SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It must be reassuring to carry a weapon in California
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It must be reassuring to carry a weapon in California Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted
Not sure if the original was posted where a guy coming home from the gym was attacked in his front door, defended himself with a firearm successfully albeit no bad guy hurt.

WELL, since he is now a "BAD GUY" in California now they revoked his carry license.
Not sure how this desperado even got a license anyway.
We can't have him shooting up hoodied-gang-bangers to protect his wife and baby. Frown

Massachusetts and California are two great places ain't it.
How anyone can choose that tyranny over freedom is a mystery to me. Confused

Posts: 22966 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Massachusetts and California are two great places ain't it.
How anyone can choose that tyranny over freedom is a mystery to me.

Why, so they can say “my side won!” of course.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15644 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I generally like CN, but he describes the agency involved as the "LAPD Sheriff's Department", when in fact these are two different agencies. Was it LAPD (a Los Angeles City department run by an appointed chief of police) or the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department (an agency run by the elected Sheriff of the County of Los Angeles). Give credit or blame where credit or blame is due please. Confusing situations like this can and does lead to a lack of confidence in the reporter.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10216 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried several guns in California. Carried them right to the border and kept on going.

Posts: 17158 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
I generally like CN, but he describes the agency involved as the "LAPD Sheriff's Department", when in fact these are two different agencies.

OK, I guess if you are in one agency or another it might ruffle your feathers.
However, most people consider the Sherriff's Office and the Local PD to be basically> the same.
Sure they may be built differently and have some different duties but both are cut from the same cloth to most everybody.
To focus on this and even try to discredit the messenger is disingenuous at best.

No matter WHO, this is an outrage and blatant infringement the 2th amendment.

Another interview:

Posts: 22966 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
I generally like CN, but he describes the agency involved as the "LAPD Sheriff's Department", when in fact these are two different agencies.

OK, I guess if you are in one agency or another it might ruffle your feathers.
However, most people consider the Sherriff's Office and the Local PD to be basically> the same.
Sure they may be built differently and have some different duties but both are cut from the same cloth to most everybody.
To focus on this and even try to discredit the messenger is disingenuous at best.

No matter WHO, this is an outrage and blatant infringement the 2th amendment.

I believe he was pointing out the lazy YouTube videos that are all about stoking outrage, and little about being factually correct. Kinda like posting something about “outrage and the ‘2th’ Amendment”.

Lazy reporting is an outrage whenever CNN does it. Perfectly acceptable when it’s something we agree with. While we’re at it, we seem to also be upset about double standards. Well, sometimes.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you're willing to accept this, then you shouldn't ever object to folks calling the AR-15 an Assault Weapon

It is the same laziness that can be used to attack the creditability of the reporter.

FWIW: No one in the LE community considers LAPD and LASO anything close to being the same either in culture or policies

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14190 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:

If you're willing to accept this, then you shouldn't ever object to folks calling the AR-15 an Assault Weapon

C'mon man, that makes no sense at all. Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:

C'mon man, that makes no sense at all. Roll Eyes

Sure it does. Precision in language is important. All he's saying is that any blame should be laid at the correct doorstep and while "most people" may not see the difference, that doesn't make them right.

Posts: 5171 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
OK guys, this is my thread, I do so stipulate there is a difference of a Sherriff and a Police Officer.
NOW, the point is the man's 2nd amendment right was violated after a clearly lawful engagement.
This not right and the point of this thread in general.
If ya'll want to discuss the differences of Sherriff's and PD's please do in your own thread, thank you.

SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK guys, this is my thread, I do so stipulate there is a difference of a Sherriff and a Police Officer.
NOW, the point is the man's 2nd amendment right was violated after a clearly lawful engagement.
This not right and the point of this thread in general.
If ya'll want to discuss the differences of Sherriff's and PD's please do in your own thread, thank you.

Well, if we want to parse words, it is really a “right protected by the second amendment”, not a “2nd amendment right.”

Wink

Just joshing you!

Posts: 2947 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that it is the Sheriff's Departments in California that issue concealed carry permits. So while the incident took place in LAPD's jurisdiction, it was the Sheriff's Department that decided to revoke his carry permit.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11789 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
My understanding is that it is the Sheriff's Departments in California that issue concealed carry permits. So while the incident took place in LAPD's jurisdiction, it was the Sheriff's Department that decided to revoke his carry permit.

Just making an educated guess here.

His interaction with LAPD cause the responding officers to file a complaint with the CCW's issuing Agency...which would be the LASO. I figure LASO has a policy of responding to complaint filed by an outside LE agency of suspending the CCW in question. That's fairly typical

I have no idea what type of investigation took place for it to be withdrawn or what sort of appeal/hearing rights are involved...it is usually spelled out during the application process and agreed to prior to issuance

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14190 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my CCW, it been pounded into our head that you’re to be extra cooperative with LEO. They say as a CCW holder you’re held to a higher standard.

I thought his CCW permit had been taken as part of a normal investigation. However I had to watch the CN video to understand that LASO had revoked it. In a county where a CCW is a little more difficult to get, maybe the sheriff is a little more sensitive (and succumbs to pressure) to revoke the permit.

Similar situations have taken place in friendlier CA counties. The sheriff usually give the CCW holder a high five. Not the case with LASO.

P229

Posts: 3856 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:

Depending on the jurisdiction, carry permits are issued by either chief of police, or county sheriff, in California.

Posts: 475 | Location: California | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54738 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:Well, if we want to parse words, it is really a “right protected by the second amendment”, not a “2nd amendment right.”

I've been reminding Americans and telling everybody that fact for more years than I can recall.

I'm still 'corrected' on occasions by your fellow-countrymen.

Posts: 11351 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Seems odd to grant a person a license to carry a concealed firearm only to take the license away if the person uses that concealed firearm in self-defense. That’d be like granting someone a driver’s license only to take it away because they drove a car.

Is there more to the story? I’m really curious why this guy was targeted. He doesn’t seem like a random, soft target.

Posts: 11046 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
The leo agency responsible for revoking his rights is just petty. Bunch of children entrusted with the power to fuck your life up. That's some scary shit.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the state of CA, the county sheriff is who issues conceal carry licenses, however within cities, the police department may require citizens go through them instead of the sheriff or, you can go through either, I know in San Francisco you can apply via either department, SFPD with larger resources than the SO, seems to be processing them faster than the SO.

This homeowner lives in the heart of Los Angeles, West of DTLA and a section north of I-10. The giant swath just South of this area, that runs along I-110 is bad guy-land, lots and lots of perpetrators come out of this section seeking 'opportunities' to prey upon surrounding neighborhoods. Sounds like LASO issued his CCL permit and LAPD is the lead investigating agency. LASO has a new sheriff, who's nowhere close to being understanding and as accommodating to citizen self-defense and the 2A as the last sheriff, who often clashed with LA officials and city council during COVID lockdowns. As for culture, LASO generally is much more conservative than LAPD which tends to be a tool of the LA city council.

Posts: 14717 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post