SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Found a decent stopgap gaming laptop to tide me over.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found a decent stopgap gaming laptop to tide me over. Login/Join 
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted
Maybe you recall my past threads about building a new PC, or better yet, two new PC's for the houses.

I had also considered, getting a laptop with some gaming specs to use as a stopgap before I build my new big honkin' desktop.

I found a good deal at Microcenter today on a new Lenovo laptop.

I was actually looking at an HP with a Ryzen 5, 8gb DDR 4, 512 SSD, and an NVIDIA 1650 4GB card for 549.99

I was about to pull the trigger when I asked the sales guy what else he had one step up, and he pointed me to this one, a Ryzen 7 8 core, 16gb DDR 5, 512 SSD and Nvidia RTX 3050 4GB dedicated video card for 200.00 more.

Double the ram (which would have cost 50 bucks to make the other one 16gb (and it would still be DDR4, not 5), not to mention a faster processor and much newer faster video card made it worth it.

So for 749.99 I got this one, and it's pretty decent. On a good sale at Microcenter if anyone else is looking. This will certainly do what I need until I can build the new desktop this winter.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Sounds pretty good. I was reading the specs on the first one and thinking "that's not that good", then the specs on the second one and thinking "huh that one's pretty good"...

Glad you're happy. Now you have a super powerful minecraft machine Razz

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
That does sound like a decent price. August of last year, I was seeing Dell laptops with great specs and 1 TB SSD. I was considering buying one but I figure I can still use my laptop until a couple of years after Windows 11 debut.

I wish I had bought one then because the prices have gone up and finding one with 1 TB SSD is difficult. At least, I don't see it in the 15.6" laptops I'm looking at.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Dumb question. What makes a good gaming pc and why? For all the components you listed, what role do they play in gaming, what’s enough and what is limiting? How does this compare with something like a new Xbox? Why not just buy an Xbox? I’m not a gamer. Just curious. I’ve played call of duty before. It was fun and may like to play again.

Is Pc better than Xbox? It’s not obvious to me why and what attributes you’re really improving.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Dumb question. What makes a good gaming pc and why? For all the components you listed, what role do they play in gaming, what’s enough and what is limiting? How does this compare with something like a new Xbox? Why not just buy an Xbox? I’m not a gamer. Just curious. I’ve played call of duty before. It was fun and may like to play again.

Well, multiple questions.

What games? "games" is a different animal and question.

Games like solitare, or games like modern first person shooters (Call of Duty, ETC) or graphics intensive games, require a good bit of power for graphics rendering.

So, for that stuff, the video card.

That can be handled by the CPU unit, and that is improving a lot these days, but for real gaming, you need a stand along GPU that renders the things on the screen. It has it's own processor, and RAM dedicated to nothing but putting the images on your screen.

Those require a few things, power, as in they draw a lot of power from the wall, or battery, or whatever, and they generate a lot of heat. That's hard enough in a desktop computer, and magnified in a laptop.

Is Pc better than Xbox? It’s not obvious to me why and what attributes you’re really improving.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

And for the followup, yes, a PC can be WAY better than an Xbox... But probably not the one I bought.

Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
The graphics card alone is worth the jump.

What is funny is I did a similar thing, and 'settled' for a laptop rather than build a new system because the graphics card I wanted was not available.

That was FIVE years ago and I am still using the laptop today. The games I do play on it, it does just fine. I upgraded the memory last year to 32gb and put a 2TB SSD in it. Really smokes now.

The graphics card scarcity is the number one reason I have not built my 'new PC' but I havent really had to either.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3590 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What PC games are you all playing ??? God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey,

My Lenover thinkpad is on life support.

Did the middle computer dance.

Gateway lives (totally different company).

Got a 17 inch Gateway from Walmart .com.

17 inch screen, 16gb ram, 1 TB m2 drive.
RTX 3050 4 GB

8 core 16 thread I7

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Absolutely Positively-
Retired
Picture of ace73
posted Hide Post
I thought my Dell gaming laptop was pretty good until I came across this website. Turns out it’s not that good for some of the games I want!
https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Posts: 1182 | Location: Detroit/Downriver | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
ace73, according to that place I can run 99 out of the top 100 games.

Device name MSI
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.60 GHz
Installed RAM 64.0 GB (63.8 GB usable)
Device ID DB717649-285E-4F0A-9764-DC2F2A3CD0F6
Product ID 00325-81476-12543-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post