SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I’ve Discovered I Can No Longer Drink White Wine
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I’ve Discovered I Can No Longer Drink White Wine Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I can drink whites all day and night, but a sip of red wine and I'm down for the count with a massive headache

Posts: 53184 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

Are you drinking domestic or imported whites? The reason I ask is the imported tend to have more sulphites to preserve them during shipping.

Seems to happen with pretty much any white wine now domestic or imported, I think it's an allergic reaction.

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Never really cared for whites. A nice big hearty red? Now your talking. Sadly a few years ago (maybe 4 or 5) red wines started not liking me. Have a glass, gonna feel it the morning, and not in a good way. I figured it was karma catching up with me for my younger years. My wine drinking days are over.

Happily, no such issues with bourbon, rye, or Irish. Smile

Oddly enough, went wine tasting with Mrs. slosig the other day when we were on a short getaway. As the designated driver, drinking was out of the question, but smelling them made for an enjoyable with no unpleasant after affects.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
One more option before giving up on whites is to try a low-sulphite or organic white wine

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23261 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
One more option before giving up on whites is to try a low-sulphite or organic white wine

Beat me to it. I was going to suggest trying a sulfite free white wine and see if that helps. If the symptoms go away then you know.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
This has been going on a few years now but it seems I’ve somehow developed an allergy or something to white wine? All it takes is a few sips and I’m hiccuping and burping and feeling acid-reflux like symptoms and it can last an hour or two.

It doesn’t happen with red wine or any other kind of alcohol. Any idea what could be going on here? I know most whites are high in sulfites and reds are not, could that be it? Is it the acidity? I can drink any other acidic drink and this doesn’t happen to me but drink an ounce or two of any white wine and BOOM, it hits me.

Weird.

I have exactly the same issue with most white wines and possibly their higher acidity. I've wondered if it is due to the fact that whites have a higher concentration of malic acid than typical red wines.

Oddly, my father was the opposite: he could drink whites, but not red.

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kept Bum
posted Hide Post
Stop drinking any type of wine, you need whiskey or moonshine.

"It does not require many words to speak the truth.".....Chief Joseph

https://pbase.com/shellyva/image/171613535

Posts: 88 | Location: Out there, somewhere | Registered: May 05, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post