SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Love my chain saw
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Love my chain saw Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
This is the way

NO its not. Once the fuel lines and carburetor have seen ethanol fuel they are headed downhill. Draining is not going to stop it. A 12y saw probably hasn't seen ethanol fuel and its like the good old days.
I have dozens of Stihl's. The only good strategy is no ethanol -ever- . Follow that and all will be fine.
Agree 100%. However, I stopped using ethanol laden fuel many, many, years ago when pure gas became readily available. But I still store my tools dry if they're destined to sit idle for any amount of time. My Stihl MS-260 saw only sees use every other year or so, and when I need it, its always ready to go after a splash of fresh fuel.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Gentlemen, don't be a knucklehead. Fuel up the saw, cut what you need to, then turn the saw on its side or upside down and drain the tank, then fire it up and let it run until it burns the remaining fuel in it. Don't leave fuel in the saw when its not in use and it will function without issue when you need it.

That’s one option. I prefer to use 100LL, aviation fuel, which is actually stable over time, not full of aromatics, and doesn’t turn into varnish and donkey piss after a week or two, unlike the garbage that one buys at the local gas station. If fact, we use 100LL in most small motors on the ranch. The Honda gx series are great motors, but they don’t like sitting with shitty gas. The log splitter has a Briggs and Stratton and it doesn’t seem to care, can sit for months with no issues, but all other small motors get better gas.

Posts: 6923 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
That’s one option. I prefer to use 100LL, aviation fuel, which is actually stable over time, not full of aromatics, and doesn’t turn into varnish and donkey piss after a week or two, unlike the garbage that one buys at the local gas station.
I'm curious. What's the octane rating for that fuel, and how much is it per gallon? Not sure I have convenient access to it where I live.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I own a small plane, also mix in some 100 octane ‘low lead’ aviation fuel at times. This may be 1/2 gallon mixed with 91 octane non-ethanol auto fuel, then the oil mix. This is for the chain saws & Echo weed whipper.

I also use the 100 LL aviation fuel for winter mower storage, Summer snowblower, & similar. The deal is to run it in the last mow or so, you want the carb 100% 100LL.

Aviation fuel has a spec that requires it to be unchanged going out at least a year sitting in tanks, among other things. Of course it smells better too.

I have an O29 Stihl I bought new in 1993, seen a fair bit of use. It’s been running poorly the last few years, all the easy stuff has been checked. I just brought it in last week. It needs more than a simple carb adjustment. I’ll see what they come up with. He said he’d start with a compression check, then look at the carb.

I have the 361 Stihl also, may be using it today.

Posts: 6176 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since I have been able to get it, I use alcohol free gas in my two-stroke machines. It stores well and the saw always starts. My Stihl chainsaw is an 028 Farm Boss, purchased new when we built the house in 1987-88. I used it for some work today and it started with the normal 3-4 pulls. I never empty the gas tank for storage, but I do use it at least once a month.
I did have to replace the carburetor a few years ago (5-10 years ago?). I figured the alcohol in the gas caused problems in the aluminum carburetor. With no alcohol I have has no problems.
It typically takes me several months to go through two gallons of fuel mix. It stores well in a metal gas can. In another metal fuel can I keep the alcohol free gas, ready for mixing as I need it.
As far as alcohol & aluminum causing problems, alcohol can absorb water from the air. Water and aluminum will eventually react, doing the aluminum equivalent of “rusting”. This happening in the fine passages of a carburetor will cause clogging. When that happens the best solution is to replace the carburetor.

Ever wonder what is in that fuel additive for your car that takes water out of your gas tank? Then it gets burned in your engine? Think maybe it includes some alcohol?

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post