SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Love my chain saw
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Love my chain saw Login/Join 
Picture of p08
posted
About 15 years ago I bought a Stihl saw. It does not get used much anymore as I sold the farm last year. But it sat in it's case in the garage for at least 2 years with the same fuel in it. Well a branch split from one of my trees. So I go get my saw and the damn thing fired up after a bit of coaxing! I was amazed that it still ran after sitting so long. I suppose the oil mix must have stabilized the fuel? Made short work of a 15' long 6" think branch too!

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What a coincidence

Posts: 107706 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are luckier than me. Last time I let my Stihl sit for longer than a year I had to pull and clean the carburetor. Not difficult, but annoying nonetheless.

Posts: 2490 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
What a coincidence

lol!

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
quote:
What a coincidence

?

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Dump the fuel NOW and get yourself a can of TruFuel 50:1 or the Stihl premix fuel equivalent. That stuff can sit in saws for years and years. Fantastic stuff.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
You’re lucky the gas lines didn’t disintegrate, unless you use ethanol free gas for small engines.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Dump the fuel NOW and get yourself a can of TruFuel 50:1 or the Stihl premix fuel equivalent. That stuff can sit in saws for years and years. Fantastic stuff.

I can vouch for TruFuel. My Stihl saw does not get the workout it did in my younger days. It starts after a couple of pulls every time I need it now that I run this fuel in it.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

Wow that stuff is expensive! But I guess if it doesn't mess up the engine, I would be money ahead in the long run.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I use OPTI-II synthetic 2 stroke oil mix with E10 gas in my Echo weed whacker, power broom and both saws.

I never drain the tanks, they often sit for months at a time and never fail to start.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15267 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:
quote:
What a coincidence

?

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/7650077384

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8221 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
What a coincidence

?

Look down 6 posts from yours. Para taking down a tree

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Guess I have a different way of thinking.

I use the battery powered Stihl. While I have no plans to become a lumberjack, it has been good for everything that I have needed it to do.

Posts: 9168 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
quote:
What a coincidence

?

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/7650077384

I see said the blind man! Thanks!!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Guess I have a different way of thinking.

I use the battery powered Stihl. While I have no plans to become a lumberjack, it has been good for everything that I have needed it to do.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, don't be a knucklehead. Fuel up the saw, cut what you need to, then turn the saw on its side or upside down and drain the tank, then fire it up and let it run until it burns the remaining fuel in it. Don't leave fuel in the saw when its not in use and it will function without issue when you need it.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Neither my Stihl or Echo saws seem to have problems starting up after sitting (knock on wood). The Stihl generally runs at least once every 3-4 months while the larger Echo maybe only once a year and I use E10 gas. Maybe the oil mix offers some stabilization property?
In all honesty my Stihl battery saw gets used for most of the trimming and small cleanup chores anymore.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7112 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Gentlemen, don't be a knucklehead. Fuel up the saw, cut what you need to, then turn the saw on its side or upside down and drain the tank, then fire it up and let it run until it burns the remaining fuel in it. Don't leave fuel in the saw when its not in use and it will function without issue when you need it.

^^^This is the way. No fancy fuels, no stabilizer, but it works every time. Case in point: we have an FS-450 clearing saw we bought maybe 15 years ago. It was run dry like bigdeal says when it was last used 12 years ago. I needed it again this year, so I put fresh fuel/oil mix in it, pressed the primer bulb, set the choke, pulled the rope twice until it popped, flipped the choke to the run position, pulled the rope again and it started exactly they way it did 12 years ago. Same with our saws.

Posts: 11005 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is the way

NO its not. Once the fuel lines and carburetor have seen ethanol fuel they are headed downhill. Draining is not going to stop it. A 12y saw probably hasn't seen ethanol fuel and its like the good old days.
I have dozens of Stihl's. The only good strategy is no ethanol -ever- . Follow that and all will be fine.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11012 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Using Rec gas is not enough. You have to run them dry. I had three other pieces of equipment that have never seen ethanol, had fuel stabilizer when the were put away last year that didn’t start and needed their carbs taken apart and cleaned. Never had an issue with them when they were run dry. Unfortunately, I didn’t do it last year because we had to leave early. I had asked someone else to do it, but it didn’t get done and I spent 6 hours rebuilding carbs this summer. I don’t consider Rec gas a fancy fuel, rather I was referring to the over $30 a gallon Stihl MotoMix mentioned in another post.

Posts: 11005 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post