SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Springfield, Illinois L.E.O. shoots the lady that called 911.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield, Illinois L.E.O. shoots the lady that called 911. Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
She does throw the boiling water at him before he fires. Not sure if I could convict for murder based on that, but he should find another line of work.

Yeah, that was pretty good commentary. Depending on the jury, he may avoid a murder conviction.
But I do think the cop escalated the situation with the "I'll shoot you in the face!" comment and quick to draw on her. He shouldn't be a cop anymore.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24683 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Bad cop probably will be stripped of qualified immunity by the federal DOJ.

Curious about this statement. Could you explain what qualified immunity is and how it applies specifically in the application of criminal charges?

...or how the US Department of Justice determines who does or not have qualified immunity.

Hint: It doesn't, and the DOJ doesn't.

Thank God for 35 years of well-settled Supreme Court precedent.
I'm good on Federal case law, but curious if there's a state-- ANY state-- where LEOs have a responsibility to retreat to avoid using deadly force that'd otherwise square with Garner? I'll wait patiently for that, too.

Posts: 2538 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:
Local news here mentioned he has been in LE for three years and this was his fourth or fifth department he has worked for……

SIX departments in four years. Plus two DUIs.

"Since August of 2020, Sean Grayson worked less than one year at the Auburn (Ill.) Police Department, one year at the Logan County (Ill.) Sheriff’s Office, and then just over a year with the Sangamon County Sheriff’s Office, the records obtained by WCIA show. He was also employed with police departments in Virden, Kincaid and Pawnee."

"Grayson was arrested twice for Class A misdemeanor DUIs, once in 2015 and once in 2016."

Complete article:

https://wgntv.com/news/illinoi...deputy-sean-grayson/

Posts: 16030 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Could it be in part about less wanting to go into law enforcement jobs? Regardless a bad apple usually makes it in the mix at times.

Posts: 6435 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
He is screwed. I bet the "I'll shoot you in the face is going to come back to haunt him!!!

Posts: 7884 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched the video, did not see her throwing water in his direction.

-c1steve

Posts: 4121 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Seems like they were satisfied there was no prowler and they should have left the scene at that point.

Posts: 8741 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
SIX departments in four years. Plus two DUIs.

"Since August of 2020, Sean Grayson worked less than one year at the Auburn (Ill.) Police Department, one year at the Logan County (Ill.) Sheriff’s Office, and then just over a year with the Sangamon County Sheriff’s Office, the records obtained by WCIA show. He was also employed with police departments in Virden, Kincaid and Pawnee."

With the exception of Sangamon County, those other agencies are all rural counties with a couple tens of thousands of residents, and little farming villages of one to three thousand residents. Which means their sheriff's/police departments each only have a small handful of officers.

Unfortunately, shitbirds do tend to make the rounds of tiny departments like that.

An officer is not cutting it at one department, so they get voluntold to resign, but what they were doing wrong didn't necessarily rise to the level of being fired or of being stripped of their certification. They then go to another tiny department that is desperate for officers, and the fact that they're already certified is very attractive, as it means that tiny cash-strapped department doesn't have to spend the time and money to put a new guy through the police academy. So they end up hiring them, despite the red flags.

But it doesn't take long to realize why they weren't cutting it at the last department, and the cycle begins again. Rinse and repeat, x5.

Posts: 33151 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FLKev
posted Hide Post
How about pulling your taser instead of your firearm in that situation? He had clear sight of BOTH of her hands, which were holding a pot of water--she had approx 10lbs in her hands. There wasn't going to be a movement that he couldn't evade. This is not something a person should die for.

She was also behind a barrier (the counter) that she could in no way step over or around without him maintaining vision of her and both of her hands. If for some odd reason he felt his life was being threatened then tase her, secure her and the scene and then everything can be sorted from there.

I remember being a kid and "peace" officers would play kickball or basketball with kids for a minute if they came to the park or a school where a bunch of kids were playing. This created respect, a bit of understanding and community togetherness. Those same officers lived in the community and their kids were part of it too.

Policing isn't do what I say or die!

Incidents like this remove the trust from an entire community.

God Bless ALL civil servants, especially those operating as "peace" officers and not executioners like this coward.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FLKev,

"It's gon' be some slow singing -n- flower bringing............ if my burglar alarm starts ringing"

Posts: 632 | Location: GATORLAND | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The cop lacks common sense, reasoning and judgement. As noted earlier he could have backed out. A litle mental health training would be a plus.

Posts: 17578 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
26 years in law enforcement in one of the most violent cities in America leads me to conclude the following:

That deputy absolutely deserves to be charged criminally. The is NO justification for what I observed on the BWC. He literally tells her to check the pot and then immediately goes agro when she does so. It's a pot of hot water. Back up.

Posts: 2666 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
There is a failure of the employment screening process

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4375 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not following this too closely, haven't watched the extended vids, but could that cop have been working for more than one dept at a time? PT employment means needing a second job, usually, and I know when my town had a PD they hired PT from other depts.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9386 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, will a jury only award the family 7.4 million instead of 3.9 million if it's fond that she was mental ?–

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55234 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
A relative was working in a state prison system. There was an inmate, very long sentence, had mental issues, the family ‘disowned’ him, completely cut off.

There came a time when they had to forcibly take him out of the cell, I forgot the exact infraction. It was something along the lines of throwing feces or flooding the cell. It was all filmed.

He ended up dying not long afterwards, underlying health issues. With that the family hired a prominent law firm, and received millions from the State. He was worth much more dead than alive.

Posts: 6435 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
He was worth much more dead than alive.

yep. this was 11 years ago. we arrested a guy and called his mom and said if you come get him, we will give him a personal bond. she said, "nope, he crazy, keep him". called his wife next and she said the same thing.
later in the day, he tried to kill two COs. he ended up dying. anyways, mom and wife immediately sues. took 6 years but we beat them and they haven't tried again.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8180 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw a news story about this as he has now been charged. Reportedly In addition to multiple departments in 4 years, its alleged that One of his 2 DUI’s resulted in other than honorable discharge from the military.

If true, I’m curious how does one get hired into LE with other than honorable discharge ? You can’t get hired into a lot less positions of trust with that on your history.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:

If true, I’m curious how does one get hired into LE with other than honorable discharge ? You can’t get hired into a lot less positions of trust with that on your history.

Perhaps other jobs can be picky. Small LE agencies are forced to take what they can get. And generally if they hire a lateral it’s 1- a retiree looking for a cozy retirement gig or 2- the dregs that nobody will hire. Or, they hire and send people to the academy. That’s a loser as well because if the new officer is good, they get picked up pretty quick by large agencies, state police or the feds.

The choice turns out to be hire a questionable hire, or don’t have shifts filled. Small agencies fail to provide service, something bad happens, and waiting an hour for a state trooper to show up causes people to pressure politicians. The politicians hire questionable people because that’s all they can afford. It’s a vicious cycle.

I don’t have an answer that is workable. This should be the one job that has high recruiting standards. But, without commissary pay and benefits, you get what you get. The vast majority of cops (on average) are poorly trained at best. Smaller agencies have little or no training. Worse than that little or no supervision. Not a great combination. These days throwing money at recruiting doesn’t fix the problem. People aren’t beating down the doors any longer.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37214 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Based on the video posted by OKCGene, I hope that deputy gets a needle in his arm until poison shoots out his asshole.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3891 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post