SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Springfield, Illinois L.E.O. shoots the lady that called 911.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield, Illinois L.E.O. shoots the lady that called 911. Login/Join 
posted
She was coming right at him with hot pan of water.
https://abc7chicago.com/post/s...-involving/15082162/

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55141 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Well, the sheriff's deputy has been charged worh first degree murder, and frankly, that seems appropriate.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30862 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
At the end of the "report".

Male news guy with the yellow tie:
"What a story that video does tell, at least at first blush."

Female news gal in pink shirt:
"It does, certainly."

Female news gal in green dress:
"A very disturbing video, thank you so much."

What the hell does any of that even mean?

And three counts of first degree murder? One for each her multiple personalities?

The video I saw, told a story of a crazy woman, sputtering some nonsense and heading to the cop with a pan of boiling water.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44405 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Doesn't water need to be on the stove to boil?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19674 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Ya unfortunately crazy people call 911, not uncommon for a call to the police to turn into a check the well being on the caller, even as determined by dispatch. Watching the video and looking at the house, chick looks crazy and she does say she’s going to rebuke the deputy in the name of Jesus. The shooting, was it premature? Hard to say, since we couldn’t see once the deputy who shot was in the way of the only body cam rolling. I don’t find it suspect that the other dep wasn’t rolling, possibly forgot, maybe he’s been there for plenty of priors and has dealt with her and thought he’d go in talk to her and clear the call quick (possibly complacency). It’s really impossible to tell cuz we never get all the details, and I know you’re supposed to look at each individual event as a single moment, but there are plenty of times law enforcement has prior calls and maybe a rapport with a subject, or at least a general understanding of how they are, that we will never hear of in the media

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, was just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2537 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Doesn't water need to be on the stove to boil?

It was on the stove when she let the SDs in. (Starting at the 12:30 mark of video below), you can see the pot is on the stove and the burner is on high.
She walked to the pot, picked it up with potholders, headed to the sink, then she asked the SDs "Why you moving? Where you going?" as one (SD2) with camera stepped back from where he was near the kitchen area and said: "Huh?, Away from your hot steaming water." (sound of him drawing from holster)
Lady: "My hot steaming water?"
SD2 "Yeah".
Lady: "Oh... I rebuke you in the name of Jesus. I rebuke you in the name of Jesus."
SD1: "You better not, I'll shoot you in yer fucking face. (draws from holster)

She ducks down....

Threat of being hit with boiling water to the head would satisfy my understanding of "(intent of)great bodily harm" should I be in that situation or on a jury and instructed as to the meaning of the law.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44405 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I am not onboard with how that ended. Seemed way over the top by the police. A tragic outcome for all.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19674 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Another viewpoint from a legal perspective:

Link to video

Bad cop probably will be stripped of qualified immunity by the federal DOJ.

Posts: 11964 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Admittedly I haven’t studied every detail. At 1st blush it looks rather bad for the deputy.

I understand a crazy person could easily call 911. They did show broken car windows, don’t know if that was the prowler’s doing.

Was the lady ever wound up to throw the water? There was some distance between them, alternatives? Did both fire or only the one?

How long has the deputy been in LE? Once they were done looking, was there any reason to go inside her house? She seemed to be content when they were about to say goodbye on the porch.

Posts: 6377 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I don't know the effective lethal range of some hot water, but isn't this an instance where simply backing out of the space and reassessing might have been a viable option? Before the shootout/splashout begins?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12641 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems like four other cops might have handled it two or three other ways.

It's a spin of the giant wheel of chance for the officers responding as to how the call will end based on the complaintant .

And it's a giant spin of the wheel of chance for the caller as to who might show up to "Help".

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55141 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, the sheriff's deputy has been charged worh first degree murder, and frankly, that seems appropriate.

Agreed.

quote:
The video I saw, told a story of a crazy woman, sputtering some nonsense and heading to the cop with a pan of boiling water.

I wonder if his legs suddenly stop working that he couldn't retreat?

quote:
I am not onboard with how that ended. Seemed way over the top by the police. A tragic outcome for all.

I concur.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4572 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m wondering if the deputy understood what the woman said to him. His reply to her was You’d better not or I’ll shoot you in the face. That seems an odd reply to someone who just told you that they disapprove of you based on their religious beliefs. The deputies reply seems to indicate that he thought she was going to do something to him. In my eyes it doesn’t justify shooting. Stepping back certainly appears to have been an option.

Posts: 1150 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

Curious about this statement. Could you explain what qualified immunity is and how it applies specifically in the application of criminal charges?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37156 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Local news here mentioned he has been in LE for three years and this was his fourth or fifth department he has worked for……seems like an awful lot of job hopping in a short time frame. Makes me wonder why so many changes in departments….I can understand one change for better benefits/pay but not that many!
The video certainly to me looks pretty bad for the officer.

Posts: 3157 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
They invited themselves in. They could have easily backed out.. Instead, this now ex-cop was trigger happy, imo.

Q

Posts: 27447 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:

Curious about this statement. Could you explain what qualified immunity is and how it applies specifically in the application of criminal charges?

...or how the US Department of Justice determines who does or not have qualified immunity.

Posts: 5200 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I don't see how anyone can watch that video and think the cop reacted in a normal manner. Bizarre behavior by the responding officer... he absolutely manufactured a crisis.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
She does throw the boiling water at him before he fires. Not sure if I could convict for murder based on that, but he should find another line of work.

Posts: 11205 | Location: The Magnolia State | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:

...or how the US Department of Justice determines who does or not have qualified immunity.

Hint: It doesn't, and the DOJ doesn't.

Posts: 32992 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post