SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    FDA approves world’s most expensive drug: $3.5m per dose
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FDA approves world’s most expensive drug: $3.5m per dose Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
“The US has approved a blood clot therapy that costs $3.5million per dose — making it the most expensive drug in the world.

Hemgenix is a one-off intravenous treatment for hemophilia B, a disorder in which people do not produce a protein needed to create blood clots and control bleeding.

The standard treatment currently involves regular trips to hospital for rounds of IVs that replenish levels of the missing or faulty clotting factor.

But the new therapy delivers a gene that can produce the missing blood-clotting factors into the liver.

In trials it was shown to cut the number of bleeding events expected over the course of a year by over half. It also freed 94 per cent of patients from the need for regular infusions to control the condition. …”

DailyMail article:
https://mol.im/a/11466083

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8912 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
In unrelated news, health insurance premiums in 2023 hit a new high.

Posts: 6438 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Just give hemophiliacs mRNA vaccines and they’ll clot up just fine… sorry, couldn’t resist.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15543 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Is this medicine aimed only for royalty?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19632 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hemgenix is a one-off intravenous treatment

^^^^^^^
What is a one off treatment? Is this a one time treatment?? I will predict no one will pay that price. It is just a marketing move.

Posts: 17216 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Bleeding edge technology is expensive; but I imagine like most technologies it will become cheaper overtime. If we can do gene therapy with a single IV treatment… Game changer.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I'm reminded of what I asked my dad when he complained about the cost of his angioplasty. What's your life worth to you?

Posts: 20054 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
In unrelated news, health insurance premiums in 2023 hit a new high.

2K more a year for us Mad

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1375 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
2K more a year for us

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Mine is much more. Consider yourself lucky.

Posts: 17216 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I bet it's a factor of how much it costs to develop, get approved (can be a multiple ten figure expense), and produce. vs how many doses will likely be sold.

On a societal level, do we have to say we may be able to develop technologies that can save people, but it's just too expensive to do so?

quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The government has been know to subsidize some of the cost. I would also like to see the research on this particular drug.
Big Pharma plays pricing games with our medicines. A recent medication presribed for me was 830 dollars for thirty days. This is the generic med that has been on the market since 1998. I think we all would agree this sort of thing is ridiculous.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I'm reminded of what I asked my dad when he complained about the cost of his angioplasty. What's your life worth to you?

My Father In Law's angioplasty was around $250K

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Not the worst deal if it’s a cure. Doesn’t sound like that’s established. FWIW enzyme replacement therapies cost like $300K per year.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12420 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

My Father In Law's angioplasty was around $250K

So far, mine is up to $170k. Sounds like I got a deal

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
My X3 CABG in ‘98 was somewhere north of 140k. Two hospitals, bus ride, six day stay.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8094 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I bet it's a factor of how much it costs to develop, get approved (can be a multiple ten figure expense), and produce. vs how many doses will likely be sold.

On a societal level, do we have to say we may be able to develop technologies that can save people, but it's just too expensive to do so?

quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

I'm going to bet you're wrong. My work was in pharmaceutical and medical device companies. Cost is way down the list of what drives pricing. Before a company even undertakes development of a drug or medical device, they determine the size of the market, their projected market share, and what price people will be willing to pay for what features. The market size, market share, and price point gives them their expected annual sales.

From the annual sales figure and sales per unit, they back out their target margin and indirect costs such as sales, marketing, factory overhead, etc. Then the question is can they make the product equal to or less than the remaining amount. If yes, then they go through other analyses such as break even points.

If it passes the criteria, then it competes with all the other proposals for funding and resource allocation. That's before anyone does any actual work towards development and manufacturing. This is stage 0 for any product in the companies I've worked for.

My quip about royalty is because the treatment is for some form of hemophilia and that disease is associated with European royalty.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19632 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orthogonal
posted Hide Post
Not to dispute the hereditary aspect of haemophilia as that is an indisputable fact, but I worked at fairly high level in conducting a significant number clinical trials (decades ago) of the spectrum of therapeutic blood and plasma fractions, some of which were and still are used to treat the terrible affliction of haemophilia. Additionally, I had a major role in the submission of newly developed and continuously improved special purpose fractions and technologies.

I left that business a year or two before the HIV struck the world's supply of of pooled plasma derived blood fractions used to treat haemophiliacs. Many hundreds of them innocently died in France alone from that contamination(circa 1981-82, IIRC). Subsequently adequate tests for the HIV were deployed and each unit of plasma became well tested for HIV before being 'pooled' with many thousands of other pints. Along the way many hundreds of thousands of litres of pooled plasma were dumped(vats full) due to contamination from a single contaminated contributed pint unit.

My employer of that decade, a huge international pharmaceutical corporation, employed many of the top scientists in the world working in this field. Amongst them I had the good fortune to work closely with one of the world's finest haematologists and I(not being a physician) once made a casual similar 'hereditary' remark while in his company only to be corrected. His comment was that a large fraction of haemophilia cases occur quite spontaneously with no evident hereditary linkage whatsoever. I do not have those numbers available however.

Posts: 519 | Registered: May 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post