SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My kids were in a tornado today...huge pucker factor
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My kids were in a tornado today...huge pucker factor Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
I was at work, dealing with the nasty storms in NC today and my phone rang. Not a number that was programmed in it. I answered and couldn't hear who was trying to talk. Finally realized it was my 9 year old. Over an hour north from where I was working.

They were huddled up in the basement of their grandmother's home, while a tornado raged overhead. My son said that he could hear the freight train sound, his grandmother told me they were covered up and in the basement.

The tornado jumped over their house, causing minimal damage. It completely destroyed a house 4 down from it, injuring the residents and killing their 2 dogs, and several other homes were severely damaged, at least 5 in the area with people trapped inside.

Their elementary school was about 3 miles away and it was severely damaged. The gym was nearly destroyed, cars flipped over, etc.

Shitty feeling...but I knew that they would most likely be safe in that basement. Thankfully my ex-wife was able to get there quickly. I listened to the fire/rescue channel on a scanner app (I used to be fire/rescue/medic in that county) and it was insane.

Kids are ok...my 6 yo daughter was very shaken up emotionally though. School is cancelled, so we will get them tomorrow night and talk about everything. Honestly, they were in the safest possible place of all our houses to pick for a tornado.

I know some of you guys deal with these frequently, but this is not a common thing around here. I have dealt with a few tornadoes, narrowly dodged a really bad one a decade ago, and have done rescue work after some, but I've never personally been through any.

Video of the actual tornado:

http://www.wjcl.com/article/incredible-tornado-footage-out-of-north-carolina-1495669230/9926533
Area damage:

http://www.wxii12.com/article/severe-weather-moves-through-triad/9924987

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Glad your family is alright. When I was your daughter's age I lived in Iowa and was terrified of tornadoes (tornados?). Having two boys the same age as your kid my heart goes out to you! You and they are in my prayers (and all those affected)!!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1959 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
holy shit man..
glad everyone came through ok

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1545 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Good thoughts for you and yours.

When I moved south the weather freaked me right the hell out and still does. Where I grew up weather meant you dressed differently not that I needed to bunker up.

When I had my daughter my storm pucker factor went through the roof.

I am glad you and yours are safe and sound.

As an aside I don't know how you guys belt up and go on duty in this shit. Forget the day to day, forget the dirtbags, hell even the bad dudes at least you can shoot back. It's going out and helping the public in stuff like this that boggles my mind. Thanks for that.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7691 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Glad everyone is okay.

Closest I've been to a tornado was several miles away. And it was one of the lower graded ones just tearing up a field. That was quite enough thank you. Been in earthquakes (Loma Prieta) and hurricanes too. All are scary as hell if you're in their bullseye.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16252 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Glad everyone is okay.

Closest I've been to a tornado was several miles away. And it was one of the lower graded ones just tearing up a field. That was quite enough thank you. Been in earthquakes (Loma Prieta) and hurricanes too. All are scary as hell if you're in their bullseye.

I've been in many hurricanes. Couple of Cat 4s. I'll take them any day over a tornado (though they can spawn their own).

In 2006 late one November night I was doing an emergency ambulance transport for a very sick kid from a hospital at the beach to the hospital at ECU in Greenville, NC. A 3ish hour trip on a good day. It was a rare situation, unique even; the kid should have been flown, but the weather was bad, and he needed to be there ASAP. I drove because I had more experience behind the wheel than my partner. We had volunteered because the storms were so bad and they didn't want to force anyone into it.

We drove through what to this day was unquestionably the worst storm I've ever gone through, in a freaking ambulance, three times because of the way our route went and the way the storm was blowing. I honestly did not think we were going to make it.

When we got to the other hospital we found out that the storms had spawned tornadoes, destroying a community near the area we initially left, killing 8. That was the closest I personally came.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Look on the bright side, maybe the graduation will be cancelled

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Glad they are ok.

Talk to them.

Prayers sent for the community and those that lost their homes.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I know the feeling. We just bought a new house and it had to have a basement after past experiences. We had one pass over our home and touchdown a few blocks away. Our emergency alerts on our iPhones went off twice within a few minutes and I was watching and listening to our local ham repeater. We had been in the basement a minute or two before it passed over. My parents we in one 6 or so years ago and my brother and I drove into the middle of one in Adairsville GA just as it crossed I-75. I'm glad your young ones are ok. It's a pretty helpless feeling.

Posts: 6018 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thankfully the children are not hurt and are safe!

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Glad everyone is ok. Growing up in tornado country, I remember kids, not able to know any better, only getting really scared when they could sense that the adults were scared. That's likely what you will find when you talk to them.

You likely experienced more trauma than them, a parent listening helplessly from a distance.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
Glad everyone is ok. Growing up in tornado country, I remember kids, not able to know any better, only getting really scared when they could sense that the adults were scared. That's likely what you will find when you talk to them.

You likely experienced more trauma than them, a parent listening helplessly from a distance.

While they were in the best structure in the family for a tornado, they were with the least emotionally prepared person when it comes to an emergency...so you're exactly right. My 6yo got so terrified she had an 'accident' during it. Breaks my heart.

-JALLEN

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Glad everyone is safe. I grew up in Wisconsin and saw the devastation tornados can cause.

Be safe.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4238 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been in many hurricanes. Couple of Cat 4s. I'll take them any day over a tornado

Well said.

A hurricane is a known entity. You can see the cloud formation at sea, from an aerial photo, get radar verification of wind speeds, probable tracks, etc. You know days before that it's coming, where it will likely make land-fall, and how bad the wind, surge, and swell will be.

A tornado can appear as a typical thunderstorm an then suddenly convert itself into a finger of destruction that can hop around here and there, disappear and then reappear, and just randomly break shit and kill people.

Glad your loved ones are okay.

Posts: 10760 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
TOO SCARY! Glad your family is OK.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5293 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

... My 6yo got so terrified she had an 'accident' during it. Breaks my heart.

Not being flippant at all: tell her she's the only one around man enough to admit it, because she's guaranteed not the only one to do it.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2072 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
holy shit man..
glad everyone came through ok

Yes!

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Glad they are safe. I was at a work function in south Charlotte and all we saw was some rain.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7081 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Very happy your kids (family) came through this without issues. On another positive note, I bet they'll love telling that story over and over again to friends and family. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
All's well that ends well. Glad that no one was hurt.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post