SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone using a antique wood fired stove to cook on outdoors?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone using a antique wood fired stove to cook on outdoors? Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
I have a chance to pick up a very ornate wood fired kitchen stove for almost nothing. It’s from the early 1900’s and I would call it a survivor. All the ornate porcelain pieces on it are still in beautiful condition. I’m thinking about incorporating into a outdoor kitchen I’ve been planning at our lake property. I’ve been running wood fired smokers for many years so my fire management skills for cooking fires are solid.

Not sure how the stove is going to take to being outdoors all year in northern Minnesota. The outdoor kitchen is sheltered but not entirely enclosed. So it’s going to sit snow covered all winter and will go through cycles of wet/dry with morning condensation and afternoon sun. It might be a shame to expose such a nice stove to the elements and have it deteriorate in a couple years. But I don’t want to get something that looks junky either. Part of me says to can the whole idea and just do a built in flat top griddle as was my original plan. My wood fired smoker already does a lot of kitchen duty.

I just can’t shake loose of the idea though. Any input from anyone using one would be welcomed.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8537 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Can you incorporate a a combined backsplash/cover in the design? When using the stove it would be up, when not in use it hinges down to protect the stove from the elements. If you use some type of metal or ceramic you could drop the cover while the stove is hot.

Another option would be something along the lines of a cover for outdoor furniture. The downside is that the stove would need to be cool to cover it.

I like the idea, and a simple cover of some type would provide a level of protection.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 721 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
if you leave it outside Rust will eventually find the weak points, it's inevitable. Even covered you have to make sure that moisture can be evacuated, a heavy plastic cover will retain any condensation under it, so be sure it's a breathable cover.

I'd go for it, since it's a low cost unit, see if you can find the best way to protect it.

Be sure to put some pictures up.

Posts: 23560 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
You’d wind up with a heavy, rusty, inefficient, wood consuming, decorative monster, but if I were you, I’d grab it in a second. I really would. If you leave it outside it is quite likely someone will steal it.
If you have a lot of bio debris available, one of these babies could make your breakfast. Link

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes I’ve considered covers of some type but as mentioned they bring other considerations. It would almost have to be a custom fit cover that would somehow attach as not to blow away in high winds which we get regularly. I think what has me hooked is the uniqueness of both the stove and the idea. I have looked at literally thousands of outdoor kitchen designs looking for ideas and have not once seen anyone incorporate a antique wood kitchen stove into one. Like most of these hair brained ideas I get I let them simmer a week or two and I will usually make the right call.

It will be a beast to move and put in place so I only want to do this once. As mentioned rust will eventually get to it because hi temp coatings only last so long. It’s sitting in the guys pole barn right now so no hurry.

Posts: 8537 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Sounds like fun.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
outdoor kitchen as in completely open to the elements?

could you incorporate a partial covered area (2 walls, at a 90 or so and a roof? for the stove area?

jsut something to keep most of the snow and rain off,
not sure if a good heavy canvas tarp would work on the other sides in the wind,

another thought, depend on carpentry skills,

one static wall, and hinge the other 3, so they look and work like a clamshell,

as in a back wall that does not move, Stove in place in front of it, and the other 3 would be moveable,

hinges on the side or the static wall, split the other front wall and have it open like a clamshell, (rollers or wheels to support when locked and when moved, )

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10434 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
"Summer kitchen" and quite common in the old days, though I don't know if they used cast iron stoves or just brick.

Posts: 21118 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used one in my shop for several years - more as a coffee maker than a real cook stove. In my very youthful years, I was raised in a home where all of our meals were cooked on a wood cook stove. Based on my experience with them, I would strongly advise not using it in an exposed-to-the-weather atmosphere. It will deteriorate very rapidly and not be usable eventually. I would let the old girl go to someone that can appreciate it's history and preservation status. (But then I am an old man who appreciates things that were once very useful and worthy of their keep - including me!)

Posts: 1627 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southern Rebel:
I have used one in my shop for several years - more as a coffee maker than a real cook stove. In my very youthful years, I was raised in a home where all of our meals were cooked on a wood cook stove. Based on my experience with them, I would strongly advise not using it in an exposed-to-the-weather atmosphere. It will deteriorate very rapidly and not be usable eventually. I would let the old girl go to someone that can appreciate it's history and preservation status. (But then I am an old man who appreciates things that were once very useful and worthy of their keep - including me!)

I agree. I'd find a more outdoor appropriate option.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree Southern Rebel. Once the design is built with the stove part of it there’s really no going back. Like I said I don’t want it to deteriorate over a few years and lose its luster and beauty. I’m really leaning towards taking a pass on it and hopefully it finds its way into someone’s home or cabin. I’ll try to get a pic of it and post it.

drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Love the idea of rescue of the old wood stove but don"t do it. As you described the non-climate controlled enviroment in a short period of time it would be a worthless pile of rust. Then what do you do about having to maybe remodel the outdoor kitchen for a replacement to fit?? .. The cost is looking good now but what about down the road cost. ..................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2021 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post