SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to loosen over tightened bolt?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to loosen over tightened bolt? Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Pretty sure the Jews used it to move the big stones across dry sand to build the pyramids.

Dammit SIGmonkey, you're giving away all the secret knowledge thought lost to the "sans of thyme."

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32002 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I would suggest some Never Seize on the bolt when reassembling.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4173 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're a gun owner and you don't have Kroil?

You can make weasel pee with 50/50 ATF and Acetone. (damned good Kroil Klone)
Some of the best penetrating oil ever.

Pretty sure the Jews used it to move the big stones across dry sand to build the pyramids.

That made me laugh!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24578 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
An impact wrench will zip it off in less than a second. Every man should own a compressor and good impact wrench, FYI.

This. I have no patience for wrestling with fasteners.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29905 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by birddog1:
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
An impact wrench will zip it off in less than a second. Every man should own a compressor and good impact wrench, FYI.

I do have a 25 gallon compressor, may have to invest in a good impact wrench as well.

I have the Harbor Freight Earthquake. I think I paid like $65-70 for it after 20% coupon. It will remove bolts up to 800 ft lbs. It literally zips every single bolt off I have ever tried in less than a second. I use it at least once a month and it has paid for itself in spades already.

http://www.harborfreight.com/a...ct-wrench-68424.html

Their new composite Earthquake is said to be good for removing 1200 ft lbs.

http://www.harborfreight.com/a...ct-wrench-62891.html

These big boy impact wrenches require a lot of air, so no 1/4 inch air lines. 3/8 is minimum, with 1/2 hose and fittings being better.

Posts: 6705 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kroil penetrating oil and lot's of foul language always works for me. As a last resort, as my high school machine shop teacher would say..."Now we are going to heat it and beat it".

Posts: 392 | Registered: February 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
See if Harbor Freight has an 'impact driver.' If they have one there, it shouldn't cost too much. As the name suggests, it's an impact driven tool (hit it with a hammer) that can be set for either right or left turn. One end is 3/8 drive that will take sockets or screwdriver heads, the other end you strike. It's splined to deliver strong torque to whatever you're trying to loosen. Handy tool to have anyway

Posts: 13564 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not sure how they put this stupid thing on

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5806 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post

LSCFTW.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32002 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're a gun owner and you don't have Kroil?

You can make weasel pee with 50/50 ATF and Acetone.
(damned good Kroil Klone)

Some of the best penetrating oil ever.

Oh I have Kroil. Use it regularly but didn't even think of that. Forgive my foolishness. Big Grin

Posts: 2352 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:
I'm not sure how they put this stupid thing on

Now put the hulk in some Amish apparel and I think you have it pegged.

Posts: 2352 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
I always keep some galvanized and PVC pipe to get leverage on wrenches when needed. Think "cheater"

Posts: 4830 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
Soak it in AeroKroil penetrant spray for several hours or even a day.
It is available at NAPA and Amazon and blows PB Blaster away. Great barrel cleaner too!

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Take the spark plug wire or wires off

You would be surprised to see how many people fail to do this. I am not mechanically inclined but I remember this. Kind of like the gun safety rules.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
cheater pipe aka long handle wrench ....

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
I would suggest some Never Seize on the bolt when reassembling.

+100000000 I always use it

Posts: 13047 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by birddog1:
I think it was just over tightened, I bought it from an Amish dealer and I think they used a little too much muscle.
Probably Mennonite .

Posts: 4247 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
PB Blaster and impacts work wonders.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7148 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post