SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna Minivan, Updated With Question, Pg 4
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna Minivan, Updated With Question, Pg 4 Login/Join 
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
It is personal preference. They will both be reliable and top of class.

I'm not a mini-van guy but I agree with this.

Family of 6 and never went with a mini van.

Just could never do it.

---------------------------

My compromise with the wife was a Ridgeline.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7149 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Had an 05 odyssey. Nothing but problems. Constant failures of the power doors, valve issues, oil leaks, transmission problems. Axles, cv boots. Steering pump, AC failure. Pretty much everything that could go wrong did.

Once it hit 100K miles it nickle-dimed us to death.

Was never so glad to be rid of a vehicle. Never again.

Check out the Odyssey forum .

Posts: 3046 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I have never understood the lack of love for the Chrysler vans. I currently have two, a 2008 that my wife drives, and a 2002 that was our old one. It was so reliable that I just kept it as a knock-about, and it now has nearly 200K on it with no major mechanical issues. They are so convenient. You just step out of a minivan, no need to climb. You can haul a bunch of people or stuff. I'm not willing to let vanity interfere with the awesome utility of a minivan.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8273 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a 2011 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD for awhile now and like it, it has plenty of power, handles well, lots of space, but...

We were just considering switching to the Odyssey because the Odyssey is much better setup for car seats. We have two in forward facing car seats and one in an infant carrier. We have the two captains chairs so it's a real pain to clip in the oldest in the back row, we've tried all sorts of variations, but it's still a pain. With the 8 seat Odyssey, you have a lot more options about where to put car seats, and it has a lot more seats with the latch system and tethers for car seats.

We almost pulled the trigger on trading to an Odyssey but we're cheap and just can't justify the spending the money on it right now. For me, the Odyssey just seems more functional with kids right now.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I have never understood the lack of love for the Chrysler vans. I currently have two, a 2008 that my wife drives, and a 2002 that was our old one. It was so reliable that I just kept it as a knock-about, and it now has nearly 200K on it with no major mechanical issues. They are so convenient. You just step out of a minivan, no need to climb. You can haul a bunch of people or stuff. I'm not willing to let vanity interfere with the awesome utility of a minivan.

The Chrysler Pacifica has really good reviews, we were considering that as well.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
The Odyssey seats don't come out for the second row. Tilt some but that's it.

You've mentioned this before, so I did a little google research and I can't find any Odyssey built in the last 15 years that doesn't have removable second row seats. If switching configurations is something you will do often, the Chrysler has the advavtage. The seats are thinner and we found them less comfortable than the Odyssey seats. We've taken the second row out twice in the last four years to carry bulky items, but we also have a truck. Once when my wife cleaned out the garage and took stuff to Goodwill. Bye, bye double stroller. I take them out twice a year the thoroughly clean the interior.

The seats also slide sideways giving you more room to install three cars seats in the second row and the middle one slides forward 8 inches or so making it easier for someone in the front to tend to an infant strapped in a rear facing car seat.

I pulled the 2nd row seats out of a Odyssey last weekend while I was checking it out, much easier than my Sienna which has the built-in ottomans.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matai:
quote:
quote:

You've mentioned this before, so I did a little google research and I can't find any Odyssey built in the last 15 years that doesn't have removable second row seats. If switching configurations is something you will do often, the Chrysler has the advavtage. The seats are thinner and we found them less comfortable than the Odyssey seats. We've taken the second row out twice in the last four years to carry bulky items, but we also have a truck. Once when my wife cleaned out the garage and took stuff to Goodwill. Bye, bye double stroller. I take them out twice a year the thoroughly clean the interior.

The seats also slide sideways giving you more room to install three cars seats in the second row and the middle one slides forward 8 inches or so making it easier for someone in the front to tend to an infant strapped in a rear facing car seat.

I pulled the 2nd row seats out of a Odyssey last weekend while I was checking it out, much easier than my Sienna which has the built-in ottomans.

Yea but you know those hooks that you pulled the seats out of? Have fun trying to clean in there. Dirt/crumbs/liquids tend to find their way into that area. I know from experience. That thing was a total pain in the ass to keep clean.

We bought a brand new Odyssey in 2013. Hated it. Even my wife didn't like it. It's big and feels big, like you're driving a land yacht. Terrible to drive on the highway as the power steering is boosted to the max and you lose all feel for the road. It ate tires and brakes for lunch. We had it for about 2.5 years - 35k miles - and ditched it. In hindsight I would have looked closer at the Sienna or even the Dodge. I don't think Honda has the huge advantage that they used to over American car companies. We had a few minor problems with ours. It made this weird clunking/squeeking sound while turning at slow speeds. I looked it up and there was a TSB issued over improperly lubricated suspension components. A minor inconvenience but an inconvenience nonetheless. We also had a wicked rattle from the tailgate going over bumps, and I heard there was a TSB for that but I never took it in and just sold it. I was surprised it wasn't easy to sell on the open market either, but I heard a lot of minivans are like that.

Oh and I think the 8 passenger capability is very overrated. I think in the time we had it, we never had that many people in there. We may have had 7 in there once or twice.

I don't think it's terrible but if I had to do it again I would buy the Dodge to be honest, and just drive it into the ground. Or buy sonething used. Definitely would not buy anything new, 35 grand for these things is crazy. They lose value quick and are not easy to sell on the used market.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yea but you know those hooks that you pulled the seats out of? Have fun trying to clean in there. Dirt/crumbs/liquids tend to find their way into that area. I know from experience. That thing was a total pain in the ass to keep clean.

We bought a brand new Odyssey in 2013. Hated it. Even my wife didn't like it. It's big and feels big, like you're driving a land yacht. Terrible to drive on the highway as the power steering is boosted to the max and you lose all feel for the road. It ate tires and brakes for lunch. We had it for about 2.5 years - 35k miles - and ditched it. In hindsight I would have looked closer at the Sienna or even the Dodge. I don't think Honda has the huge advantage that they used to over American car companies. We had a few minor problems with ours. It made this weird clunking/squeeking sound while turning at slow speeds. I looked it up and there was a TSB issued over improperly lubricated suspension components. A minor inconvenience but an inconvenience nonetheless. We also had a wicked rattle from the tailgate going over bumps, and I heard there was a TSB for that but I never took it in and just sold it. I was surprised it wasn't easy to sell on the open market either, but I heard a lot of minivans are like that.

Oh and I think the 8 passenger capability is very overrated. I think in the time we had it, we never had that many people in there. We may have had 7 in there once or twice.

I don't think it's terrible but if I had to do it again I would buy the Dodge to be honest, and just drive it into the ground. Or buy sonething used. Definitely would not buy anything new, 35 grand for these things is crazy. They lose value quick and are not easy to sell on the used market.

Definitely wouldn't buy new, it's like throwing a $100 bill out the window every day. My Sienna just hit 100k, no mechanical problems at all, only thing we don't like is the car seat limitations, oh and the small backup camera display.

I also only suggest the 8 seater for car seat flexibility if that's an issue, you can always remove the middle seat in the 2nd row.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

The Chrysler Pacifica has really good reviews, we were considering that as well.

We are two months in to our Pacifica and it is great to drive. We've had vans from '89, '95, '00, and '08, but this is the best one yet.

Posts: 1361 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
We are going to be going down the rabbit hole within a year. I have a 2015 Accord and am leaning towards Odyssey. 2018 is a new generation, 2017 has more deals now. One thing I like, that you can get on a 2017 EX-L is the camera on the right rearview mirror that activates on your right turn signal or by push button. You have to go top of the line Touring to have that in 2018... I like the more horsepower in 2018, but the transmission has me concerned regarding relibility.

Posts: 2601 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I wrote a couple of pages back that the transmission reliability problem seems to have been licked quite a while back, and others confirmed that.
We bought our 2006 Odyssey with 85,000 miles on it; CarFax showed it had been babied since new and it looked and drove like it. The only thing wrong was a bad motor mount which the dealer fixed under his warranty with no hassle.
We do plan to drive ours beyond 200,000 miles.
Yes we did the timing belt change, that's a given.

Posts: 18351 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Sliding doors and low loading height for the win. Way more practical than an SUV.

I'm going to skip the minivan phase and go straight to a Mercedes Sprinter Van...6 cyl. diesel with 4x4.

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
We bought a brand new Odyssey in 2013. Hated it. Even my wife didn't like it. It's big and feels big, like you're driving a land yacht. Terrible to drive on the highway as the power steering is boosted to the max and you lose all feel for the road. It ate tires and brakes for lunch. We had it for about 2.5 years - 35k miles...

Interesting observations. Our 2012 feels small and low to the ground. On the other had, my DD is an F-350 Crew Cab, long bed, 4x4. It drives fine as long as you are smooth and don't push it to far. If you aren't smooth in corners, it wallows. I've accepted this because it's a minivan. The steering on ours is a bit heavy, even at freeway speeds. We're at 40,000 miles on the original brakes and replaced the tires once at 32,000 miles. I've never gotten more than that out of OEM tires on any vehicle, so it doesn't eat tires in my experience. Now we only get 8,000 miles out of the rear tires on our S2000. I would call that eating tires.

Posts: 11616 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
We bought a brand new Odyssey in 2013. Hated it. Even my wife didn't like it. It's big and feels big, like you're driving a land yacht. Terrible to drive on the highway as the power steering is boosted to the max and you lose all feel for the road. It ate tires and brakes for lunch. We had it for about 2.5 years - 35k miles...

Interesting observations. Our 2012 feels small and low to the ground. On the other had, my DD is an F-350 Crew Cab, long bed, 4x4. It drives fine as long as you are smooth and don't push it to far. If you aren't smooth in corners, it wallows. I've accepted this because it's a minivan. The steering on ours is a bit heavy, even at freeway speeds. We're at 40,000 miles on the original brakes and replaced the tires once at 32,000 miles. I've never gotten more than that out of OEM tires on any vehicle, so it doesn't eat tires in my experience. Now we only get 8,000 miles out of the rear tires on our S2000. I would call that eating tires.

We went through two sets of pads in 35k miles. Granted, this is my wife driving and not me, so anything is possible. At 35k miles we were 10k deep on our second set of michelins. I heard it's pretty common to replace them at 20-25k miles. That's crazy to me.

The highway stuff I witnessed first hand. I drove it to the outer banks twice and to Ocean City, MD a dozen or so times. It's just really touchy, like every little tap on the wheel and the thing wants to move. I guess over-responsive would be a better term to describe it? I just didn't feel like I had a feel for the road. It really wore on me driving on the highway, and usually I am a road warrior (I've driven to Texas from MD several times, Florida several times, Kentucky and back in one day, etc.) My 2014 silverado is much easier (more comfortable?) to drive on the highway. Pretty much every other car I have ever driven in my life is more comfortable to drive on the highway in comparison to the Odyssey.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have never understood the lack of love for the Chrysler vans.

Had a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan as my previous vehicle (as in before the 2015 Sienna). Was great until about 40K miles, after that it was all downhill. Had some electrical problems but the big issue was I'd be accelerating then poof, check engine light and the engine cut to 30mph max and it basically wouldn't accelerate. 2 different dodge dealers looked at it over a year and couldn't figure it out. Said it didn't show any codes when I would bring it in (even though the check engine light was still on). They replaced everything they could think of twice.... and still it would happen.

Also just a general observation but the Sienna is much more refined and smoother riding than the Dodge offering.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4576 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Whatever your decision I would suggest to NOT buy a Honda in black.
They look just like a Hearse looking at it from the rear quarter.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4600 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's just really touchy, like every little tap on the wheel and the thing wants to move. I guess over-responsive would be a better term to describe it? I just didn't feel like I had a feel for the road. It really wore on me driving on the highway, and usually I am a road warrior

This is truly my chief complaint. On a long drive to the beach, I arrive exhausted. I find myself death gripping the wheel and utilizing a lot of arm muscles in an controlled attempt to NOT move the wheel and to maintain my line on say, a sweeping bend or something. It's awful

Posts: 11432 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had Chrysler Caravan then Honda Odyssey. No comparison between the two. In fairness price point was different as well. Let's say this. I would never buy a Chrysler again at any price point. It ran fine but it was dedeviled by the worst suspension ever put on a minivan. I think it was meant for a car that weighed much less. Just a guess but it was awful.

Honda never gav a problem, only traded it in when we moved to AWD country.

Drive them both, ask dealer to let you keep them overnight. Mechanically they are both going to be dead nuts reliable and drive well. It will be the details that make the difference. How slow/fast the power doors, power outlets, sitting comfort, etc. Put your cell phone where you would keep it and try out your favorite drink mug. That kind of thing.

In the end both are good choices.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
My wife and I loved our Odyssey (03). It was very reliable until the transmission went out. had it rebuilt and then 2 weeks later a dump trailer filled with gravel) came unhitched crossed the cement traffic barrier and crashed into the side. It pushed the entire side of the van in 4-6 inches and my wife still drove it home. Took a hell of a hit. I took it on a mountain bike trip with friends and it hauled 4 guys, bike and equipment like a champ. I would recommend the Honda to anyone. Toyota's are also nice

It was totaled of course. went 3 years with a forestor and now we have a pilot.

I have no doubts we would have driven it to 200k.

Posts: 7865 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
It's just really touchy, like every little tap on the wheel and the thing wants to move. I guess over-responsive would be a better term to describe it? I just didn't feel like I had a feel for the road. It really wore on me driving on the highway, and usually I am a road warrior

This is truly my chief complaint. On a long drive to the beach, I arrive exhausted. I find myself death gripping the wheel and utilizing a lot of arm muscles in an controlled attempt to NOT move the wheel and to maintain my line on say, a sweeping bend or something. It's awful

Airman Jeff, please don't take my comment that your experiences are interesting the wrong way. I believe you and the steering you and r0gue describe perfectly describe the steering on my F-350. I've had the alignment checked three times and the first set of tires wore perfectly even across the tread. Our Odyessy, on the other hand, tracks straight and the wheel has a heavy feel to it. It's interesting that three people with the same vehicle have such different steering and makes me wonder what that difference is and if it could be the solution to my truck's steering.

Posts: 11616 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post