SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does anyone use Proton Mail or another pay-for email service ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone use Proton Mail or another pay-for email service ? Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
My ISP is dropping email service, so I have to bail and start over. What a royal pita since I use my email address as a username for various logins.

I won't use any free email, since YOU are the product for sale when using those resources.

My use would be personal email, not business or marketing, and I don't have the desire or skill to run my own secure email server, so I need a secure pay for provider.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8690 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I've been using the paid-version of Proton for a couple of years and been pretty happy.

They have a $3.33/month promo going on right now.

There are a several ways to access your mail:
1. login into their site (web)
2. Use Outlook, Thunderbird or Apple Mail among some of the email clients you can use...you do have to have Proton's email bridge running.
3. Use their smartphone app

I use all three methods daily and haven't really ran into any issues.

Just recently, I canceled my Microsoft Office-based email connected to one of my domains because the email provider was charging me $6.99/month, so after canceling, I pointed my Proton account to my domain and now send/receive using my domain through Proton; this service is included in my subscription.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4336 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I use Proton. Good so far.

Posts: 11362 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arflattop
posted Hide Post
I've been using paid version of Proton mail for about three months. I have been happy with it, but I haven't used but a small bit of its capabilities. It is definitely professional level and takes a bit of time to set up and understand.

I recently upgraded to a level that includes more e-mail storage, cloud storage, VPN and more. It seems like a good service.

JPFO Life Member

Posts: 1216 | Location: Heartland of KY | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I've used Reagan.com for a couple of years, $40/yr and zero issues. https://www.reagan.com/

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’ve used FastMail.com for 20+ years. Currently $25/year for my service level.

They support IMAP and POP3 download protocols and SMTP uploads. I like the older (and simpler) POP3. It only supports one email client, which I have on my MacBook. But FastMail.com has a superb web interface that I use on my iPhone. Folks seeing me use it would likely think it was an email client.

Excellent spam filters and near 100% uptime. Also provides several alias addresses.

My email address is part of my identity. And, as OP mentioned, username for dozens of account logins. Glad to have one with good longevity.

https://www.fastmail.com/tryit...LEAAYASAAEgKPpfD_BwE

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8974 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I use free proton mail. No issues. I didn’t know I could use my Apple mail app. No idea how to set that up.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12440 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I’ve used netaddress.com (email@usa.net) for 20+ years. Run by a group called SilverSky which was bought by BAE Systems around 2015(?) or so. Starts at $40/yr. with 1GB storage, but you can buy up to 8GB.

Definitely not the cheapest, but I’ve never had a problem with access issues or spoofing and their CS is great.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
Using the paid Proton service for the last year. Free for a year before that. Very stable and the phone app is excellent.

Posts: 4812 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I use ProtonMail as well as GMail. I pay PM so I can have lots of e-mail addresses and use a "custom domain" as well as getting better VPN performance and connectivity options, but there is nothing wrong with their free tier of services. I will say that they seem very sincere in their commitment to customer privacy, and they have very responsive and knowledgeable user support. They are actively adding additional services recently rolling out Calendar and Drive products, all with high quality encryption, and at no additional incremental cost (you can buy more storage if you need it). Bottom line? Highly recommended.

It is easy to set up a local mailer (Thunderbird, etc.) with their service. You download, install, and run the "Proton Mail Bridge" that acts as a proxy to their mail servers, and configure a local connection in your mailer, after that, it "just works" giving you end-to-end encryption when accessing your inbox and other folders.

Posts: 6487 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of btgoanna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
I’ve used netaddress.com (email@usa.net) for 20+ years. Run by a group called SilverSky which was bought by BAE Systems around 2015(?) or so. Starts at $40/yr. with 1GB storage, but you can buy up to 8GB.

Definitely not the cheapest, but I’ve never had a problem with access issues or spoofing and their CS is great.

-Rob

Same.
No issues with them for 20+ years. And good spam filters.

Posts: 832 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I just buy shared hosting from Inmotion Hosting. Unlimited email addresses, no storage limits and as a side benefit you get web/photo hosting. SSLs are included. You don't have to manage a server, they do it for you. Easy.

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
+1 for Proton. The free service is a great tool for getting clients to actually encrypt everything they send to you.

PGP is supposed to be better, but if the client can send email, they can figure out proton mail

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post