SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Floor jack and stands for my truck and cars - GtG?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Floor jack and stands for my truck and cars - GtG? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm having a hard time finding jack and stands that will accommodate the weight and height I need. My rear axle tube is about 15" above ground; I'm hearing I need to lift that about 8-10" to get the wheels off the ground. Sound about right?

Which means I need stands that support about 25" - I'm not finding any..... With how common big trucks and SUVs are, this should be easy to find, right?

I agree that 3T stands should be sufficient for my truck. If American made with American values testing for quality. I'm not comfortable 100% headroom for products made in China where safety and quality are not values - just do whatever is enough to sell some units (then close shop and sell the same thing under a different name). If they are to be believed, I've seen pics of failures - bent stand, failed welds, broken metal, etc - failures that shouldn't occur.

So, I usually look for the next class or two higher (ie - 3T sufficient, I look for 4T or 6T).

I really hate that products like this are made in China.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Can't you use a 4-5" wood block to jack it up and then scoot the jack stands underneath.

quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I'm having a hard time finding jack and stands that will accommodate the weight and height I need. My rear axle tube is about 15" above ground; I'm hearing I need to lift that about 8-10" to get the wheels off the ground. Sound about right?

Which means I need stands that support about 25" - I'm not finding any..... With how common big trucks and SUVs are, this should be easy to find, right?

I agree that 3T stands should be sufficient for my truck. If American made with American values testing for quality. I'm not comfortable 100% headroom for products made in China where safety and quality are not values - just do whatever is enough to sell some units (then close shop and sell the same thing under a different name). If they are to be believed, I've seen pics of failures - bent stand, failed welds, broken metal, etc - failures that shouldn't occur.

So, I usually look for the next class or two higher (ie - 3T sufficient, I look for 4T or 6T).

I really hate that products like this are made in China.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4337 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I own the stands. They are rather excellent.

as others have said, ratings are for the pair.

I have HW 2 ton floor jack. Also an exceptional product.

No experience with the arcan.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post