SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boeing Has Some New Problems
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boeing Has Some New Problems Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
a failure of some of the thrusters on the Starliner capsule has stranded astronauts on the ISS

just heard about it on KTLA

Posts: 53750 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
at least a door didn't fly off, yet...

Posts: 24165 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Not exactly new. The Starliner issue was discovered over a month ago (mid June), and the two astronauts have been waiting on the space station ever since as Boeing/NASA work on potential fixes. A month longer than originally planned.

Posts: 32992 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
It’s going to be awesome when they finally hire Spacex to bring them back to earth.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3894 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I heard this morning they're going to try again to bring the Starliner down later today. Not sure whether that's with actual people in it though.

Posts: 7386 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Well if they bring it back uncrewed and it has a problem all they lose is a hull but they gain an open docking port.

I wonder if Musk has made an offer yet?

Posts: 53750 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Add another couple of lesbians to the team. Problem solved

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
As for Musk and SpaceX saving the day, don't forget that they are on a launch hold due to the Falcon Engine failure on their last Starlink launch.

I don't doubt that they will clear the issue and regain flight status, but at the moment there are no US launch vehicles capable to get a capsule to the ISS (to my knowledge).

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3384 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...hello Vladimir, this is your friend Joe --- yes that Joe, I have a favor...

Posts: 928 | Location: SE-PA | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Starliner part that has the Problem Thrusters burns up on re-entry. So if they don't figure it out before hand they won't be able to afterwards.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13482 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Add another couple of lesbians to the team. Problem solved

Big Grin

Posts: 11431 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
The really sad part is they knew they had a problem, but since they were so far behind on the schedule and overbudget they launched them anyway.

Posts: 3745 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I actually know one of the astronauts - Butch (Barry Wilmore). I used to go to church with him.

Posts: 4217 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
As for Musk and SpaceX saving the day, don't forget that they are on a launch hold due to the Falcon Engine failure on their last Starlink launch.

I don't doubt that they will clear the issue and regain flight status, but at the moment there are no US launch vehicles capable to get a capsule to the ISS (to my knowledge).

Return to Flight... Wink

https://x.com/SpaceX/status/1817094986590224446

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9411 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boeing will bring them back. All the way to the scene of the crash

Posts: 59 | Registered: April 28, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing to see here folks, move along. Boeing says Starliner good to go.

Hey Elon, can you help a brother out? We've got a Helium leak, a couple of thrusters are still sh*tting the bed and NASA & Boeing disagree about whether we should man up and just come back or stay. In the meantime, they've sent a recording of Gilligan's Island for us to listen too.

No worries, if we bounce off the atmosphere and head toward Mars, we hitch a ride back your Mars probe.

Oh, we gotta wait until February? No problem we've got extra TV dinners we can eat. Thanks!

Posts: 1479 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An interesting aspect is- Boeing didn't load the Autonomous flight software so Starliner can only come back with a crew on board.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13482 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Starliner, the Bayliner of spacecraft. I hope they bought the trip insurance.

Posts: 11540 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Well isn't that just special

Wonder who the rocket scientist was that decided that sound be a good idea.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
an update - NASA is now thinking they will have to ditch the 'Starliner' and get SpaceX to bring the stranded astronauts home on a Dragon

Boeing was awarded twice the money that SpaceX was for the development, took far more time, and still failed miserably

Who didn't see this coming