SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody Know if There is Progress Against the Robo/Spam Callers?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody Know if There is Progress Against the Robo/Spam Callers? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I’ll ask Jessica if her home security covers cell phones nuisance calls.

God, Guns, and Guts made this country....let's keep all three

Posts: 496 | Location: TX | Registered: March 09, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
So far this week we are up to 21 on my house phone.
One was the robot voice (in very bad English)telling me the Sheriff/IRS is coming to get me and another was my computer has a virus and I will loose all my personal information. I have also won free vacations and a cruise.
I let my answering machine answer the calls I do not recognize. Some leave a message some do not.
So far on my cell phone One robot voice (also in very bad English) telling me the Sheriff/IRS is coming to get me and a lot calls with no message. On my cell phone if I do not recognize the number I do not answer it.
I am in the process of becoming a travel agent and will be getting a second phone number. I do not answer phone numbers I do not recognize on my personal phones.
I have a friend who lost a sizable sum of money to one of thees scammers once.
So much for the do not call list.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2575 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mjohn:
The problem is that the RoboCalls are from a different number each time even though the messages are always the same.

That’s what I’m starting to get on my cellphone, sometimes three or four times a day.

Posts: 12185 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Same here. Google finally updated android so that you can easily block numbers. I just keep blocking them. Now it's down to 1-2 a day when it used to be 5+.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7081 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room
Picture of Rigby470
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

I NEVER answer the phone if I don't recognize the number, and if the caller doesn't leave a voicemail the number gets blocked. My phone is for my convenience, not anyone else's.

This is exactly what I do.

========================

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor
NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #13-943

Posts: 1103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Won't stop. The ability to originate these from overseas via webcalls makes it unreachable by our government.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12442 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
... medical carp)...

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_...089856/xDkB1H9h.jpeg

Big Grin

Posts: 45394 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onegeek:
There are no heads on pikes, so no progress has been made.

^^^^^^^
This!

Posts: 3506 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
quote:
Originally posted by mjohn:
The problem is that the RoboCalls are from a different number each time even though the messages are always the same.

That’s what I’m starting to get on my cellphone, sometimes three or four times a day.

If you have an iPhone, the MrNumber app (free) will help tremendously. It will flag or block any suspicious calls and you can easily block them.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I think most of these calls originate from outside the US, so the FTC is not much help. They have talked about forcing the carriers to do something about it, but nothing finalized yet. .gov moves at a snail's pace, at its best.

Posts: 10793 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
One persistent robo caller WILL leave a recorded message even when blocked. Irritating.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rigby470:
quote:

I NEVER answer the phone if I don't recognize the number, and if the caller doesn't leave a voicemail the number gets blocked. My phone is for my convenience, not anyone else's.

This is exactly what I do.

They get past my call-blocking and still leave a VM. Mad

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14041 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
While we can make jokes about this its a serious threat to our security. Do you know how few calls the cell network can actually handle? These things are filling up the airwaves like a denial of service attack. The Govt needs to get off its ass and nip this, ring the phones off the hook at your representatives offices, if they're not already busy talking to Lisa...

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1237 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

One of the latest scams is voicemail with no phone call. The spammer accesses your voicemail box directly.

You can Google it, or read this page explains how they do it.

Posts: 10793 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
I don't know if the government has made any progress, but I have:

Digitone

I should add that I got rid of my landline in 02!

My mobile service has rudimentary blocking features - it will block a specific number, after a call is received. I'm therefore particular about what I answer on my cell. My landline blocker, however, will block all numbers from a given area code. It will block all incoming "Private," "Out of Area," or "Anonymous" numbers. It will block calls by name. It will block calls with no Caller ID. It will turn off all calls during certain hours except those I code to let through as VIP numbers. It's sad that electronic phone warfare has come to this, but there it is....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
What I want is an app that forwards the call to a number previously identified as a robo/spam caller.

Posts: 1505 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
I'm lucky to even be able to post this response...evidently there are 4 outstanding charges in my name and I could be arrested at any minute Wink

Some robocalls just hang up but the one mentioned above waits and leaves a voicemail (although in poorly worded English).

Our work lines are no better - more junk calls per day than real calls by about 4:1.

Such a huge waste of time. I'm not particularly fond of government intrusion but this is one case in which more action is required. I'm sure tech that provides the ability to electronically spoof phone numbers makes this more of a challenge for regulatory action but it is quickly moving to the top of my pet peeve list.

Michael

Posts: 1104 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Hiya" works fairly well on my Android phone. It also has a caller ID feature that is fairly accurate and comes in handy when deciding whether or not to answer a call.

Posts: 585 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
My landline blocker, however, will block all numbers from a given area code. It will block all incoming "Private," "Out of Area," or "Anonymous" numbers. It will block calls by name. It will block calls with no Caller ID. It will turn off all calls during certain hours except those I code to let through as VIP numbers. It's sad that electronic phone warfare has come to this, but there it is....

I used the Digitone when I had a landline. It is a great multi-featured product. One thing you touched on (blocking an entire area code) is that the device accepts wild cards for number blocking. To block an area code, just block 800-***-****. You can extend that to blocking certain exchanges, such as 928-231-****.