SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thoughts on Marathon Watches?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on Marathon Watches? Login/Join 
Picture of GarandGuy
posted
Looking for the good the bad and the ugly on Marathon brand watches. They check a lot of boxes both in style and function that I like and have been searching for. Reviews seem solid. Just looking for anyone here with real world experience before I spend $1k on a watch.

I’ve not be able to try one in person as the closest authorized dealer is in D.C area. They have a two year warranty. I don’t know much about watches, is that normal or standard?

This is the one I’ve been eyeballing: https://www.marathonwatch.com/...riant=39777488830506

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I don't think I've ever heard a criticism of Marathon other than they can be kind of thick, but if you like a chonky watch, that's not a negative. They have a loyal following, even here. Probably see CPDSIG and I think Pullicords chime in on this thread.

Posts: 17232 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think for what they are, they do fine.

I'm not a watch aficionado or, collector but, I've owned two and have no issues with them. I like the look and feel, and felt the price was appropriate.

Posts: 14705 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned a black, automatic GSARS for about 3 years now. Bought it based on many positive reviews on this very forum, followed with some research.
I needed something that I could wear all the time. I do just about everything with this thing on my wrist and only take it off for three activities.
I don’t abuse it but, but I don’t pamper it either. So far it has proven to be a good time keeper and pretty rugged.
I don’t feel that it is chunky like, say a Breitling…

Posts: 88 | Location: NEPA | Registered: February 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Lots of discussion here on the forum using the search function.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...230085394#8230085394

Posts: 4989 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I have had an initial mechanical SAR release (Oct 2001: 6645-21-558-0133) and it continues to perform flawlessly.
Yes, big and chunky but a solid 300m divers watch period.

Actually bought two when first offered by CountyComm on MilWatch forum but flipped one to a guy who missed out of the first 100.

It originally came with a high quality rubber strap but when they offered a solid link bracelet I bought one.

(not my photo)

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16262 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I wore a GSAR for about a decade, now wear a JDD (though my Sinn gets primary wrist time these days).

Worn them doing real stuff. From cop work to EMS to search and rescue. Flawless, with the exception of the glow marker sticky triangle falling out of the bezel in the GSAR, but that was an easy fix.

Only problem with them is the dang price keeps going up.

The Marathon bracelets are fantastic, though pricey. But very well made. The natural rubber straps have a wonderful vanilla smell. I usually use a Zulu strap on mine, but if the strap is not heavy enough it will dig into you from the weight. I recommend the Countycomm Zulu straps.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11451 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have a GSAR I was issued in the CG. It’s a very nice watch and I wore it for a very long time daily as a cop and a reservist.

It’s pretty heavy, and thick.
The bezel is 41.2mm across
It’s 13.68 thick
The lugs are 20mm
And from tip to tip is 48mm

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11311 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
After a ridiculous experience with a Luminox*, I still wanted a durable quartz model with tritium illumination and after reading how wonderful Marathon watches were, I was delighted to discover the “Officer’s Quartz” model.

Well, it is a good size for my small wrist, it keeps good time, and I can see the hands in the dark—all the things I like. On the other hand, in reading the instruction manual, I discovered its dire warning about using the wrong procedure to change the date setting: Do it wrong, and it will kill the watch, and that’s not covered by the warranty. Although the proper method is more or less described in the manual, my date today shows “25” because it’s simply not worth the trouble to try to ensure that I do it correctly. Why changing the date can’t be as simple as it was with the countless other much less (and more) expensive watches I’ve owned is incomprehensible.

That feature doesn’t quite reach the Luminox level of unbelievable nonsense, but it does annoy me every time I think about wearing it.

* The most over-hyped watch ever!

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47421 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^
Changing the date setting when the time is between 10pm and 2am is never recommended for watches whether the owner's manual says anything or not. Simply make sure you make changes outside of that window. If you're unsure if your watch is showing around noon or midnight simply move the hands sufficient to see the date change and then observing the caveat above go on from there.

Not a big show stopper. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16262 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I had a Marathon and had to sell it a few years ago.

I have been wearing a Deep Blue and have fallen in love with it.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3595 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love mine.
I own a CSAR in black and a Chrono. I've had the CSAR for about 10 years now, the Chrono for around 2.

They are heavy watches. Not ridiculously heavy, but you know it's on your wrist with the stainless steel band on. Somewhere on the Internet is a picture of a Marathon and a Rolex (Submariner?) side by side, there's not much of a difference! The bezel on the Marathon is thicker, which makes it look larger than it is. The 36mm that you're looking at will be lighter.

Durability? Well, the CSAR was my EDC for about 8 years. I do not baby my gear! I use and abuse my stuff. My Marathon has held up to everything and then some. Yes, it's got some scratches, but nothing that can't be buffed out. I had a small problem when I stripped the crown, but that was my fault. Service from Marathon took a little while longer than I wanted, but they also did a little tune up to it.

They appreciate in value.
One of the other Sgts on the team has the 41mm Artic, and it really stands out!

I like the stainless steel band, it looks great with the rubber / silicon band (the Marathon one smells like vanilla), and a NATO band (nylon or leather) works on it as well. You can dress the watch up or down depending on what you want.

Take a look at Windy City Watch Collector. I've got nothing but great things to say about him.

https://windycitywatchcollecto...nment-markings-36mm/

This is who I got my Chrono from, and couldn't be more pleased!

They are excellent time pieces, and you won't be disappointed.
There's a few more people on here that have Marathons, and I have yet to hear anyone say anything bad about them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CPD SIG,

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8369 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
If you're unsure if your watch is showing around noon or midnight simply move the hands sufficient to see the date change and then observing the caveat above go on from there.

Confused

My complaint isn’t about whether I know if the date will change at noon or midnight, but the explicit warning that if the date isn’t changed using the proper method the mechanism will be damaged and I’ll have one more useless piece of expensive machinery. And that’s not a recommendation, it’s clearly stated along with words to the effect of, “If you ignore this warning and kill your watch, don’t come whining to us, because we won’t fix it.”

And recommended or not for whatever reason, I’ve never managed to destroy any other watch I’ve owned as a result of ignoring it.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47421 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
Holy cow! Can’t believe the price on them now.

Great watches. I still have my Navigator with the nylon band issued to me by the Air Force in 1989 (I think, can’t remember).

Needs to serviced but no idea where to send it.

Posts: 731 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
2002 CY SAR, the original model of the mechanical SAR line (2001 and 2002). They're popular now and pretty damn expensive. Don't know what movement they now use, but mine has a base ETA 2824 that is a solid movement.

Their pricing has left me behind.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20326 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Very good looking watch. Very pricey too, but I'd wear that sucker!!

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I love my TSAR, IIRC it is a 2007 contract model w/ the radiation logo, "US Government" marking.
The thick rubber band is durable and smells like vanilla.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I like big watches, so buying a J-SAR was a no-brainer for me. That was in 2009. Never a second of regret. It can be used as a door-stop, wheel-chock, auxiliary dive-weight and tent hold-down, and batteries last, typically, four years. The lume is good for at least four hours - my daily car-carry torch is an exact match for the crystal, so 'topping up' the lume with a ten-second blast is not a problem. If I had some spare watch money handy, I'd buy a G-SAR as a just in case, but right now I'm just a happy J-SAR owner.

Posts: 11343 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Marathon makes great robust tool watches.

I like that they use both quality quartz and automatic mechanical movements which widens their appeal. Marathon along with most everything else has gotten pretty expensive these days. Omega just announced yet another price hike. Yay Frown

I would recommend checking out the German watch company Sinn if you’re not 100% set on a Marathon. Sinn pronounced “Zinn” produces quality military/professional tool watches with a somewhat similar design aesthetic and equally tough as nails build.

If you don’t care about a rotating bezel this is a superb go anywhere do anything watch.
https://www.watchbuys.com/stor...on-Strap-74p4909.htm

I wish Marathon would put their 46mm diver chronograph on a diet and downsize it closer to this 41.5mm Sinn EZM 13.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21130 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I've had a TSAR for almost two years. On my wrist every night.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post