SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amazon US customers have one week to opt out of mass wireless sharing
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon US customers have one week to opt out of mass wireless sharing Login/Join 
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted
Amazon customers have one week to opt out of a plan that would turn every Echo speaker and Ring security camera in the US into a shared wireless network, as part of the company’s plan to fix connection problems for its smart home devices.
The proposal, called Amazon Sidewalk, involves the company’s devices being used as a springboard to build city-wide “mesh networks” that help simplify the process of setting up new devices, keep them online even if they’re out of range of home wifi, and extend the range of tracking devices such as those made by Tile.

https://amp.theguardian.com/te...e_AndroidApp_Other&_

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No ring, no echo, none of that crap. I find in interesting that, in the 50's and 60's, fiction was written about the future, with government placing listening devices in our homes. The wildest of writers never speculated we would actually buy them and pay subscription fees for them.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:

Amazon customers have one week to opt out of a plan that would turn every Echo speaker and Ring security camera in the US into a shared wireless network
Is the Ring Video Doorbell part of this scheme?

If so, how do you disable this bug?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30677 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
No ring, no echo, none of that crap. I find in interesting that, in the 50's and 60's, fiction was written about the future, with government placing listening devices in our homes. The wildest of writers never speculated we would actually buy them and pay subscription fees for them.

The idea that people actually volunteer to use these listening services (Siri, Alexa , Cortana , etc.) is mind boggling. Because of this wholehearted enthusiasm, Companies have made it difficult to even opt out. You can't even download many apps for your phone without giving access to your microphone. Even applications that don't need it require it before you can use the app. Corporate media has convinced an entire generation that sharing everything you say and do is a good thing.
It's rapidly getting to the point where finding a light bulb that's not Alexa enabled will be difficult. Roll Eyes

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Apple's already there. Here's how Apple uses other iDevices to determine the location of their new AirTag tracking device:

From the May 9 WSJ:

quote:
When an AirTag isn’t in proximity of your iPhone, it uses other Apple devices to report its location on the Find My network. Whenever an iPhone, iPad or Mac comes within Bluetooth range of an AirTag, it can quickly connect to it and report that location back to the AirTag’s owner. This is done through an encrypted and anonymous background connection. My colleague Christopher Mims recently explained how it all works.

And, from the article referenced in the last sentence above , here is what it does:
quote:
These coin-size trackers can help locate lost items almost anywhere, because they use the company’s Find My network. Each AirTag sends out a low-powered wireless signal, which can be received by the iPhones, iPads and Macs in a given area.

Yes, perfect strangers are using slivers of our bandwidth, as our devices send out and listen to little chirrups of radio chatter that don’t pertain to us. And you’re now able to leverage the radios and internet connection of countless devices owned by other people, too.

Supposedly one can opt out, if you know how. The latter article implies this would entail opting out of the 'find my phone' feature, though.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
You will be ass-imolated ... resistance is fee-yoo-tile.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:
quote:

The idea that people actually volunteer to use these listening services (Siri, Alexa , Cortana , etc.) is mind boggling. Because of this wholehearted enthusiasm, Companies have made it difficult to even opt out. You can't even download many apps for your phone without giving access to your microphone. Even applications that don't need it require it before you can use the app. Corporate media has convinced an entire generation that sharing everything you say and do is a good thing.
It's rapidly getting to the point where finding a light bulb that's not Alexa enabled will be difficult. Roll Eyes

Put me in the tinfoil hat column that assumes they are listening to you on your phone whether it is on or not. It's just that they don't have enough ears to listen to everything......yet.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
So disabling "Find My Phone" has some consequences, here is the notification e-mail:

quote:
Find My has been disabled on Architect’s iPhone.

With Find My disabled, this device can no longer be located, placed in Lost Mode, or remotely erased using icloud.com/find or the Find My app.

In addition, your Apple ID and password will no longer be required for someone to erase, reactivate, and use your iPhone.

Obviously, Apple very much wants you to "opt in."

Posts: 6476 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:
quote:

Put me in the tinfoil hat column that assumes they are listening to you on your phone whether it is on or not. It's just that they don't have enough ears to listen to everything......yet.

Many of the Tinfoil hats have turned professional.

They don't have to have people listening. Everything is recorded and stored. AI takes care of the rest.

Here are a couple of examples where end users are targeted.

These companies say it's done to improve the product. I would be curious to see the list of names that are selected and who determines this. No room for abuse here! Big Grin

Microsoft workers listen to some Skype calls and Cortana recordings, company admits in privacy update

https://www.geekwire.com/2019/...mits-privacy-update/

Apple’s hired contractors are listening to your recorded Siri conversations, too
https://www.theverge.com/2019/...exa-google-assistant

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not see Ring Doorbell Cams listed as Sidewalk Enabled devices, only Floodlight Cam and Spotlight Cams.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
nly Floodlight Cam and Spotlight Cams.

I have a few Ring cameras that I use to monitor key locations. I cringed when I heard Amazon bought the company.

-- George Orwell

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
So why is this bad? I'm not understanding why this is bad? Isn't increased connectivity a better thing?

There is encryption and very little traffic should come out of my personal WiFi, no?

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I don't have or use Echo and I live far enough out in the country that I have a hard enough time getting my own Wifi.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
So why is this bad? I'm not understanding why this is bad? Isn't increased connectivity a better thing?

There is encryption and very little traffic should come out of my personal WiFi, no?

I mean, if the city or government wants to put a cell tower or mail-drop box on your property, and it’s for the common good… why not?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Noticed that Sidewalk isn't an option to turn on and off on the Echo, probably because it's not a Gen 3, and in the Ring App the Doorbell wasn't listed as an option to add to sidewalk, only the security cams (we have no Ring Security Cams)

What are Sidewalk Bridges, and which devices are able to become Sidewalk Bridges?

Sidewalk Bridges are devices that provide connections to Amazon Sidewalk. Today, Sidewalk Bridges include many Echo devices and select Ring Floodlight and Spotlight Cams. A comprehensive list of Sidewalk devices includes: Ring Floodlight Cam (2019), Ring Spotlight Cam Wired (2019), Ring Spotlight Cam Mount (2019), Echo (3rd gen and newer), Echo Dot (3rd gen and newer), Echo Dot for Kids (3rd gen and newer), Echo Dot with Clock (3rd gen and newer), Echo Plus (all generations), Echo Show (2nd gen), Echo Show 5, 8, 10 (all generations), Echo Spot, Echo Studio, Echo Input, Echo Flex.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

In the interest of increasing connectivity, you won't mind if I hook a hose up to you hose bib or an extension cord to one of your external outlets in case my water or power go out. It'll just be a little bit, you won't hardly noticed, I promise. What's being proposed is doesn't seem bad, but it's just the beginning. I noticed smart locks are one of devices that will be using this service. I'm assuming these are home entry type locks. What could possibly go wrong?

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:

In the interest of increasing connectivity, you won't mind if I hook a hose up to you hose bib or an extension cord to one of your external outlets in case my water or power go out. It'll just be a little bit, you won't hardly noticed, I promise. What's being proposed is doesn't seem bad, but it's just the beginning. I noticed smart locks are one of devices that will be using this service. I'm assuming these are home entry type locks. What could possibly go wrong?

Let's not forget you have to type in your encryption information in the configuration settings of these devices to work on your network.

In my mind, there will be unencrypted traffic being used to set up and operate this "public network" that could allow someone in to your private network as there will have to be some type of encryptions and decryption of data to get on to the internet.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The Echo is OK but I favor the Orwell.

Posts: 107608 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
This explains why my Ring Spotlight Cam quit working and wouldn't reconnect until I downloaded an "update." It's been handy, but I think I will disconnect it permanently.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post