SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    True Class Act: Chuck Norris
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
True Class Act: Chuck Norris Login/Join 
posted
Ever notice how every time a celebrity does something "thoughtful" they have their PR team make sure its front page of every news outlet? Well not Mr Norris... the only way we know about it is because this guy's friends/family leaked it out. I always roll my eyes when someone claims their role model is some athlete or celebrity... However Chuck Norris is an exception, which is exactly why we hardly hear about him in the news.

http://www.deseretnews.com/art...sed-with-cancer.html

quote:
SANDY — As afternoon was edging toward evening a week and half ago, a black SUV pulled into the driveway at the home Judy Parry shares with her son Mark.

Walker, Texas Ranger, got out.

Yeah, that Walker, Texas Ranger.

He rapped on the door, just like in the TV show, crouched and ready for whatever was on the other side of the door.

Mark opened it.

And Chuck Norris gave him a big hug.

• • •

Mark Parry wasn’t dealt an easy hand in life. He was born 33 years ago with Down syndrome. Two years ago his dad, Rick, died of cancer. Two months ago Mark was diagnosed with gastrointestinal cancer. It’s at stage four. He has two to six months to live.

Mark’s approach to life has always been doing what you can instead of what you can’t. With six brothers and three sisters, 38 nieces and nephews and a mom who has been his permanent offensive line since the day he was born, he’s had great support at home. When he was 22 he signed on for a service mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They assigned him to work in the kitchen at the cafeteria in the Church Office Building. Every day, he’d catch the bus from his home in Sandy, ride to downtown Salt Lake, do his shift, and ride home.

That worked out so well, when his mission was over, the people who ran the cafeteria begged Mark to stay. He said yes. For the last decade he’s not only been an indispensable employee, he’s made more friends than he can count.

Something else Mark grabbed onto that enhanced his life was Chuck Norris, the movie actor, martial arts guru, and, not least, star of the hit TV show, “Walker, Texas Ranger.”

Years ago, Mark saw Chuck Norris on television and it was obsession at first sight. He bought the Total Gym, the workout machine Chuck Norris sponsors. He enrolled in karate, earning his black belt. He watched every episode of every season of “Walker, Texas Ranger.” Then he got Judy and Rick to buy the DVDs so he could watch them again and again.

He wore a cowboy hat, Chuck Norris style. Every day at the cafeteria he showed up with it on. Sometimes at break he’d entertain everyone with a karate demonstration.

So that’s Mark, and you can imagine the reaction when his co-workers found out about his cancer. They felt like a truck had fallen on them.

They couldn’t do anything about the cancer, but they could do something about Mark. One of his supervisors, who prefers to remain anonymous, had the brainstorm of seeing if Chuck Norris might ever be passing through Salt Lake City.

Their people contacted his people in Los Angeles.

It turned out he was coming to Utah to do some promotional work with Maverik.

When Chuck Norris and his wife, Gena, flew into the Salt Lake Airport they had Mark’s address with them. The first thing they did when they got in the black SUV waiting for them at the curb was aim straight for Sandy.

They called Judy on the way, asked if it would be OK if they dropped by, and said they’d be there in a half-hour.

When the doorbell rang, Judy let Mark answer.

“I am still amazed they would come and do that,” says Judy a week and a half later. “They could not have been nicer. Chuck Norris was as kind a person as I’ve ever met.”

Chuck Norris signed every one of Mark’s DVDs. He walked with him downstairs to his bedroom to see the “Walker, Texas Ranger” gear on the walls. In the family room he got down on the Total Gym bench and did some exercises.

“It was just like a friend down the street who came to visit,” says Judy.

“You hear a lot about celebrities and how difficult they are. You don’t get to see the other side. I thought they might have their PR people with them, taking pictures and following them around. But they wanted no publicity, no photos, no attention. They didn’t want anything; just to make a boy’s dream come true.”

Posts: 432 | Location: Utah | Registered: March 01, 2013Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Great story!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing. God Bless Mark, Mr. Norris, and US ALL !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3067 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Report This Post
Duke of Detroit
posted Hide Post
I always heard Chuck Norris was a great guy. After a rough day, It's nice to read something positive. Wink

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas

Posts: 1047 | Location: Detroit, MICHIGAN | Registered: May 10, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
What a great story! Thanks for posting this!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
His tears may not cure cancer but his spirit heals

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool, class act

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Report This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I saw this and I am grateful to Chuck Norris and his wife for taking the time to be kind. That speaks volumes about who they are.

Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Read this story today. Good for Chuck - what a classy move.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Report This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
Chuck is the man. Doing something wonderful for a fan in time of need. I am impressed with Mr Norris.

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5295 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Report This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chuck. What a very, very nice thing to do.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19157 | Registered: September 21, 2005Report This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
I'm praying for Mark and his family. Thanks for sharing his story and thanks Chuck for being a good guy.

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
That was a terrific story. Thanks for posting it. God Bless every single person mentioned in this story. They are all the kind of people we should all strive to be.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
God bless Chuck Norris!

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Report This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing that story!

May God bless them all.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Report This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Great story.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19641 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Report This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yep, now, that's a real class act. Cool

Q

Posts: 26335 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Chuck Norris is a truly great man. Not for his success in movies and on TV.

For his humanitarian deeds, done mostly with no fanfare or media.

God bless him, and God bless the young man suffering from cancer.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25641 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
There are plenty of GREAT people in this world and I consider him one of them.

Thank you for posting that. Maybe there is hope for humanity Smile

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Report This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Thank you for this. There is more good in the world than we know. Has been hard in recent years to see this, but it true. Life is good, no matter what.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Report This Post