SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    WW2 RAF Pilot Signatures
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WW2 RAF Pilot Signatures Login/Join 
posted
Hello- I found a book in our case that my father in law brought over from the UK on the Blitz. He got it in a charity shop, but it turns out it has some interesting signatures inside the cover.

edit- just signed up to imgur to post this- not sure if it is the embed, igur sharing or cache, not able to see it in this post

https://imgur.com/gallery/ooE1CcK

I recognize Robert Stanford Tuck and James "Ginger" Lacey and Christopher Foxley Norris, but can't make out the others.

The BBC guy also shows up in Wikipedia. Anyone able to make out the names? I'd love to know who else is there.

Not looking for a value, as I will hold onto this and hopefully pass it down. (unless my father in law comes over to reclaim it) Smile

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Don Kingsely

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
On my phone now, and the screen is too small to seethe names well, so I'll double back and check on a larger display later.

In the last year or two, there was a documentary (BBC?) that interviewed one of the last surviving fighter pilots from the Battle of Britain. IIRC, he was an Irishman, living in a home for retirees. Even at his age he was remarkably sharp and animated, although I seem to recall he was in a wheelchair. Not %100 certain, but I think it may have been Ginger Lacey.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest reading Sir Douglas Bahder's book on his experiences flying in the Battle of Britain.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Chris Foxley-Norris

Brian Kingcome

Tom Gleave

Don Kingaby

Cool book. Used to live near a pub called the White Hart in Brasted, Kent where all the BoB pilots from Biggin Hill used to drink after ops. They had a blackboard (chalk board) that they all signed, including (after the war) Adolf Galland. The original board was later presented to the RAF Museum in Hendon, London.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

IIRC, he was an Irishman, living in a home for retirees. Even at his age he was remarkably sharp and animated, although I seem to recall he was in a wheelchair. Not %100 certain, but I think it may have been Ginger Lacey.

Thanks for that- depending on the accuracy of Wikipedia, Ginger Lacey was a Yorkshire man. That is one broad accent that is probably least likely to sound Irish. This finding has been a good distraction today.

Robert Stanford Tuck was godfather to Adolf Galland's son! it seems they got along well. cool stories about him in Wiki:
Robert Stanford Tuck

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Hendon is a tremendous museum.

Am I missing somewhere the title of the book being specified?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Holy crap.

What a treasure.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is called "the Blitz on Britain" by Alfred Price. The book itself isn't so important, but who signed is.

Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I looked around. There is one copy of this signed by the author but no others available with anything like what you have. A true treasure.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
nice set,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post