SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to loosen over tightened bolt?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to loosen over tightened bolt? Login/Join 
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted
Last fall I bought a new Toro mower from a dealer. 2nd Toro mower I've had. Yesterday I tried, emphasis on TRIED, to change the blade. I'm not sure how they put this stupid thing on but no matter what I do, I can't loosen the bolt. I can put all my weight on it and it won't budge. So short of taking it back to the dealer, how can I loosen this stupid thing? Would heating it work?

Posts: 2352 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Whack it dead center with a hammer.

Torching it will work also.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34390 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mars

Posts: 2352 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is most likely left hand threads. Try righty loosey, lefty tighty

Posts: 3682 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Also don't use a 12 spline socket, it will just round it off.

Use a 6 sided socket. These newer little battery impact wrenches work very well. I have rattled many a stuck bolt off with my DeWalt 18v.

I just use two box end wrenches and lock them together for fulcrum, then grasp my fingers along the blade to pull the wrenches.

Stick a block of wood in the discharge to block the blade from moving.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34390 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Also don't use a 12 spline socket, it will just round it off.

Use a 6 sided socket. These newer little battery impact wrenches work very well. I have rattled many a stuck bolt off with my DeWalt 18v.

I just use two box end wrenches and lock them together for fulcrum, then grasp my fingers along the blade to pull the wrenches.

Stick a block of wood in the discharge to block the blade from moving.

Could be a left hand thread.

I have used an impact wrench to remove "stuck" nuts and bolts.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Internet threads state right hand conventional threads on Toro. Likely experiencing corrosion. I believe penetrating oil and an impact driver would work.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5200 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I think we may have found Olaf The Swede, the huge red haired fellow who tightened the oil drain fitting on my Volvos decades ago. His role was to make sure you didn't attempt foolish, non-revenue stunts like changing your own oil.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
My methods would be, penetrating oil, 'PB Blaster', a tight fitting wrench, then some 'leverage'. That leverage could be a length of pipe on a 'breaker bar'.

A tight fitting socket or whatever gets the best bite in the nut. As posted, be sure you're wrenching the correct way. Something will give, hopefully you don't just strip the edge of the nut.

Posts: 6386 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
My methods would be, penetrating oil, 'PB Blaster', a tight fitting wrench, then some 'leverage'. That leverage could be a length of pipe on a 'breaker bar'.

A tight fitting socket or whatever gets the best bite in the nut. As posted, be sure you're wrenching the correct way. Something will give, hopefully you don't just strip the edge of the nut.

That is likely to shear it. Try and use a impact gun instead. The breaker puts forces downward/upward instead of just rotational.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Some of us don't own an 'impact gun'. Just saying.

O.K., maybe I need one, already have a good compressor.

Posts: 6386 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
An impact wrench will zip it off in less than a second. Every man should own a compressor and good impact wrench, FYI.

Posts: 6705 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Take the spark plug wire or wires off. Turn the wrench in the same direction the blade turns to cut grass. If the blade turns clockwise, turn the wrench clockwise, and vise versa. Works regardless of the threadedness of the bolts. Short six-point socket long breaker bar with a pipe over the handle. The handle from my car jack works for this.

Don't hit stumps, rocks, pipes, etc. It tightens the blade bolts if you do.

Posts: 11610 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
It's a Toro, standard threads.

I changed lawnmower blades monthly at the Raptor Center. M destroyed blades faster than you could replace them.

Every last time they would be thoroughly stuck in place. I'd just give the bolt a whack on the head, then use two wrenches linked together, block the discharge with a 2x4 and pull like hell.

My little electric rattle wrench buzzes them off like it's nothing.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Some of us don't own an 'impact gun'. Just saying.

quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
An impact wrench will zip it off in less than a second. Every man should own a compressor and good impact wrench, FYI.

Occasional use, "homeowner grade" air tools aren't that expensive if you already have a compressor capable of running them, and if you shop around, even better brands like Ingersoll-Rand and Aircat (one I've been using a lot of) still aren't bad. Or, with the new lithium-ion battery powered tools, you don't even need a compressor.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I finally got it with the heat. They were conventional threads. The mower is only six months old so there was no corrosion although I did scored it was some penetrating oil last night. I think it was just over tightened, I bought it from an Amish dealer and I think they used a little too much muscle.

silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

I do have a 25 gallon compressor, may have to invest in a good impact wrench as well.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Any object that rotates at high speed will, or has the potential to, "self-tighten" the nut or bolt that holds it. Try and loosen a Honda crankshaft pulley bolt, or a screwed-on fan clutch some time. Razz It's better than having it come loose at high speed.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
You're a gun owner and you don't have Kroil?

You can make weasel pee with 50/50 ATF and Acetone.
(damned good Kroil Klone)

Some of the best penetrating oil ever.

Pretty sure the Jews used it to move the big stones across dry sand to build the pyramids.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44458 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by birddog1:
I finally got it with the heat. They were conventional threads. The mower is only six months old so there was no corrosion although I did scored it was some penetrating oil last night. I think it was just over tightened, I bought it from an Amish dealer and I think they used a little too much muscle.

Excellent.

By the way, As mentioned PB Blaster is good stuff.

CW

Posts: 3208 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post