SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody Know if There is Progress Against the Robo/Spam Callers?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody Know if There is Progress Against the Robo/Spam Callers? Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
G-damn if I don't receive about four to six calls - per day!

Been noting the calls on the FTC's site (last two weeks have the same robo call for medical carp) and just wondering if anyone here is in the knw about if the goobermint is making any sort of progress?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
7 so far today. I'm disgusted and pissed.

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their armpits and crotch.

Posts: 11995 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
I finally got tired of it and purchased Robokiller. I get 3-4 a week now that the app doesn’t catch before it rings through. It stops the ring and blocks it immediately.

This is down from 75-80 a week. I was about to change my number before buying it.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
We just bought a new phone which features call blocking. A blocked call rings once.

If a call comes in on a number you haven’t previously blocked, you answer, and if you wish press a few buttons to add to the blocked list.

I enjoy hearing the phone ring once. Hahahah!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Wait until you hit 65, everybody wants to sign you up for secondary insurance, death benefits you name it.

Posts: 5347 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
We get more robocalls and unwanted sales calls on our company line than we do calls from customers.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15864 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
Lisa from credit card account services calls me several times a week. I think that she likes me.

What makes me even more unhappy, is to get a live caller, who knows my name and wants to get my money for some scam.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7214 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

I had chiggers in my asshole once. I would take the fleas.

I get a couple of those calls each day. If I'm in a good mood I will answer the call silently without saying "hello", and listen to the turd on the other end waste about five seconds of their sorry ass time. The experienced turds take less than five seconds to figure out they've been had.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
If anything it has gotten easier for the robo/spammers. You are on your own in this war.

If you have an iPhone the MrNumber apps is free and works great. I also have an AT&T app 'CallProtect'. Between the 2, I almost never get calls that I don't want.

I NEVER answer the phone if I don't recognize the number, and if the caller doesn't leave a voicemail the number gets blocked. My phone is for my convenience, not anyone else's.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I receive spoofed calls usually on Mondays and Wednesdays. Wednesday, SS check day, coincidence maybe?

I get calls usually from my cell phone exchange number. I think they bank on the idea that you are more likely to answer it that way. Problem is that I don't have anyone that I know with that exchange number so all those get ignored and then blocked. Only about nine thousand more numbers to do now.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8405 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Waffles
Picture of cherokee2u
posted Hide Post
Bamma Jeepster says.....

"I NEVER answer the phone if I don't recognize the number, and if the caller doesn't leave a voicemail the number gets blocked. My phone is for my convenience, not anyone else's."

same for me

A shepherd must tend his flock....and at times fight off the wolves

Posts: 2992 | Location: Carolina | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
I don't know if the government has made any progress, but I have:

Digitone

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have tuned off my cellphone. If someone needs to contact me, they leave a voicemail.

GF gave me a landline phone and Verizon connection for daily use. I get no sales calls on that line.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
I don't know if the government has made any progress, but I have:

Digitone

I should add that I got rid of my landline in 02!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
we have an organization called the NSA - I don't know why with their budget they devote 15 seconds to figuring out where all these people are hiding out so we can do destroy them

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53852 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I'm sure glad I got my AT&T account up to date before it got suspended.

Posts: 28692 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mjohn
posted Hide Post
The problem is that the RoboCalls are from a different number each time even though the messages are always the same.

Posts: 1465 | Location: Sandbox City VA | Registered: September 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here we get calls using local numbers, with local names in the caller ID. In fact I have received calls from myself, that takes talking to yourself to a new level.

If you pick-up one of these calls and say nothing, you will have a very quiet line which times out to a busy signal in 20 seconds.

We just don't answer, friends will leave a message.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are no heads on pikes, so no progress has been made.

Posts: 559 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

I had chiggers in my asshole once. I would take the fleas.

I get a couple of those calls each day. If I'm in a good mood I will answer the call silently without saying "hello", and listen to the turd on the other end waste about five seconds of their sorry ass time. The experienced turds take less than five seconds to figure out they've been had.

Problem with that is so many of the calls are recordings. I do enjoy playing with the guy, who wants to "fix my computer". On a good day, I can string him along for a minute or more before suggesting he get an honest job.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post