SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I’ve Discovered I Can No Longer Drink White Wine
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I’ve Discovered I Can No Longer Drink White Wine Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
This has been going on a few years now but it seems I’ve somehow developed an allergy or something to white wine? All it takes is a few sips and I’m hiccuping and burping and feeling acid-reflux like symptoms and it can last an hour or two.

It doesn’t happen with red wine or any other kind of alcohol. Any idea what could be going on here? I know most whites are high in sulfites and reds are not, could that be it? Is it the acidity? I can drink any other acidic drink and this doesn’t happen to me but drink an ounce or two of any white wine and BOOM, it hits me.

Weird.

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
That's ok. You should be drinking whiskey anyway. Wink

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
It’s one of George Carlin’s “Things you don’t hear,”…… “Dad you should drink more.”

Posts: 2776 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I've never been able to drink white wines.
Reds are fine and I enjoy them, but very often white wine makes me feel a little nauseous.

I'd much rather have a good beer or a good bourbon, though.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is the opposite. I love red wine but more than about half a glass and I will have the worst headache/hangover ever. White wine is no problem but red is a major problem. Shrug? I guess our bodies just change with age.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've never been able to drink white wine. It gives me a terrible headache and heartburn after about a half a glass.

Don't have that problem with any other alcohol, or any non-alcoholic grape juice. Not even red wine. (Although I dislike 99% of all red wines I've tried before.)

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'm strange. I know that.
I don't drink red white; it gives me acid reflux. I'm good with white wine.

Tomato sauces have the same effect. I usually eat spaghetti alfredo.

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Don’t beat yourself up, I never could. While I enjoy foods cooked in it, white wine was always undrinkable to me.

Posts: 3148 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I get the same response from tea.

Posts: 9964 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My co-worker has a smilier problem. She used to be able to drink Sauvignon blanc, no issues. The last 18-months, all sorts of issues. Dr told her to cut it out, no more problems.

Posts: 14656 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Same thing happened to me around the age of 30 with white wine. One day it just starting hitting me the way you describe. Prior to that I enjoyed it with no issues. No problem with red wine before or since, just white.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
If I had been her doctor, I would have recommended a non-oakey Chardonnay, or perhaps a Pinot Grigio.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
Maybe I'm strange. I know that.
I don't drink red white; it gives me acid reflux. I'm good with white wine.

Tomato sauces have the same effect. I usually eat spaghetti alfredo.

I drink red wine with zero issues but often have heartburn if I drink white. It's interesting to me how there is inconsistency with this. Possibly difference in the nitrates?

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
No problem with whites but couldn't tolerate reds until I discovered Malbec. Those go down fine for some reason.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
No problem with whites but couldn't tolerate reds until I discovered Malbec. Those go down fine for some reason.

I've found that if I have 2 drinks of cheaper red wine, I get a headache, which is something that never happens for any reason but drinking red wine.

If I drink the more expensive red wines, I don't get the headache. I chalk it up to sulfites in the wine.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’ve never been able to drink white wine either; I don’t like it.

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Lots of sugar in most white wines. I don't know if that's related to your problems.

Posts: 9514 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Lots of sugar in most white wines. I don't know if that's related to your problems.

Not the ones I drink, can't stand sweet wines.

Dry wine for me of whites and reds.

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herkdriver:
Mine is the opposite. I love red wine but more than about half a glass and I will have the worst headache/hangover ever. White wine is no problem but red is a major problem. Shrug? I guess our bodies just change with age.
Headaches tend to be sulphites. Here is an article.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23261 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:

Not the ones I drink, can't stand sweet wines.

Dry wine for me of whites and reds.
Are you drinking domestic or imported whites? The reason I ask is the imported tend to have more sulphites to preserve them during shipping.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23261 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post