SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quality dress shoes?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quality dress shoes? Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Allen Edmonds for traditionally constructed shoes in traditional styles.

Alden also makes very nice, very traditional shoes. They are more expensive than AE.

Both are expensive, but can be rebuilt two or three times, and will last 20 years with a moderate amount of care.

Johnston & Murphy no longer makes a top quality shoe. They used to, but no more.

Ecco makes a good shoe with more modern construction methods - rubber soles, lighter weight, etc. To my eyes, they don't look right with suits, but are a good option for a more casual shoe. They won't last 20 years.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I actually like dress shoes that wear well and are comfortable. I like Eccos. Best sole on any dress shoe I have ever worn.

Another vote for Ecco from me. Very comfortable shoes that can be resoled by NuShoe.

Ecco...never heard of them until years ago when my friend, who is a Podiatrist, suggested them. I really like them. Agree on the suit comment though...depends on your needs.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I like Kenneth Cole shoes.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8358 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
For me, Ecco or Santoni, depending on how dressy I need to be.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12724 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AE especially on sale or through shoe bank. I don't have the scratch for Alden and don't wear fancy shoes often enough. Kenneth Cole can die in a fire.

Posts: 4280 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Johnson Murphy and Cole Haan for me. I have owned both brands for decades, and still have both in my closet.

Posts: 6624 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Hey Rogue:

If you are in Eastern PA, AllenEdmunds has a store in the KOP Mall. Browse to find which last and styles....the order off the outlet website

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4580 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Go to stores and try on the shoes. If they don't feel good then they are no good for you regardless of brand and price.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
I just bought some Clark’s I like. I have had numerous pairs of Geox that alway impress me with their durability. Have had good experience with Ecco also. Very similar to Geox.

Honestly my absolute favorite are Salvatore Ferragamo. So nice. And with proper care and a good cobbler to resole I have had a few pairs for like 10 years. That being said we are talking 400$+ but nothing compares to their quality and style.

Something like this if you can find them on sale is IMHO the pinnacle of men’s footwear to date. 3x the price but will last 3x as long and never go out of style.

https://m.shop.nordstrom.com/s...riceLowToHigh&page=5

https://m.shop.nordstrom.com/s...s_page_type=category

https://m.shop.nordstrom.com/s...riceLowToHigh&page=6

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I'll echo...um ECCO, they are well made and comfortable but they are not my go-to dress shoes. My absolute favorite are a pair of brown "To Boot New York" oxfords. They are the Alfa Romeo of dress shoes, terribly cantankerous but I love them and wear them when I throw a suit on. And to further piss off the traditional group here, I wear them with blue and gray suits. Big Grin

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9693 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Allen Edmonds that are about 20 yrs old they still look almost new. After they broke in the pair are some of the most comfortable shoes I own

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6227 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in dress shoes all the time. I have over 12 pairs of AEs. Various styles and colors. Never had to throw any away. I just take them to Wisconsin for refresh.

They are worth the price of admission.

Stop by Nordstroms for fitting. And don't forgot to check Nordstrom rack.

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I absolutely love my Allen Edmonds Badlands. They are extremely comfortable. They run slightly larger than my Park Avenues which are my suit shoe.

Posts: 17891 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Hey Rogue:

If you are in Eastern PA, AllenEdmunds has a store in the KOP Mall. Browse to find which last and styles....the order off the outlet website

Church also had/has a store there in KOP mall. Twice a year sale discounts shoes.

I miss the King Of Prussia mall. The weather in SE Pa, hell NO.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of logrusmaster
posted Hide Post
Allen Edmonds.

I just got my first pair and I love them I wouldn't give them up. I have a brown pair now, and will be getting a black pair next.

-------------------------
If not me then who? If not now then when?

Posts: 618 | Location: Earth | Registered: August 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alden

Posts: 97 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I've got 3 pair of AE to fit the occassion, mostly thanks to the sigforum's advice. All are very solid, all look very nice. I'd buy all again, if you gave me the money.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I actually like dress shoes that wear well and are comfortable. I like Eccos. Best sole on any dress shoe I have ever worn.

Another vote for Ecco from me. Very comfortable shoes that can be resoled by NuShoe.

Ecco’s for sure. Incredibly comfortable. Spendy, but worth it.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Allen Edmonds. They have sales quite often with 125 off sales. Wait for one of those and don’t look back.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a pair of black Nunnbush shoes that was the most comfortable things ever . I don't wear a suit very often and my wife has strict instructions to bury me in a pair of jeans . Anyway , I lost the shoes when my our home flooded last year and I will try to find another pair like them . I think I got them at JC Penney .

Posts: 4060 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post