SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna Minivan, Updated With Question, Pg 4
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna Minivan, Updated With Question, Pg 4 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
It's just really touchy, like every little tap on the wheel and the thing wants to move. I guess over-responsive would be a better term to describe it? I just didn't feel like I had a feel for the road. It really wore on me driving on the highway, and usually I am a road warrior

This is truly my chief complaint. On a long drive to the beach, I arrive exhausted. I find myself death gripping the wheel and utilizing a lot of arm muscles in an controlled attempt to NOT move the wheel and to maintain my line on say, a sweeping bend or something. It's awful

Airman Jeff, please don't take my comment that your experiences are interesting the wrong way. I believe you and the steering you and r0gue describe perfectly describe the steering on my F-350. I've had the alignment checked three times and the first set of tires wore perfectly even across the tread. Our Odyessy, on the other hand, tracks straight and the wheel has a heavy feel to it. It's interesting that three people with the same vehicle have such different steering and makes me wonder what that difference is and if it could be the solution to my truck's steering.

That is strange, and I didn't take any offense to your first post I understood what you were saying. What year is your Odyssey? I said 2013 but I double checked and it was actually a 2012. Maybe the later models got this figured out? I don't think it was any worn suspension components because it happened basically from day one (the one trip to the outer banks was at under 1000 miles.) I was very disappointed because I was excited to buy the Odyssey and really wanted to like it. When my wife said she didn't like it either that gave me the green light to sell. We bought an MDX and that thing is like driving a sports car in comparison to the Odyssey. But wouldn't you know, at 60k miles I fear I may have the dreaded oil burn issue (jury is still out) Frown

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Ours is a 2012 EX-L that we bought it new in 2013.

Posts: 11616 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
We had a 2006 Sienna that started smoking at around 60,000 miles. We traded it for a 2012 Odyssey. I replaced the front brake pads and rotors at around 65,000 miles and the tires shortly after. Honda had a recall for our model and they replaced some of the piston's rings. At 130,000 miles now and I am going to replace the rear pads and rotors as well as all of the tires. I also had to replace the alternator about a month ago.

It has been a reliable and very convenient vehicle with us having two young kids. It also comes in handy when the grandparents travel with us because it is roomy and easy to get in and out. With the sliding doors, you don't have to worry about the kids accidentally opening them in to cars parked beside you.

Posts: 3247 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
OK, thanks for all the input everyone!

At this point, our budget for a van is $20,000-$25,000 so it's going to have to be a pre-owned model like 1-2 years old which is fine. I prefer the CarMax type places anyway than going to these sleazy new car dealers and being forced to play their games.

Question:

It looks like we may have found a potential buyer for the 2012 Mazda5 my wife has currently, it's a local person and someone we know. She's looking for something used under $8k and our Mazda seems to fit her requirements.

How does a private party sale work exactly when you still owe on the car being sold? We owe approximately $5,500 on it and KBB private party value for "very good condition" puts it at around $7,000. I've only ever gotten rid of cars I owed on via trade-ins.

Posts: 34541 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^ Assumption is that you would pay off the loan & the excess you would pocket? Not sure on title transfer.
All may sales/trades have been paid off, so no direct knowledge.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15981 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

At this point, our budget for a van is $20,000-$25,000 so it's going to have to be a pre-owned model like 1-2 years old which is fine. I prefer the CarMax type places anyway than going to these sleazy new car dealers and being forced to play their games.

Question:

It looks like we may have found a potential buyer for the 2012 Mazda5 my wife has currently, it's a local person and someone we know. She's looking for something used under $8k and our Mazda seems to fit her requirements.

How does a private party sale work exactly when you still owe on the car being sold? We owe approximately $5,500 on it and KBB private party value for "very good condition" puts it at around $7,000. I've only ever gotten rid of cars I owed on via trade-ins.

Call whoever has your vehicle financed. It can vary how they want it handled.
As there is likely a lien holder note on your title that will need to be cleared off before the title can be transfered.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25674 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Question:

Call whoever has your vehicle financed. It can vary how they want it handled.
As there is likely a lien holder note on your title that will need to be cleared off before the title can be transfered.

Yes, and try to have this setup in advance with the bank. I had a loan through PNC and it ended up taking weeks after I sold the car to get the poor buyer his lien release. PNC sucks - I paid the car off in cash at a PNC branch and it still took that long!

Any good bank should be able to do it in 48 hours or less.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
When my dad passed a couple years ago I inherited his 04 Town and Country. It has about 80k miles on it. It's still reliable and semi-comfortable. I wish the front seat would move about 4" farther back, and that the seat was wider and less squishy. I'm used to the seats in a Suburban or F-250.

The thing gets 23mpg on the highway and runs at 75mph without apparent strain. My wife loves it because it was my dad's. My friends laugh at my "tactical minivan".

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
We have an '04 Sienna LE (Front wheel drive). We bought it used in 2006 for about $22K, with 35K miles. It has been to Europe (Germany, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland, Italy) and back; multiple cross-country trips (VA to MO; VA to VT; VA to TX; Northern CA to FL; FL to VA, etc.) and just went over 180K miles yesterday.

We've had the usual maintenance done (oil change, transmission flush, A/C & radiator mx)...great gas mileage, easy to drive. The only thing we have had to think about fixing was the auto-closing passenger-side sliding door. At 179K miles, the wire got bound-up (through repeated usage; it rusted up and broke). We had our local garage repair the door so it would operate like a normal door. Our kids are older teens, so we don't sweat it.

I would get a second Sienna in a heartbeat...if we needed one.

Posts: 1726 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I vote grand caravan. I have 165,000 miles on it with zero problems. Change oil and brakes, that is it. Love the stow and go.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post