really appreciate the direction toward Windy City Watch Collector. They have great prices.

I haven't quite decided but I'm much closer now than before I made this post.

Many thanks!

Try what I did, put what interests you in the cart and wait, thats how I got the offer for a lower price, I checked he is an authorized dealer and I believe the oldest in the states. He also has a website in addition to selling on ebay. WWW.windycitywatchcollector.com

Posts: 3580 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post