SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    World's skinniest skyscraper
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

World's skinniest skyscraper Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
You couldn’t get me in there!

“The world's skinniest skyscraper is ready to throw open its doors to customers with fat wallets after squeezing itself into the ever-spiking New York City skyline.

The 84-story Steinway Tower, or 111 West 57th Street, sits on Billionaires' Row in midtown Manhattan at approximately 1,428 feet tall - but just 57 feet wide.

The luxury building has a height-to-width ratio of 24:1, developers confirmed to CNN Style, making it both the 'most slender skyscraper in the world' and one of the tallest buildings in the Western Hemisphere…”

https://mol.im/a/10696271

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8957 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
$7.75 million for a studio!

That penthouse is amazing.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Quite the amazing and beautiful place. Pretty crazy to think a lifetimes salary wouldn’t fetch me the penthouse.

I would happily inhabit the penthouse if I was able to.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Now way that can be safe in a high wind. Not this kid! (I don't have the money, or the desire to live in NYC, anyway.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope. I have spent several nights on the 54th floor of a hotel, and ate (one time) at a restaurant that was on the 73rd floor.
Not again.

PC

Posts: 1340 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Looking at this from another angle, can you think of a worse time to be opening up this building?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That thing makes me queasy just to look at it. I have no desire to stand near it, much less live in it. Thankfully at my income level, that won't ever be a concern Big Grin!

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Looking at this from another angle, can you think of a worse time to be opening up this building?

Why would it be a bad time?

There would be no shortage of people who can afford it; and the people in that wealth bracket aren't affected by the "economy".

There must be another angle I'm missing?

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

Why would it be a bad time?

There would be no shortage of people who can afford it; and the people in that wealth bracket aren't affected by the "economy".

There must be another angle I'm missing?
Why would anybody, regardless their income level, buy into a city that's suffering death throws right now? The NYC economy sucks, buildings across the city are showing huge vacancy rates, businesses are struggling and many employees are working from home rather than in the city, and crime is rampant. So what would be the big draw to live downtown right now?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Sticks out like a sore thumb next to the park like that.

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I'm curious about the elevator situation. What volume of the interior space is taken up by elevator shafts?

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15484 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Quite the amazing and beautiful place. Pretty crazy to think a lifetimes salary wouldn’t fetch me the penthouse.
<snip>

I’d bet that the monthly HOA fees are eye-watering too.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8957 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
YGBFKM. Every time you turn around, you have to turn around. And how do you keep that bastard balanced, anyway?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m an outlier. Every time I’ve been to NYC I couldn’t leave soon enough.

Big deal is correct as well. NYC is suffering through some big painful shifts. There was a time anyone would kill to live there. Same for places like San Francisco. Now there is a strong argument to sit on the sidelines and see how the general dynamics work out.

Big city life post covid isn’t the big draw it used to be.

Posts: 7498 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Where are the guy wires?

Posts: 6475 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
Penthouse: immediate thought: pole-sitting. Roll Eyes

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2275 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thats been the trend the last 20-years, super-slim spires. 432 Park luxury tower was getting all the press/photography love for awhile, looks like this things will steal some of that attention. Roll Eyes

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
Years ago I was in the rotating rooftop Hyatt Embarcadero restaurant in San Francisco. And even though I was accustomed to earthquake temblors, the sway of the building while at the top gave you the feeling it was going over.

No thanks, I’m fine closer to earth.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
That structure goes against all logic. How the hell does it stand up? The shear stress at the base must be astronomical.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
That structure goes against all logic. How the hell does it stand up? The shear stress at the base must be astronomical.

Do you think it's defying the laws of physics and the principles of structural engineering design?

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post