SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    World's skinniest skyscraper
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

World's skinniest skyscraper Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
NYC has been dying for decades. There has been some resurgence around the innermost outlying areas, but NYC is going to transition from the financial center of the world, to a luxury city.

Charleston SC was always a luxury town, but was a major trading port at one time.

NYC’s transition will be a bit rougher, as living standards will have to improve, to survive as a luxury place.

Posts: 5739 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mikus36
posted Hide Post
Taking the stairs ?

"It's a Bill of Rights - Not a Bill of Needs"
The World is a combustible Place

Posts: 353 | Location: Washington | Registered: April 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That building, like many tall and skinny buildings, has movable damping weights in it at various places to prevent it from swaying too much. A building can, apparently, take a lot more swaying that the people in it will be comfortable with.

Architects try to minimize the weights (which are huge), because they take up valuable rentable space. But at some amount of swaying, people are bothered by it too much.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just build some shorter thin buildings on either side and make it look like a giant middle finger.

Posts: 4725 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
That structure goes against all logic. How the hell does it stand up? The shear stress at the base must be astronomical.

Do you think it's defying the laws of physics and the principles of structural engineering design?

I'm sure the design was engineered to death before the a single bolt was placed. It just looks like it would tip over if everyone in it got to one side and danced the Twist. A spectacular view from the high floors, but I'd be worried whenever a big thunder storm was predicted.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
On the way down in a cloud of grinding, burning debris I’d probably have to admit the ill wisdom of being in that building.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
It looks like they got it halfway built and realized they didn't have enough material to finish it, so they decided to just make the upper floors skinnier.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I’d love to see the structural design specs on that.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
They probably designed it to withstand a 100-year wind. What happens when a 110-year wind comes?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
They probably designed it to withstand a 100-year wind. What happens when a 110-year wind comes?

flashguy

In the Electronic Engineering World, if we designed something to withstand something like perhaps heat or overvoltage or something else, we did it with a safety factor of 2.

In other words, we'd design for a 100 mph wind with a safety factor of 2, therefore a 200 mph wind.

I have no idea what the construction world does though.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:
That structure goes against all logic. How the hell does it stand up? The shear stress at the base must be astronomical.

Do you think it's defying the laws of physics and the principles of structural engineering design?

I'm sure the design was engineered to death before the a single bolt was placed. It just looks like it would tip over if everyone in it got to one side and danced the Twist. A spectacular view from the high floors, but I'd be worried whenever a big thunder storm was predicted.

You’d think so, but there’s a building in San Francisco that could have used a little more engineering. A modern Tower of Pizza

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8219 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
You’d think so, but there’s a building in San Francisco that could have used a little more engineering. A modern Tower of Pizza

Yeah, but you've got to remember that it's San Francisco, where "feels" are more important than facts.

https://www.cnn.com/style/arti...text=San%20Francisco's%20swanky%20Millennium%20Tower,engineer%20tasked%20with%20fixing%20it.

San Francisco's 'leaning' skyscraper tilted at a rate of up to 3 inches last year

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8957 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My aunt worked in the old John Hancock building in Boston while they were building the new skyscraper next to it. Building flexed so much they could not keep the windows from falling out.It too was a new untested shape. She had pieces of the nearly half inch thick glass she took off the ledge outside her office. I believe in Terra firma, the less firma the more Terra!

Posts: 141 | Location: Ma. | Registered: November 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Windwolf:
My aunt worked in the old John Hancock building in Boston <snip>

The John Hancock building in Chicago had the falling panes. They weighed a LOT!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8957 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:

flashguy

In the Electronic Engineering World, if we designed something to withstand something like perhaps heat or overvoltage or something else, we did it with a safety factor of 2.

In other words, we'd design for a 100 mph wind with a safety factor of 2, therefore a 200 mph wind.

I have no idea what the construction world does though.

A couple decades ago, I designed and installed Scaffolding. we used a safety factor of four. A scaffold that was rated at 10lbs per square foot could hold 40 without risk of collapse.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

The NYC the residents of that tower experience is very different than the one we would. S-Class Merc into the private garage, front row concert seats, the finest of the finest restaurants. Hell, most of them probably one spend a few weeks a year there anyway. They have 8 other homes.

Posts: 11388 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post